View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
I read that and disagree too, but I think these 2yr old races in June often mean nothing because speed is just so important in them. The other problem with them in there is no way of really determining what they are beating. I don't think you can tell anything from a 2yr old other than they may be good horses. These horses grow so much over the winter and some even in the 6-8 weeks before the derby that they are often completely different animals. The sport is so odd now with people paying 16 million for Forestry colts that they are making the breed into a bunch of animals that are designed to run real quick early and break down. These horses that start this soon seem to have really short 3yr old careers.
I agree but would add that often 2YO races mean nothing in other months as well. Thats the whole point. Most of the 2YO races are meaningless relative to the Derby. But somewhere along the way during the next six months there will be a debut by next years derby winner. It's fun to try to be one of the sharpies that noticed him right away and picked it out as a horse with loads of talent.

Remember there are less than eleven months remaining to get it right! LOL.