Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Another NY trainer caught.... (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18122)

stonegossard 11-12-2007 05:58 PM

Another NY trainer caught....

Getting kinda old with these Ny trainers being caught....this one is rather sad as the one caught really has been having zero success over the last few years...even the drugs couldnt get him to the winner's circle.

Sciacca barn starts ban
By DAVID GRENING
Paul Barone, an assistant to trainer Gary Sciacca, began serving a 120-day suspension on Sunday for his role in an alleged attempt to have a horse consume a banned substance four years ago at Belmont Park. Sciacca, meanwhile, faces the same penalty, but has been given an unspecified amount of time to disperse his 16-horse stable to other trainers, stewards said Sunday.

The penalties stem from an incident at Belmont on June 28, 2003, when a New York Racing Association investigator allegedly witnessed veterinarian Dr. John McGuire, Barone, and Sciacca employee Oscar DeLeon giving the horse Storm River Kelly a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and electrolytes - known as a milkshake - on the morning of the day he was scheduled to race.

Sciacca was not present at the time - he was en route to the Grand Cayman Islands on vacation - but is penalized under the trainer's responsibility rule.

At the time, Barone, McGuire, and DeLeon were arrested by Nassau County police and charged with tampering with a sports contest. Those charges were later dropped.

NYRA stewards initially recommended that Sciacca be suspended 45 days while the other three men get 60 days. The New York State Racing and Wagering Board increased the penalties to Barone and Sciacca to 120 days, while McGuire was given a 180-day penalty and a $1,000 fine.

In February 2006, DeLeon served a 45-day suspension. Since the incident, McGuire has suffered a stroke that has left him incapacitated

10 pnt move up 11-12-2007 06:03 PM

I just posted the same thing....never would have thought it with this barn.....if you aint cheating you aint trying

Coach Pants 11-12-2007 06:05 PM

Sciacca's milkshake brings all the boys to the barn
and damn right, it's better than yours.

10 pnt move up 11-12-2007 06:06 PM

Do those milkshakes come in different flavors, because that would be very humane if they did?

stonegossard 11-12-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
I just posted the same thing....never would have thought it with this barn.....if you aint cheating you aint trying

Christ..the guy milkshaked and STILL cant win. I think Sciacca needs to find another profession.

Swale84 11-12-2007 06:14 PM

Why was there an almost 4 1/2 year delay from the infraction to the suspension?

Cajungator26 11-12-2007 06:41 PM

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...hlight=Sciacca

wigmore 11-12-2007 06:45 PM

so is te DT horse part of the 16 horse dispersal to other trainers?

Coach Pants 11-12-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajungator26

Shake it, sh-sh-shake it! Shake it like a polaroid picture!

The Indomitable DrugS 11-12-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wigmore

I believe KYRIM will take over the training duties.

Coach Pants 11-12-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
I believe KYRIM will take over the training duties.

Actually she's serving a 60 day suspension. Her assistant MercedeZ will take over the training duties.

Cajungator26 11-12-2007 06:56 PM

Both of you are incorrect. The training will be taken over by Grits. Get it right. :rolleyes:

AeWingnut 11-12-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

That part of the stable hasn't been filled yet. All DT horses are with Chuck.

wigmore 11-12-2007 07:34 PM

Will you still use Sciacca in NY now?

hoovesupsideyourhead 11-12-2007 08:08 PM

this pie topping has got to stop ...ice creaming is rampent in racing circles..as is no forking .. a common trait in the early days of racing ..using just hands to eat pie.......:eek:

Kasept 11-12-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swale84
Why was there an almost 4 1/2 year delay from the infraction to the suspension?

Gary fought this for the 4+ years given that the investigator changed testimony at least three times about what he saw or thought he saw and what stall Barone, the vet and groom were in at the time. Gary was on vacation.

Kasept 11-12-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Will you still use Sciacca in NY now?

Yes.. It's not as if this some revelation that just occured. It's been hanging around endlessly without resolution until now.

10 pnt move up 11-12-2007 08:21 PM

Doesn't this parallel what the NCAA looks at, I mean the people in charge have to take care of "their" house? I am getting tired of betting against horses only to read they were on drugs and then here the excuse of "someone in my barn was doing it without my knowledge". That is a failed excuse that has many parallels in history. Frankly it seems like its acceptable in what is becoming a very pathetic industry which refuses to acknowledge it has a major problem.

sumitas 11-12-2007 08:28 PM

I have to agree 10 pt move up. But in this case, 4 years and Sciacca was on vaca at the time ? The rules have to be understandable, the punishment needs to be swift. This case was not handled in a timely manner and punishing Sciacca when he was on vaca, it doesn't seem right to me.

hoovesupsideyourhead 11-12-2007 08:41 PM

fireing squads and date the widow...