View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
The contamination defense begs a few questions.

If this is contamination, why are we not seeing a lot more of these positives? Actually, can anyone recall a positive for meth?

People go to jail every day on tests that come up positive based upon a very small amount of alcohol or drugs. Why is contamination not an issue that is prevalent in the criminal courts across the country if it is really such a likely cause for a false positive?

To be fair, as an attorney, contamination can happen when there are other facts available to support that theory. I just have not seen any facts put forward to support the theory.
I think it's because someone associated with Winstar Farms, (who incidentally has never bred, consigned, nor owned the horse in question, but does employ Gorder with some of their horses), commented on Ray Paulick's blog immediately after Paulick broke the story:

>>>I have known Kelly Gorder for 17 years and I promise you there is not a straighter arrow on the race track. He worked for us at WinStar and he has trained horses for me.
Meth, as you stated, is a street drug and no trainer would be stupid enough to use it. It is detected with an elementary test and this particular positive was 20 pico-grams which translates to 20/10,000,000,000,000 or 20 ten trillions' of a gram. This is obviously a residue from a trace contamination weeks prior and could in no way have effected performance. There is no stronger advocate for punishing cheaters than myself but in this is a case of serious injustice without any basic common sense to a very good person. Kellyn is the consummate HORSEMAN who has worked hard to build his reputation. With one fail swoop they have given him a career death sentence.<<<

So, how he was the only person privy to this test result is strange enough, but even stranger - the blind assumption of fact surrounding this hearsay- is what continues to fuel the contamination defense.

It seems that hundreds of horses would come up positive if it were so easy for this to occur from contaminated feed/water (because clearly there are nothing but meth heads roaming the backside of every race track in America and they all have an affinity to dump their drugs in places that will contaminate a horse sample), dirt antibiotic needles/syringes, et al.

One might be interested to read Doug's post if they want to understand why methamphetamine would be found in a piss test. Particularly from trainers with horses that seem to excel off a freshening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate

So when Mr. Casner asserts that "Meth, as you stated, is a street drug and no trainer would be stupid enough to use it." his statement is at best disingenuous, and more aptly, deliberately misleading. Which leads me to dismiss, rather than embrace his supposed 20 picogram test result.