View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
I have two words for you guys - Bellamy Road.

I have been around long enough that I try to resist getting too overcome with enthusiasm about a horse based on one superior race. (Remember Daaher?) Good race on a track that didn't seem kind to closers. Too bad he will be given time off to lose condition rather than another race to bring him on before the Derby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
First, I would say he has at least two, and maybe three superior races.

Second, the track didn't appear speed favoring. The 1st race was won last to first. Chelokee and Sugar Swirl rated a few lengths back and won. Same thing in races 8, 9, and 12.
Agree- this is NOT Bellamy Road (who, in fairness, didn't run all that bad in that Derby. Outside of Closing Argument, who ran a ridiculously good race, none of the other pacesetters finished anywhere close.) He has THREE superior races under his belt. Curlin would be a much fairer comparison.

Third, it would be silly to run this horse again before the Derby. What exactly do they have to gain, besides potentially knocking him out with his fragile feet? The experience factor is lessened this year as the competition isn't strong. Point head, click heels, run fast. One more start in a G3 against overmatched types wouldn't offer the Derby 'experience'.