Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Official Leon Blusiewicz 'Best You Ever Ate' Crab Cake Recipe! (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57246)

Kasept 05-13-2015 11:53 AM

The Official Leon Blusiewicz 'Best You Ever Ate' Crab Cake Recipe!

Blu's Crab Cake Recipe:

Makes 6
  • 1# premium jumbo lump Maryland backfin crab meat (don't compromise on quality of crab)
  • 1T Gulden's Brown Mustard
  • 3T Hellman's Mayo
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Montreal Steak Spice (to taste)
  • 1 sleeve (minus 4 crackers) Keebler Club House Crackers (crumbled by hand)

Pick crab meat to remove any shell/cartilage. Season to taste with Montreal-style Steak Spice. Add cracker crumbs and gently mix by hand. Blend mustard and mayo, fold in beaten egg. Add to crab and gently mix with crab moistening evenly. Form crab cakes, packing lightly. Refrigerate till firm. 3 options to cook: Broil till evenly browned; Alternately deep fry in Crisco; Alternately pan fry in butter.

Danzig 05-13-2015 12:17 PM

no old bay? tsk tsk :)

one of the very few things i miss from living in maryland, the blue crabs.

knickslions2 05-13-2015 12:26 PM

Best I ever had were at Nick's Original House of Ribs in Ocean City Maryland. Thanks for getting my palate tingling Steve!!

freddymo 05-13-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1026801)
Blu's Crab Cake Recipe:

Makes 6
  • 1# premium jumbo lump Maryland backfin crab meat (don't compromise on quality of crab)
  • 1T Gulden's Brown Mustard
  • 3T Hellman's Mayo
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Montreal Steak Spice (to taste)
  • 1 sleeve (minus 4 crackers) Keebler Club House Crackers (crumbled by hand)

Pick crab meat to remove any shell/cartilage. Season to taste with Montreal-style Steak Spice. Add cracker crumbs and gently mix by hand. Blend mustard and mayo, fold in beaten egg. Add to crab and gently mix with crab moistening evenly. Form crab cakes, packing lightly. Refrigerate till firm. 3 options to cook: Broil till evenly browned; Alternately deep fry in Crisco; Alternately pan fry in butter.

I dont know seems fair to midland

Kasept 05-13-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 1026813)
I dont know seems fair to midland

Freddy,

Going forward, it's 'middling'..

Danzig 05-13-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1026817)
Freddy,

:tro:

blackthroatedwind 05-13-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1026817)
Freddy,

Freddy, shockingly, isn't well versed in Irish expressions. He's still trying to figure out why so many of them call him a wanker.

freddymo 05-14-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1026819)
Freddy, shockingly, isn't well versed in Irish expressions. He's still trying to figure out why so many of them call him a wanker.

I prefer schmuck wanker seems to undervalue my unique talents. Good rittens.

Danzig 05-14-2015 10:16 AM

and a suggestion...when frying fish, etc. don't use just oil. add in some butter flavored crisco-it makes it so much better.

jms62 05-14-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 1026856)
I prefer schmuck wanker seems to undervalue my unique talents. Good rittens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

saratogadew 05-14-2015 04:08 PM

Blu is the greatest guest and storyteller to ever grace "At the Races". Bar none!

Pittsburgh Dave 05-15-2015 07:55 PM

Blu's crab cakes

I followed the recipe tonight to a T. I will preface my comments by saying I went to school in Annapolis and feel that I know what a true Maryland crab cake tastes like.

My grade: A+

Excellent recipe. The montreal steak really gives it a unique flavor and does a super job of bypassing the lack of old bay. Love the Keebler crackers as filling. Made with corn on the cob, shrimp scampi and cheesy grits.

Wonderful stuff....tip of the hat to Steve and Blu for this gem.

Kasept 05-18-2015 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Dave (Post 1027199)
I followed the recipe tonight to a T. I will preface my comments by saying I went to school in Annapolis and feel that I know what a true Maryland crab cake tastes like.

My grade: A+

Excellent recipe. The montreal steak really gives it a unique flavor and does a super job of bypassing the lack of old bay. Love the Keebler crackers as filling. Made with corn on the cob, shrimp scampi and cheesy grits.

Wonderful stuff....tip of the hat to Steve and Blu for this gem.

Dave..

It MUST have been good to trigger your first post in 3 years here! Glad you tried and enjoyed..

Blu's spot and the recipe has been as well received as any visit in recent memory. Had some listeners go to The Prime Rib downtown as well on Blu's push and they raved. In fact one couple went Friday and then back Saturday!

jnunan4759 09-27-2015 04:23 PM

It's late September and am making the recipe again. If anyone doesn't know, the crabs are fuller in the fall and more robust. New Jersey crabs are vastly underrated as everyone wants "Maryland" crabs. Try the Jersey ones, they are cheaper and to me, better.

I've found this recipe to be great. It also introduced me to Montreal Steak Seasoning, which I now always have around. It's great on beef and almost anything. I made Lobster Mac'N Cheese last night and used it and it was great.

Don't know whether Leon will go into the Hall of Fame as a horse trainer, but he definitely deserves to go in for a crab cake maker. Thanks Leon !!!

tanner12oz 09-27-2015 08:10 PM

If you want to make your own Montreal steak spice

4 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion, dehydrated
1⁄2 tablespoon garlic, dehydrated
1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper, crushed
1⁄2 tablespoon thyme, dried
1⁄2 tablespoon rosemary, dried
1⁄2 tablespoon coriander, dried

jnunan4759 09-27-2015 08:41 PM

Thanks Tanner !!!

As an aside, the Philly 76'ers got Nik Stauskas in a trade. He was in an incident where he was called "Sauce Castillo" on closed captioning. Well, he made a hot sauce called that. I bought some and it's excellent in Shrimp Cocktail and Bloody Mary's. It's got a smokiness and some Worchesteschire in it. It's also got some heat.

GPK 09-28-2015 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnunan4759 (Post 1044029)
It's late September and am making the recipe again. If anyone doesn't know, the crabs are fuller in the fall and more robust. New Jersey crabs are vastly underrated as everyone wants "Maryland" crabs. Try the Jersey ones, they are cheaper and to me, better.

I've found this recipe to be great. It also introduced me to Montreal Steak Seasoning, which I now always have around. It's great on beef and almost anything. I made Lobster Mac'N Cheese last night and used it and it was great.

Don't know whether Leon will go into the Hall of Fame as a horse trainer, but he definitely deserves to go in for a crab cake maker. Thanks Leon !!!

Only thing cheaper in Jersey, is the women.

jnunan4759 09-28-2015 10:00 AM

I think we might need another category, "Recipes".

GPK 09-28-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnunan4759 (Post 1044074)
I think we might need another category, "Recipes".

I feel certain we had a thread of that sort around here many moons ago.

Kasept 05-15-2019 01:00 PM

Crab cake recipe redux.

Blu's visit today an all time great..