Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gomez replaces Smith on Stardom Bound (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29041)

NTamm1215 04-15-2009 03:16 PM

Gomez replaces Smith on Stardom Bound

This might be the funniest reason I've ever read for changing riders:

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...e.cgi?id=14680

NT

declansharbor 04-15-2009 03:20 PM

Does Iavarone honestly thinks SB has a shot at coming within 5 lengths of Zenyatta IF they ever meet?

slotdirt 04-15-2009 03:20 PM

Since Stardom Bound has zero chance in the Oaks or against Zenyatta, I don't think Smith will be missing much.

randallscott35 04-15-2009 03:25 PM

Their horse. They choose the jock. No problems.

10 pnt move up 04-15-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by declansharbor
Does Iavarone honestly thinks SB has a shot at coming within 5 lengths of Zenyatta IF they ever meet?

That outfit, yea I am sure he does........of course fiction is often better then reality.

Pedigree Ann 04-15-2009 05:02 PM

Filly doesn't need a new jock, or any jock. Needs time off to sort out what is bothering her - growth spurt coming, nerves, whatever. Quote from Bart Cummings (the greatest trainer now training, but he's in Australia) "Patience is the cheapest thing in racing."

FATPIANO 04-15-2009 05:05 PM

Gotta Blame Someone, We All Know Its Not The Horse,

Left Bank 04-15-2009 05:29 PM

I saw this coming!!

letswastemoney 04-15-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Filly doesn't need a new jock, or any jock. Needs time off to sort out what is bothering her - growth spurt coming, nerves, whatever. Quote from Bart Cummings (the greatest trainer now training, but he's in Australia) "Patience is the cheapest thing in racing."

She doesn't need time off, there's nothing wrong with her. Sometimes horses lose, that's all.

lemoncrush 04-15-2009 06:36 PM

Although it's obvious she hasn't carried her superiority from age 2 to 3, it's certainly possible that she'll handle the Churchill surface better than Keenland.

I wouldn't think she's any more likely to beat Rachel Alexandra on May 1st, but I expect a little better showing than the Ashland. Getting Gomez can't hurt, either.

MISTERGEE 04-15-2009 06:41 PM

did i hear someone replaced him on chantel too?

rgustafson 04-15-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MISTERGEE
did i hear someone replaced him on chantel too?

Now that's just plain nasty. Wisful thinking onyour part?:)

Danzig 04-15-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FATPIANO
Gotta Blame Someone, We All Know Its Not The Horse,

yeah, cause ieah wouldn't shell out that kind of money for a horse that wasn't going to win a championship. they know what to buy.

speaking of which, who's picking patena for the derby?

Gaelic Storm 04-15-2009 09:42 PM

There are far more Juvinile fillies who never progressed after their 2 year old season then ones that were able to improve as they got older. Countess Diana had a great 2 year old year and never won another stake. Stardom Bound was sold at the right time.

Danzig 04-15-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaelic Storm
There are far more Juvinile fillies who never progressed after their 2 year old season then ones that were able to improve as they got older. Countess Diana had a great 2 year old year and never won another stake. Stardom Bound was sold at the right time.

absolutely

PPerfectfan 04-15-2009 11:32 PM

Wait....hahahahahahaha, they really think......hahahaa, that 'Star has a shot to be anywhere within 10lenghts....hahahah of Zenyatta?? hahahahahah ok, ok seriously, what was the reason??? :zz:

letswastemoney 04-15-2009 11:39 PM

well....whether or not she has a chance against Zenyatta, the change makes sense. Mike Smith will be on Zenyatta, and if their plan is the BC....might as well get her acquainted with a new jockey now rather than later.

MisterB 04-16-2009 03:42 AM

She has done enough, time to send her to Empire Maker.

stonegossard 04-16-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Yeah...because I'm sure Gomez is going to stay with her through the Breeders Cup. :rolleyes:

Saw this coming a mile away once SB lost at Keeneland. IEAH must be taking jockey advice from Larry jones/Fox Hill. Their last two big name jock changes (Ousting Pino on Hard Spun and Dominguez on Old Fashioned) worked very well.

It will be one and done for Gomez/Stardom Bound. By August IEAH will have trouble getting Oscar Gomez to ride Stardom Slowhorse.