View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse View Post
Baffert whining like Coburn.

"Longshots are always the biggest danger to a horse like Game on Dude," Baffert said. "They always want to go after him. I hate to see that. I think he was gonna' win if they hadn't gone after him like that. It's frustrating to train a horse and get him ready for his biggest race and have a horse who has no shot to win take that chance away."

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz3BO7s1VPv
While ridiculous, I don't think Bob's comments are in the same category as Coburn's at all. Coburn's were beyond unsportsmanlike. Bob's grousing about longshot speed horses like people are out to get him or something. It's just being willfully oblivious to the obligations of other connections to their horse to set him up the best they could--a bit like Mine That Bird's in the Preakness where they clearly thought it was unfair to have to deal with un-nominated Rachel, to the point of trying to get another horse to enter to keep her out. They weren't shy about their frustration with her being in the race. There isn't a rule that there can only be one speed horse and who says they gotta be one of the favorites to warrant entering them? You don't get to have the race your way and anybody trying to keep you from that isn't just a big stupidhead. Mystery Train's connections knew what their horse was good at and had him do it. If Bob'd done his research he'd know that this horse's running style was a threat. Like GoD is the only horse that needs to be up there.

Mystery Train wasn't 'going after' GoD. He was trying to win. Didn't obviously, but he's not nobody. A MG1W in Argentina isn't a bum. He ran 2000m in 1:58.31 which was a NTR there. And Shared Belief's the one who took the chance away. Deal with it, Bob. Nobody let you get away with being loose on the lead. Boo hoo.