View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
I agree with Citycat - Keeneland is what you make it.

I go to Laurel frequently and dread the sight of a rundown facitlity that is lifeless. Then I get to see a bunch of crappy maidens, or beat up open claimers, ad naseum.

But when I go to Keeneland, I get to see decent horses and people enjoying the experience. I'm not into the snobby bluebloods either, and the well-to-do obnoxious kiddies can be a pain, but if you spill a little beer on them - oops - it's all good.

I wouldn't go on a weekend simply because I don't like big crowds, but that's just me. Last year I phoned ahead of time and was able to procure an owner's box the last Thursday of the meet. It was under cover out of the sun and comfortable, and the bar was close by so it was a fun day. I plan on being there April 26 and then I'll make Churchill on Opening Day for the Trial. And both of those places beat the hell out of going to Laurel, anyday.....
I think this is key to whether or not someone would enjoy attending Keeneland during live racing. No question the track is smaller, which is why I prefer a more expansive track like Saratoga, Belmont and Churchill. Keeneland at it's best in my opinion is early morning during the sales...so beautiful and peaceful. I also greatly enjoyed going there in a summer afternoon to watch the simulcast in their outdoor tv's on the ground level. My heart belongs to Saratoga though.