View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Huh? Speed was good on Sunday. And Rachel doesn't like Saratoga? What on earth gives you that idea? Her Woodward last year -- I know you people can't understand this -- was very good, and she was beaten by pace/distance on Sunday, not the surface.
Every time I have watched one of those 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 mile races at Saratoga, the track looks very tiring. It almost reminds me of Del Mar in the sense that it doesn't seem to matter how slow they go, the come-from-behinders still seem to have the edge. Blind Luck came from well out of it, even though the pace was slow. Blame was able to run Quality Road down, even though the pace was just moderate. It's the same way at Del Mar. They can go :49 or slower and a horse like Richard's Kid can still win coming from way out of it.

With regard to RA's race at Saratoga last year, I thought she ran ok but I didn't think it was anywhere near one of her best performances. I know that she was taking on older males that day and I know that she set a pretty fast pace. Despite that, I would have still expected her to win a little easier if she would have run anything close to her best. Do I know for sure that it was because of the surface? No, I don't know that for sure. I'm simply saying that could be one possibility.