View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanman View Post
I've been racing in 16 other countries and the likelihood of the #7 being disqualified is next to nil.

The reason for that is very simple, many of those jurisdictions have racing on tracks that are undulating and uneven, which is exactly what CD was today - uneven. With the amount of rain it took, it was impossible for the track to be even throughout. In the far turn, it was apparant that the #7 was not getting a hold of the track and did bare out at the apex, slightly impediing the #1 The #20 was not impacted by the contract at all. Saez has his stick in his right hand and it is very likely that due to the uneven nature of the track and that the centripital force of the turn caused him to bare out.

Both the #1 and the #20 had slightly over a quarter of a mile to run down the #7 in the stretch. Each were given a fair opportunity to win the race, but they could not. The #7 was clearly the fastest horse, even drawing away in the last 100 yards or so. I would be curious to know how much consideration the stewards gave to the state of the track in making their decision. If CD issues steward reports, I would be interested in reading this one.

Sadly, their decision makes racing in the US look like a "clown show" and it's not as if we haven't had/have enough problems as it is. It's no wonder that no one new wants to get involved in the sport when they see the travesty that was perpetrated today.

Simply put, horses run in races to determine who is the fastest. Normally, the fastest horse is the winner. Unfortunately, that didn't happen today.