Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Triple Crown Topics/Archive.. (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Who Will Be The Favorite? What Price? (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71024)

v j stauffer 04-24-2022 06:30 PM

Who Will Be The Favorite? What Price?

I'll start..

EPICENTER 4-1 or 9/2

Whata ya'll think?

Dahoss 04-24-2022 07:31 PM

Yeah unless something crazy happens the next 2 weeks, Epicenter will be the favorite over Zandon.

3-1, maybe 4-1 range

tector 04-25-2022 02:00 PM

Agreed, 3-1, 7/2 right around there.

blackthroatedwind 04-25-2022 02:18 PM

If Mattress Mack wasn't betting $3 million on Epicenter, Zandon would have been favored, though it might have been close.

casp0555 04-25-2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1163601)
If Mattress Mack wasn't betting $3 million on Epicenter, Zandon would have been favored, though it might have been close.

He probably isn't through yet...more wagers to come pending future mattress sales...:D

jms62 04-27-2022 06:51 AM

I really want to love Zandon but am concerned that he has had gate trouble in 2 races. His ride in the Bluegrass was a thing of beauty but does he get as lucky in a 20 horse field not to get in traffic trouble? If he breaks well and races closer I think he wins. Big ask though. On another note with nothing other but the trend. The Japanese horses have been killing it this year so I will have to include just on that alone.

freddymo 04-27-2022 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jms62 (Post 1163641)
I really want to love Zandon but am concerned that he has had gate trouble in 2 races. His ride in the Bluegrass was a thing of beauty but does he get as lucky in a 20 horse field not to get in traffic trouble? If he breaks well and races closer I think he wins. Big ask though. On another note with nothing other but the trend. The Japanese horses have been killing it this year so I will have to include just on that alone.

They draw the race on Monday, so we will be able to dissect it. However, I typically fall for the most talented horse anyways.

v j stauffer 04-27-2022 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddymo (Post 1163642)
They draw the race on Monday, so we will be able to dissect it. However, I typically fall for the most talented horse anyways.

I sure wish I knew who of the about 14 who can win is the most talented.

knickslions2 04-27-2022 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 1163644)

14 that can win? I don't see even close to that. I haven't gotten deep into this yet but on surface looks like 5 or 6 stand out above the rest. Lets see what the final list looks like.

freddymo 04-27-2022 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 1163644)

hint you didn't call any of his races

v j stauffer 04-27-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickslions2 (Post 1163645)
14 that can win? I don't see even close to that. I haven't gotten deep into this yet but on surface looks like 5 or 6 stand out above the rest. Lets see what the final list looks like.

IMO it would be far from a shock if any of the following horses won.

EPICENTER

TAIBA

MESSIER

SMILE HAPPY

ZANDON

WHITE ABARRIO

CYBERKNIFE

MO DONEGAL

SIMPLIFICATION

CHARGE IT

TIZ THE BOMB

ZOZOS

TAWNY PORT

Ok you got me that's 12

cal828 04-27-2022 11:22 AM

I think I'd be shocked if Smile Happy, Tiz The Bomb, Tawny Port or Cyberknife won it (even if the latter two are trained by Brad "who can do no wrong" Cox). However, I should mention I'm the guy who said in notes to self about Mine that Bird, "has no chance, does not belong in this race.":wf:D

v j stauffer 04-27-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal828 (Post 1163657)
I think I'd be shocked if Smile Happy, Tiz The Bomb, Tawny Port or Cyberknife won it (even if the latter two are trained by Brad "who can do no wrong" Cox. However, I should mention I'm the guy who said in notes to self about Mine that Bird, "has no chance, does not belong in this race.":wf:D

See that's exactly why I think this is such a GREAT Derby. Two that I'm most interested in are CYBERKNIFE and SMILE HAPPY.

Gonna be fun.

v j stauffer 04-27-2022 11:31 AM

I just looked at THORO-GRAPH of the Derby Probables.

I only have three things to say....

o
m
g

Make it about 16 with a shot!

freddymo 04-27-2022 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 1163659)
I just looked at THORO-GRAPH of the Derby Probables.

I only have three things to say....

o
m
g

Make it about 16 with a shot!

They are talented lightly raced colts by definition many have a license to improve.. You have to break some eggs

v j stauffer 04-27-2022 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal828 (Post 1163657)
I think I'd be shocked if Smile Happy, Tiz The Bomb, Tawny Port or Cyberknife won it (even if the latter two are trained by Brad "who can do no wrong" Cox). However, I should mention I'm the guy who said in notes to self about Mine that Bird, "has no chance, does not belong in this race.":wf:D

When MINE THAT BIRD was being considered I had Rosario's book in Ca. Chip Wooley offered me the call. I said what the heck. He's probably got no shot but let's give the jock the experience of riding in the Derby. So I said ok. We'll ride him.

I asked him where to send the invoice for the flight and hotel.

He said we're not paying for any of that. If you wanna ride him. You can. If not I'll get a local rider.

The rest is history!

Dahoss 04-27-2022 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 1163663)
When MINE THAT BIRD was being considered I had Rosario's book in Ca. Chip Wooley offered me the call. I said what the heck. He's probably got no shot but let's give the jock the experience of riding in the Derby. So I said ok. We'll ride him.

I asked him where to send the invoice for the flight and hotel.

He said we're not paying for any of that. If you wanna ride him. You can. If not I'll get a local rider.

The rest is history!

I’m hesitant to acknowledge this look at me nonsense….but you gave up a mount in the Derby because you guys were too cheap to pay for a hotel and plane? He had no other mounts on the undercard?

blackthroatedwind 04-27-2022 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1163664)
I’m hesitant to acknowledge this look at me nonsense….but you gave up a mount in the Derby because you guys were too cheap to pay for a hotel and plane? He had no other mounts on the undercard?

Wait, you mean the entire thread isn't look at me nonsense? I'm so confused.

moses 04-27-2022 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1163664)

Oddly enough, Rosario had a new agent by the next year’s derby.

blackthroatedwind 04-27-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moses (Post 1163673)
Oddly enough, Rosario had a new agent by the next year’s derby.

To be fair, I think that was because of something else Vic did.