View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Cunningham Racing

Frankly, he looked poor in the flesh on the walkover for whatever reason...his coat was rather dull and he didn't inspire. Additionally, he is still green and a big kid IMO...he never looked comfortable all race and was tight and checked going into the first turn and never settled...I'm starting to wonder if his sire is Johanessburg or Dollar Bill after his first 5 starts of his career.....sheesh...

Also, he was the ONLY horse to track a fast pace and still be around at the wire - 4th - and did that despite racing very wide and well off of the golden rail that propelled Street Sense to an easy victory as if he were on a conveyor belt...it almost looked like the old Keeneland...

Personally, I am unsure how far Scat Daddy will go, but I think 1 1/16 miles is within his reach. Funny you mentioned More Than Ready because that is exactly who I liken him to, actually.

He is one of the best of his generation and I think he'll show it. Street Sense is also nice and has also been a "clocker's horse" around CD and one of the better babies on the grounds in KY. Plus, you know Street Sense will improve in a slow barn and with the pedigree to be better as he gets older.

The Breeders' Cup is what it is.....its almost like the Derby in that the best horses rarely win for whatever reason. IMO, the only horses that won Saturday who I can firmly believe to be the best horses in each of their respective division was Dreaming of Anna, who was a standout on the sheets and was just much faster than the others in the Juv. Fillies (but even she got a golden rail trip, so who knows?) AND of course - Ouija Board.

For whatever reason, most of the best horses were either up against a bias or didn't run their best races, etc. and that is why the average win payoff on a BC race is like somewhere around $28....the best horses don't always win..

Scat Daddy will be okay...its just a shame to me that Bernie didn't fire his best shot and now we'll never really know how good he was.....I'm pissed they retired him..