View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 04:34 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
God created horses and evolved their physiques and bio-mechanics over centuries of time to be tailored to perform in their natural environs in the wild – which are almost exclusively DIRT ranges and GRASS pastures and fields. They were NOT born to run over chopped-up rubber tires and synthetic fibers with wax-coated sand mixed in…….Oh how our sport will change because of this…oh how our sport will change……..
Cunningham I thought you knew something about the Natural History of horses. Oracle you too.
For at least the past 400 years humans have intestively bred horses to perform many functions. The draft horses, the pack animals etc... You and I on this board have taken a particular liking to those bred to run on tracks. Horses did not evolve naturally to run in ovals on the dirt. WE, human beings, have selectively bred these animals to perform their current functions. Certain behaviors such as social herd heirarchy and other behaviors are highly ingrained. But we, human beings, have drastically changed the physique and biomechanics of these animals thru selective breeding. The same can be done for polytrack. Why all the fuss right now Cunningham? Its not like selective breeding just started with thoroughbreds. As far as God creating the current form of animal we are looking at... oh boy, I'll stop there. Read the above. Look at what HUMANS have done thru selective breeding to Dogs, Corn, etc... the list is endless.

And I am withholding opinions on Polytrack until more data is in. And far as the complaints about the crud getting into the horses lungs and causing major problems, etc... thats laughable. Ask any vet who knows what they are doing and ask them how much dirt gets in horses lungs. When complaints are made about polytrac that are patently false, the people who put forth these claims make themselves look to be disingenious. And then when one cries wolf when the wolf is actually present, one is not taken seriously.