Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thank You Mine That Bird (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29440)

blackthroatedwind 05-02-2009 08:04 PM

Thank You Mine That Bird

If it wasn't for Mine That Bird's inscutable effort today, we would have seen three relative mediocrities hit the wire together in one of the slowest KY Derbies in modern history. Now, instead of endlessly hearing about how wonderful a horse Pioneer of the Nile is, and one that only synthetic haters failed to see the obvious greatness of, we can all scratch our heads as to how this otherwise " slow " horse could destroy today's field.

I guess two things happened, the good horses all scratched for various reasons in the weeks leading up to the race and one horse loved the off-going....and the rest just aren't that good or completely didn't show up.

Today's Derby, which had a great deal of promise a month ago, ended up being a shell of its possible self, and one run on a sloppy surface that ultimately answered few questions. But at least it didn't produce a slew of undeserved accolades. For that I am thankful.

justindew 05-02-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
If it wasn't for Mine That Bird's inscutable effort today, we would have seen three relative mediocrities hit the wire together in one of the slowest KY Derbies in modern history. Now, instead of endlessly hearing about how wonderful a horse Pioneer of the Nile is, and one that only synthetic haters failed to see the obvious greatness of, we can all scratch our heads as to how this otherwise " slow " horse could destroy today's field.

I guess two things happened, the good horses all scratched for various reasons in the weeks leading up to the race and one horse loved the off-going....and the rest just aren't that good or completely didn't show up.

Today's Derby, which had a great deal of promise a month ago, ended up being a shell of its possible self, and one run on a sloppy surface that ultimately answered few questions. But at least it didn't produce a slew of undeserved accolades. For that I am thankful.

Why? You're above caring about the Kentucky Derby. Remember?

blackthroatedwind 05-02-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justindew
Why? You're above caring about the Kentucky Derby. Remember?

My concern about the KY Derby is solely tied to your blog.

The Indomitable DrugS 05-02-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

But at least it didn't produce a slew of undeserved accolades. For that I am thankful.

The ride by Borel was totally epic anyway.

He had him back so far behind the next to last horse early on that even the mud kicked up probably couldn't reach him.

Suffolk Shippers 05-02-2009 08:16 PM

Or you can say we were denied a possibly memorable finish by some sh*t horse from New Mexico who rode the bias and the smartest jockey on the track to a win. What's worse a slow race on off going with a fun finish or some horse that no one could identify who won by six or seven lengths?

justindew 05-02-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

My concern about the KY Derby is solely tied to your blog.

I sent DrugS my last black and white photo w/autograph. So if this is your way of asking for one, you'll have to wait until after the Preakness.

ArlJim78 05-02-2009 08:20 PM

that win never happens if Borel doesn't take him back and separate from the field. it's gutsy to fall back into what looks like a hopelessly beaten position, but sometimes its the right thing to do. how he manages to find a clear rail path is impressive.

blackthroatedwind 05-02-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
Or you can say we were denied a possibly memorable finish by some sh*t horse from New Mexico who rode the bias and the smartest jockey on the track to a win. What's worse a slow race on off going with a fun finish or some horse that no one could identify who won by six or seven lengths?

What bias....one that helped overmatched horses?

Danzig 05-02-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

i agree with that. i was more excited about game one between the caps/pens then i was about the race.

King Glorious 05-02-2009 08:24 PM

Anyone that mentions a bias as the reason this horse won should never be allowed to watch a race again. Any bias there may have been only added to his margin of victory. He would have won that race had he gone around the grandstand. He was much the best today.

ninetoone 05-02-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlJim78
that win never happens if Borel doesn't take him back and separate from the field. it's gutsy to fall back into what looks like a hopelessly beaten position, but sometimes its the right thing to do. how he manages to find a clear rail path is impressive.

Whoa...don't you know that jockeys have little to nothing to do with the outcome of races???

Hoist Her Flag 05-02-2009 08:32 PM

Because Bill Mott called a POTN a turfer last May when he was barely 2 year olds you just didn't want to see him win. What a loser.

pgardn 05-02-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Yes it certainly would have made a huge diff. if Quality Road and Revenge had shown up as they would have certainly had a great effort over that slop.

Potatoes with your sour kraut?

Blame on the Nordic weather god.
jeeezzzz...

blackthroatedwind 05-02-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoist Her Flag
Because Bill Mott called a POTN a turfer last May when he was barely 2 year olds you just didn't want to see him win. What a loser.

How does this work with your prior post?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoist Her Flag
This is the worst derby ever

ArlJim78 05-02-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetoone
Whoa...don't you know that jockeys have little to nothing to do with the outcome of races???

well I'd say the majority of the time, they have little to do with it, that's its mainly the horse. but a certain percentage of the time they can make a huge difference.

Sightseek 05-02-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

:tro:

Bernardini 05-02-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Mediocities? you gotta be jokin. Mine that Bird is "one hit wonder". you watch .. three horses behind are not. talk to me after he preakness.

pgardn 05-02-2009 08:40 PM

And oh hell yes this race was the nail in the
coffin proving that POTN cannot run on dirt.

Righto.

ninetoone 05-02-2009 08:45 PM

Somebody at DRF better edit Beyer's chat transcript from the other day...whoops!

blackthroatedwind 05-02-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetoone
Somebody at DRF better edit Beyer's chat transcript from the other day...whoops!

You loved the winner?

Come on.....everyone mocked his chances.