View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
To digress, it was kind of curious that Stall cutback the Blame sister to 7f after a sharp score routing. But with Bind, who seems to want to be a frontrunner (not sure what's wrong with that really) and who wilted in his first route try, they choose to run back at a route and against older horses (no mean feat for a 3yo this time of year no matter the class level). And yet there is a 7f first level allowance for straight 3yos later on the card.

Guess the pressure to make the Preakness was on.
I don't know that 'wilted' is the word I'd use. He ran extremely fast fractions (some of the fastest I've seen going two turns at FG in recent years) and was just edged late while being 12 clear of third. He fought the rider that day, so I think they overreacted and tried to get him to settle in the mornings. Not only did that not work, but they pissed away a race that was theirs to lose by strangling him back and passing on an easy lead.

He's finished pretty well considering the circumstances both times routing, so I don't think a cutback is necessary. They just have to let him use his speed and hopefully as he matures, he'll be able to ration it better than he did at Fair Grounds. But that abomination of a ride he got today told us nothing.