View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
I think his efforts at Gulfstream can be ignored, as you can make a case that the injury that laid him up for a few months was affecting his winter performances.

The worry with this colt at the moment is distance. I thought he ran his race in the BC, stalking and pouncing, before ultimately wilting in the stretch. His PA Derby wasn't particularly pretty the final furlong either, switching leads and having his lead cut in half by Ruler On Ice when it looked like he'd win by a pole at the head of the lane.

It'll be interesting to see if he's given a rest and comes back targeting the Met Mile or keeps on rolling through Gulfstream. The Donn early in the year seems logical, but there's no real place to go after that, unless he wants to blow his wad in Dubai.
He was on the wrong lead in the PA Derby, something that concerned me going into the Classic. Ruler on Ice made up ground, but the final margin was deceiving as it looked because To Honor and Serve was on his wrong lead. Grening of DRF said that he also went onto his wrong lead in that race. I'm not concerned yet about the distance as one race (he has won 3 at 1 1/8 ) where he faded, but not terribly (not like he finished in the back of the pack) is not sufficient for me to judge whether he can or can not get the 1 1/4. Until Fall at Belmont, it won't matter anyway.