View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

I think the last race on the card on Saturday at AQU would have got the exact same field, minus maybe Minescape and Smokin Hero, and possibly plus an extra plodding router or two if it had been carded at 9f instead of 8f.

It's a pet peeve of mine, and probably mine alone, but it's always a little easier to feel confident when you have an extra 2-turn dirt race to work with.

Had the Gazelle not been carded on this day, and with the weather like it was, I think it would have put people trying to gauge the fractions and final time in a trickier spot than they'd ideally want to be in.

I'm sure these are matters that a racing secretary couldn't care less about ... but I was struck by how incredibly rare standalone two turn dirt routes (or stakes run at standalone distances that day even) were on major racing days in the old days.

Even a race like the Belmont Stakes at a rarely run distance of 12f would usually have at least one companion race. They'd run a maiden race at 12f on dirt a lot of times on Belmont Stakes day. I don't know if that was just coincidence or what.