View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE View Post
Materiality missed the break and got shuffled way back , he starts to pick it up on the backside and was really flying late. I don't think Pletcher runs him back in Baltimore , but he showed a lot to me to handle all he did today and could be a real Belmont contender. I don't know what happened to Upstart and Carpe Diem just spit the bit. California horses again in the Derby going 1,2,3. I thought Frosted also tried his best with an unfavorable pace set up.
Agree with all of these points. I think Materiality has nothing but improvement ahead. I was shocked that Dortmund made the lead, and that the pace was as pedestrian as it was. He could not have and a better trip, relative to the amount of ground loss American Pharaoh needed to overcome, and may be a nice miler.

American Pharaoh may be even better in Baltimore. I'd love to see the Trackus as he clearly ran further than anyone else, and while maybe not as physically impressive in victory, the stats will bear out how much extra work he had to do.

Frosted closing like a shot into an non-existent pace was visually, the most impressive performance outside of AP's victory. Danzig Moon stalking and staying on was great to see. He just gets better with every race.