Thread: Perfect Drift
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 05:24 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
For the record ...

... this was the first time ... in over 4,500 posts on various Forums ... that I have ever commented about Perfect Drift.

Steve and I ... and many other keen racing observers ... are correct about him ... he pulls himself up when no one is in front of him ... that's why he has so many places and shows relative to his wins.
This is mostly legend. It isn't really true, at least not in the last 3 years. It happened Saturday. He never led in his 3rd place finish in the BC last year. He never led in his 4th place in Hawthorne GC last year. HE never led in his 3rd place Foster finish last year. He never led his 2nd place Pacific Classic finish last year, both he and Borrego closed strong wearing down Lava Man. He won the Washington Park Hdcp. He never led the Clark last year finishing 3rd. He never led Roses in May his 2 seconds to him in 2004 (if he did lead it was quite narrow as they were side by side.) He never led the Foster in his 3rd there in 2004. He never led finishing 4th in the BC. He never led finishing 3rd in the Clark in 2004 behind St Liam. He did lead the Hawthorne God Cup when Freefourinternet ran him down. I don't remember much his 4 year old year, but he won a lot more so I am guessing it didn't happen much.

I've basically got 2 races his last 4 years when he was caught on the lead in the stretch, Saturday and the 2004 Hawthorne GC. (Perhaps his turf allowance this year as well, but I don't count that one.) His high number of 2nds and 3rds are mainly because he RARELY IF EVER HAS A LEAD, not because he is giving up leads.

Last edited by horseofcourse : 06-19-2006 at 06:22 AM.