Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Get-Togethers (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Arlington fan friendly? (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62235)

tomm5647 05-03-2017 08:48 AM

Arlington fan friendly?

I know that everyone is consumed with last minute Derby capping but I had to post this. I am in IL and have been going to AP for 40+ years. Very infrequently in the last 3 or 4 years since they seemed to want to squeeze every nickel out of their customers. By the time you paid admission, program, maybe a beer and a hot dog you were already down $50+. When I saw the promotions offered at other tracks, free or reduced admission $1 dogs and beers I came to the conclusion that they really didn't look beyond the bottom line. I have been almost exclusively on-line and local OTB for years. I was surprised to see on-line that AP was offering free admission on opening day and $1 dogs and $1 beer. I looked further and they have scheduled regular reduced admission and food items all year. In the past when I questioned AP staff about the lack of fan friendly promotions I was told it was a liability issue and if a patron over imbibed and had an accident AP would be liable. I always thought that was bull since my primary focus at the track was to make money and too many beers would severely hinder my decisions. Glad to see that I may be able to visit beautiful AP this summer and not pay $8 for a draft beer if I got thirsty. Glad to see they came to their senses.
Tom

saratogadew 05-03-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomm5647 (Post 1090243)
I know that everyone is consumed with last minute Derby capping but I had to post this. I am in IL and have been going to AP for 40+ years. Very infrequently in the last 3 or 4 years since they seemed to want to squeeze every nickel out of their customers. By the time you paid admission, program, maybe a beer and a hot dog you were already down $50+. When I saw the promotions offered at other tracks, free or reduced admission $1 dogs and beers I came to the conclusion that they really didn't look beyond the bottom line. I have been almost exclusively on-line and local OTB for years. I was surprised to see on-line that AP was offering free admission on opening day and $1 dogs and $1 beer. I looked further and they have scheduled regular reduced admission and food items all year. In the past when I questioned AP staff about the lack of fan friendly promotions I was told it was a liability issue and if a patron over imbibed and had an accident AP would be liable. I always thought that was bull since my primary focus at the track was to make money and too many beers would severely hinder my decisions. Glad to see that I may be able to visit beautiful AP this summer and not pay $8 for a draft beer if I got thirsty. Glad to see they came to their senses.
Tom

I can't resist doing math. it's in my blood.
lets figure on the high side.
Beer 8.00
Hot Dog 7.00
program 7.00
is admission really 28.00+ dollars to walk through the door?

Hapman 05-05-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saratogadew (Post 1090284)
I can't resist doing math. it's in my blood.
lets figure on the high side.
Beer 8.00
Hot Dog 7.00
program 7.00
is admission really 28.00+ dollars to walk through the door?

Beer is actually more like $6.00 for a small.
Hot Dog $5.00
Program $2.50
GA: $8.00

$21.50 total.

Anyway, they've been doing free GA and $1.00 or free beers on opening day for a while now. I believe the Party in the Park thing on Fridays also usually has beer specials.

It's a little pricey to go to Arlington sure but it's one of the nicest, cleanest tracks around. AP is doing what they need to do to survive. They actually draw fairly large crowds of families on weekends in the summer because they are extremely fan friendly. Petting zoos for kids etc.

I mean, Hawthorne has it's charm I guess but it's like night and day compared to AP.

Maybe OP is thinking of prices 40 years ago? It's 2017.

Alabama Stakes 05-05-2017 10:14 AM

Bris has free pps for Arlington all meet long :)

elturko 08-04-2018 10:51 PM

Any body going to Arl.park Aug. 5 ?