View Single Post
Old 05-04-2023, 12:47 PM
Keeneland

Arrow Continuar, Practical Move, Lord Miles Out; All AE's Get In

https://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-de...ief-gets-field

Kentucky Derby: Practical Move scratches; Cyclone Mischief gets into field
David Grening | May 04, 2023

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Practical Move, winner of the Santa Anita Derby and a major player in the Kentucky Derby, will have to scratch out of the race due to a temperature, trainer Tim Yakteen said Thursday afternoon.

“We spiked a temperature,” Yakteen said. “It started climbing right after training when we do our due diligence. He didn’t jump into the feed tub like he usually does. We temp our horses routinely, that’s when it was recognized.”

Yakteen had gone easy on Practical Move’s training since arriving at Churchill Downs last weekend. Practical Move jogged Wednesday and galloped and visited the starting gate Thursday morning.

“We just have to gain comfort we’re doing the right thing by the horse and gain comfort out of that,” said Yakteen, who trains Practical Move for Pierre Jean Amestoy, Leslie Amestoy, and Roger K. Beasley.

The scratch of Practical Move will enable Cyclone Mischief, the Florida Derby third-place finisher, to get into the Kentucky Derby.

“I’m glad to be in, you can’t win it if you’re not in it,” said Dale Romans, trainer of Cyclone Mischief. “I think my horse is doing great and ready to roll.”

Last year, Rich Strike won the Kentucky Derby at 80-1 after getting into the race just before scratch time.

Romans indicated that Corey Lanerie would have the mount in the Kentucky Derby.

Santa Anita Derby runner-up Mandarin Hero now would become the next horse to get into the Kentucky Derby if there is a scratch before 9 a.m. Friday.

Last edited by Kasept : 05-04-2023 at 12:58 PM.