View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
HBut I have to admit that I was a bit suprised when JV went right to the lead. I know the fractions weren't that quick, but I just figured that he would try to get that garden stalking spot (plus get him accustomed to some tight quarters/dirt in the face). Then at the top of the stretch you figured he would just kick it in and pull away and there was still nothing. On top of that JV did that patented ridiculous look behind him move and you figured he still had some horse, but he was absolutely empty.
I don't think he tried for the lead, but nobody else went, so what is he going to do? Rein the horse in and risk traffic trouble while letting some horse with less speed than him go by? He knew the other riders were going to try to beat him at all costs, so I think he was hesitant to get covered up if he didn't have to. Plus, like you said, the fractions weren't very quick. On the lead or off of it, he was going to lose today.

Watching the replay, I think his stride looked a little weird going around the turn, like he was reaching out and trying hard to keep up even though Velazquez hadn't asked him yet.