View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 04:35 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Have a heart, Freddy...and read the PPs.

It was a field loaded with a bunch of unproven speed-types...and a multiple Grade 1 winner. There were only 2 closers in the race to begin with. And what closers they were.

Sittin On Go hadn't passed a single horse in the stretch since September of last year and Defunded was unfortunately ridden by Irad Ortiz who must have taken advice in the jock's room from the horse's last rider, Mike Smith.
Some reasonably good stock and NONE took a step forward, yet all were highly thought of taking a shot in a stake. Yes, I realize owners and trainers are often wrong. Chad said, "the race came up tough," so he took a shot with another Ok horse on turf in a stake vs. running in the race. I find it hard to believe only one other horse in that race could run an 80 BSF. It also suggests that while his 6f speed has not been dulled by trying to stretch him out, JW now is 10pts slower than his Champagne in his 3rd start as a 3yr old on a cutback. I understand the fig as it relates to the mdn SPL winner earlier on the card. It's just an interesting discussion, it's not meant to criticize the people that used 91 to describe the race.