View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Cupid should be 30-1 in that race.
The race looks disappointing on paper. Only Nyquist and Exaggerator warrant any serious respect on past performance, but both are in questionable form.

O'Neill finally has voiced what many had grumbled about after the Preakness and Haskell. Why was the horse being sent given his settled performances in the BC and the Kentucky Derby? Hopefully, they follow through an try to adopt a stalking position in here with some decent front-running speed from Cupid and presumably Summer Revolution. The concern is that the lemon has been squeezed dry, if not by his races, then by his workout tab, which is utterly ridiculous. 4 mile workouts of increasing speed just seems like overkill, and O'Neill may be changing things up too much despite the colt going undefeated in his first 8 starts.

Exaggerator has caused concern with some poor workouts and poor races, but how much of that is Kent Desormeaux? I think a lot of it is him, particularly the Belmont and Travers. Horse wouldn't have won either, but in the Travers he seemed to be making a bid and Desormeaux didn't follow through in what turned out to be a lopsided race anyhow. His recent work is sharp and whether or not he prefers the mud is immaterial, he's good enough on a fast track. However, its all moot, because his race simply depends on Desormeaux's mindset during the actual race.

Sunny Ridge looked interesting as a possible upsetter for about 5 seconds, until one notes all the layoff lines, including following his most recent (which was also off a layoff). Despite the layoff, he has just a single work since his last in the last 6 weeks. Not counting on that.

The only thing to consider with Cupid is whether or not, being by Tapit, Coolmore elects to bring him back out as a 4yo in order to try and earn a Grade 1. Physically, he might not be able to anyways. I guess if he can beat two Classic winners in the same race they can call it a day without the Grade 1. Would save me from having to watch any further horrific stretch runs from this horse.