View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Sure, but that's a really big if.

Classy Class is a sprinter in my opinion. He was thrown into the lion's den in the Remsen off the one 6 furlong race and understandably tired. His Gotham is misleading because he actually rode the best part of the racetrack for the majority of the trip before getting out in plenty of time to at least get second. Granted, the 2nd place finisher stayed on the rail and was bolstered by it, but Classy Class had no punch in a slow race.

Classy Class should be in a graded stake for 3YOs on Saturday. The Bay Shore.
Possibly, but I view some of his losses in a different light than you do. I'm not worried about the Remsen because a 2yo debut winner at 6.5f would need to be super special to win next out in a Graded race at 9f, as you alluded to. He was only a length behind El Kabeir first out when setting the pace, and given that to date his two best runs have been when not on or challenging for the lead I think it's fair to suggest that the tactics were wrong for both that and the Remsen. Yes, he did ride the better part of the track in the Gotham, but so did El Kabeir and IMO Classy Classy looked to be cruising beside the ridden-along eventual winner who was then long gone and nearly crossed back over to the rail by the time he got clear run. Should he have gotten second? Probably, but taking into account that his momentum was shut off not once but twice and that he was no longer in one of the prime paths, whereas the eventual place horse was, I'm willing to excuse the hang. Further, it was also the quirky inner in the mud, and since he ranged up with the appearance he had a lot left it is quite possible that he just didn't have the kick in that going. I'm interested to see how he performances on Saturday because I think we'll see a true showing from him. If the performance is good and the numbers come back solid then I don't see why he can't be considered. I'm not saying he will win the Blue Grass or even run well enough to earn enough points to qualify for the Derby, rendering all this moot, but isn't speculating about prospects one of the most fun parts of the Derby?