View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
smarty was no doubt a talented horse as well. He was a dual classic winner and there is certainly something to be said for that. Great or "truly special" as you put it? Again, it depends on how you judge it.

I would have liked to have seen him face older horses. I would have liked to have seen him beat some really good horses. The horses in his crop werent all that good. He destroyed an extremely immature Rockhardten and likewise an extremely immature Eddington. Playing Devils advocate, could it be argued that his dominance over those two were more of a result of their immaturity as opposed to a superiority in quality? Not necessarily saying that that is the case but simply asking if that is a possiblity.

In my opinion, Smarty was robbed of the chance to prove how great he truly was one way or the other.

In the end, i realize that this will be an unpopular stance. I hope that instead of bashing me that people will instead defend why he was great.
I wish he would have gotten to do the things you mentioned also, but I guess it wasn't to be.

The reason I think he impressed me is because when that bastard would take the lead, it gave me a lot of goosebumps.....

And he looked like he was giving his absolute all.

I don't know if he could have even beaten Perfect Drift, but he was a good and tough racehorse who endured a tough campaign and stroked them all save for the Belmont.

Mostly for me, it just made me feel good to see him do his thing...

And sometimes that is all that counts.

Last edited by Scurlogue Champ : 09-07-2006 at 02:58 AM.