View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
We felt the pinch of the economy just like everyone else. Rather than leave the Super Derby at $500k, we decided to put more eggs in its basket than the other races to help get it going again.

That said, aside from Mine That Bird (whom I campagined to the trainer/owners myself, and thought they would come here once they opted out of the Travers but they wanted more time), Summer Bird or Rachel, what other 3-year-olds are out there? Unfortunately, the division is slim at this point in the year.

The Super Derby really prospered when there was not nearly as much competition for horses as there is today. Plus, spacing/timing to the Breeders' Cup was more manageable. We're aware of all these factors, unfortunately making radical changes to your biggest race which draws a massive crowd on track, generates our biggest handle of the year and is a part of the community is not an easy task. Cancel it? Forget about it. Suicide.
1983 brought you Sunny's Halo.
1984 Gate Dancer and Precisionist
1985 Creme Fraiche
1986 Wise Times (Haskell and Travers winner)
1987 Alysheba
1988 Seeking the Gold
1989 Sunday Silence
1990 Unbridled

There were other good ones that came there. In my opinion, the race went downhill once it was reduced from 10f to 9f. At 10f, it was one of the best preps for the Classic that we had. The distance was fine and it offered plenty of time to recover and get ready for the Classic.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine