View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 06:50 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Couple of notes..

While the recco's are all well-meaning, let me make a few suggestions..

The best, most consistent restaurant in town since 1982-83 is SPERRY'S.. Period. There's no discussion.. Ridge and his staff can be counted on time and again for perfectly executed upscale continental/tavern fare that is on a par with any joint of it's ilk..

The best addition to the Saratoga dining front in a long time is BEEKMAN ST. BISTRO.. Run by 2 partners, a front of the house guy and a brilliant young chef who spent a lot of time developing craft in San Fran and Portland, there is nothing like it within 200 miles. I can't even begin to give an explanation of it except to say that the rather exclusive track clientelle I directed there last summer were blown away by it.

The concept/menu change two years ago at the SPRINGWATER has made it something it never was, an 'occasion destination'.. The food is overly pretentious to suit me, and its' become pricey, but what I've had the last two years there has been very good... CHEZ SOPHIE is exquisite and authentic French, and our man "BTW" adores it, but it's not my cup of tea.. RIPE TOMATO towards Malta is good, uniform, mammouth-portioned and square-priced and fun, but be prepared to wait any night during the meet.. If you've got a group, are familiar and like the Family-style Italian concept at Carmine's in NYC or Maggiano's (nartionally), SERGIO'S is quite OK and then some..

There is literally nowhere else in town as special as the first two choices... You'll be disappointed almost anywhere else you go.

If you want something fun and cheap and don't mind a 20 minute sojourn to Glens Falls, take 87 North to Exit 18, head East on Glen St. towards downtown and discover TALK OF THE TOWN Pizzeria. Difficult to describe except to say it's an institution as a bar-tavern-pizza joint and a place I go religiously. Tell Bill at the bar or Craig the headwaiter that Steve from Carolina BBQ sent you. (But check the bill carefully). Bring a group and order pitchers of beer and 5-6 pizzas. The "cheeseburger" and "bbq chix" are 2 specialties, but the classics (pepp, etc.) are my preference. You'll feed 8 people for about $100..

Another fun drive is out towards my neck of the woods (Greenwich).. On the way before you reach Schuylerville is FARMER'S DAUGHTER, your basic New England Dairy Bar with very good burgers and ice cream. About 8 miles East of Saratoga on 29 East. They have a clever twisted Orange/Cream out of the soft serve machine which has become a bit of a trademark item for them.. For exceptional ice cream, drive further on 29 East into Greenwich, aon the left just past the Washington County Fairgrounds is ICE CREAM MAN. Super premium fresh-daily, small batch ice cream. About 26-30 flavors. Ask if they have any "private stock" Philadelphia Vanilla made with the real thing, Madagascar Vanillia Bean Fleck..

Oh, and places to avoid at all costs? PJ's (dreadful, over-priced, an embarassment); Lillian's (better last time I was there, but still utterly ordinary); Wishing Well (deserving of demolition)..

And of course I've failed to mention that on-track, I expect anyone to come see me at my CAROLINA BARBECUE across from the Carousel tele-theater.. Now featuring a beautiful hardwood patio deck. The only outdoor seating establishment on the track, and the best food on the grounds... By a wide margin.

Steve
gimme a beef wt with peppers..lol....and garden era....