View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
It's not normal to regularly have fields of 8+ where there's no superfecta. They only have supers on the 4th, 6th, and 9th on a regular weekday card. On a day like today, they have no super on the 1st (9 horses), 2nd (11 horses), 3rd (12 horses), 5th (11 horses), 7th (12 horses), and 8th (12 horses). That's lunacy.

They have only one Pick 4 and limited Pick 3s, as you referenced. The two daily doubles per day are well behind the times.

Oaklawn's biggest problem is they cater FAR too much to the local customers. That's nice of them, but it ignores racing in the modern day and goes a long way towards why 1/3rd of their handle on weekends is on-track.

They regularly handle less than Fair Grounds and Tampa Bay on Saturdays because they do a HORRIBLE job of managing their post times and have limited wagering options.

I like Oaklawn, but is a grossly mis-managed racetrack.
I agree with this completely. I enjoy playing Oaklawn when I am on track which is about once a year, but really find it hard to play it otherwise. Would it kill them to have rolling doubles? How about just having a double between the Azeri and the Rebel? Seems to me that modernizing their wagering options would go a long way to increasing handle.