Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Triple Crown Topics/Archive.. (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Weekend Stakes Beyers: Paradise Woods 107; Irish War Cry 101 (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62098)

RolloTomasi 04-12-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleBenelli (Post 1089010)
Just like this thread and other articles I have read since last Sat, folks seem to always discount the west coast preps.

They should since they have been atrocious. The CA 3yo contingent was exposed all the way back in November, when neither Klimt nor Gormley made any impact on the BC Juvenile, despite the race being run on their home track.

The early West Coast preps were indeed weak as they weren't even truly run races, essentially amounting to match races. The Sham featured the seasoned Gormley against recent maiden sprint winner American Anthem, and Gormley just got the better of the latter. Hardly evidence of progression. Both were frightfully exposed in their subsequent appearances featuring more experienced rivals and more contentious pace scenarios.

The Robert Lewis was also a match race, between recent maiden breaker Royal Mo and maiden Irap. Royal Mo predictably led the charge as he was essentially winning his second consecutive maiden special weight. Irap stayed a maiden for a couple more starts despite racing at Sunland Park. Royal Mo was humiliated in the Rebel when facing a full field with a contentious pace.

Besides Gormley and Royal Mo, the other horses CA is offering up are Battle of Midway, Sonneteer, and Irap.

I wouldn't bet Battle of Midway unless he got 3 months off and returned on the grass.

I wouldn't bet Sonneteer even if he ran in a maiden special weight.

I wouldn't bet Irap even if he ran in a maiden special weight.

10 pnt move up 04-12-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleBenelli (Post 1089010)
Can't believe the only questioning is the figures from Aqu.. As big of an effort that Gormley gained, he didn't even have the biggest effort in the race. Royal Mo has hidden value in his last two and is a big player for the Derby.
Just like this thread and other articles I have read since last Sat, folks seem to always discount the west coast preps. Just spit balling here, but in the last 10 years, how many derby winners have come out of Santa Anita?

I would like to see Royal Mo cut back at some point.

I dont see any lack of respect from west coast preps or horses in the 3yo scene, how many times do they ship, or even in the Derby, end up taking quite a bit of action?

RolloTomasi 04-12-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleBenelli (Post 1089017)
Except for the oaks, could that not be said for every race run at Santa Anita that day. As previously mentioned does the figure for the Oakes not stand out as odd, even more so when compared to all other figures on this day.

Not really. The first 3 dirt races (all sprints) at Santa Anita had exacta finishes by maidens, 2 of which were first time starters. If the Echo Eddie was slow, it fit with the form, as Mr. Hinx was coming off a 4th in an allowance behind SA Derby stalwarts Battle of Midway and Reach The World.

Paradise Woods ran her 1 1/16th in 1:42+. She probably galloped out 9f in a faster time than the Santa Anita Derby.

blackthroatedwind 04-12-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolloTomasi (Post 1089018)
Not really. The first 3 dirt races (all sprints) at Santa Anita had exacta finishes by maidens, 2 of which were first time starters. If the Echo Eddie was slow, it fit with the form, as Mr. Hinx was coming off a 4th in an allowance behind SA Derby stalwarts Battle of Midway and Reach The World.

Paradise Woods ran her 1 1/16th in 1:42+. She probably galloped out 9f in a faster time than the Santa Anita Derby.

Probably?

RolloTomasi 04-12-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up (Post 1089016)
I would like to see Royal Mo cut back at some point.

Seems destined for the turf this summer.

RolloTomasi 04-12-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1089019)
Probably?

I was too lazy to watch the replay and time it myself. She was so far in front of the rest of the horses I thought maybe the outrider just went ahead and caught her before she made it to the 7 1/2 pole.

taxicab 04-19-2017 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleBenelli (Post 1089041)
Sonneteer will be in the money in Arkansas :$:

Pretty good...
He came home in something like 36.1 on Saturday.
That number holds well with this years lot.
He's creeping closer to making this years starting gate.
Keith D. can certainly train em up.