Thread: baseball moves
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I dont think this will create fan interest. As a matter of fact I dont think there was much non-Strausberg interest anyway.

Winning creates fan interest (except tampa, sorry Bigs/rudeboy)

They need their homegrown guys to create a strong base and then add to fill in the holes. Right now there are just too many holes. Second base, 1st base, left field, the bullpen, center field, the entire rotation, catcher.

The thing is they have pieces. Zimmerman the 3rd baseman is a very good player, Zimmerman the pitcher is probably the best pitcher they have coming into the season. Desmond at SS is pretty good. Espinosa at 2nd base may be ok. they have 2 really good catching prospects a year or 2 away. Obviously Strausberg. Obviously Harper.There are some pitching prospects a few years away. If they keep signing guys that are in their prime now but will be in decline in a few years they will hamstring themselves when they should be peaking AND raise the expectations too high now and maybe really do something dumb like trade prospects at the deadline.
I will give them a little credit. They are doing a pretty darn good job of marketing these days.

They did a bad job with the stadium design in that it is about as boring as you get but they do a really good job of making it extremely fan friendly.

On the baseball side, they have made some pretty poor moves starting with not trading adam dunn at the break for prospects and then letting him go for nothing.