Thread: Perfect Drift
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Cunningham Racing

What a heart breaker...I bet 'Drift' based on his value and how the race would set up.....when he made the lead at the top of that long stretch I turned to my Dad and said, "He'll never hold on that long...somebody will get him"..and sure enough, he got nailed and I lost the Pick 4 and A LOT more on that single NOSE-loss...

The thing about Drift that everybody whop keeps up with him knows, is that he is top-shelf but doesn't like to win the close ones where he has to gut out the victory....I knew that long stretch lead would be difficult for him but he actually held better than I thought...nice ole horse....too bad he is a gelding.

The way I ended up on him (aside from the fact he figured to get a great setup) was that I just ame to the general conclusion that this year's handicap horses are not as good as last year's, so if Drift, who loves CD and the Foster distance, could run back to anything close to his BC Classic effort iof last fall then I thought that would put him right there at the wire at 10-1....it worked, but I should've known he wouldn't win it if it was close..

I had a friend call me after the race and say, "Man, I know you crushed that race because you know how to bet Perfect Drift."..and I said What are you talking about....he said, "You were always the one who said he could run second to anyone in the world so just back wheel him in the EX and TRI and it would have produced a $1,000 EX"...didn't do it though