Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Thoroughbred Racing (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Greyhound Racing (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15073)

unassailable08 07-13-2007 11:38 AM

Greyhound Racing

Any body here play the Greyhounds.

I'm still learning how to play it.

CapperZeke 07-13-2007 12:02 PM

I used to go to Green Mountain all the time. I swore I would never attend another dog race in my life when I had 2 dogs DQ'ed the same night for bumping in the stretch.

unassailable08 07-13-2007 12:52 PM

I've seen some bad bumping

yet no Dqs at Gulf and at Corpus Christi Greyhound track.

SentToStud 07-13-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapperZeke
I used to go to Green Mountain all the time. I swore I would never attend another dog race in my life when I had 2 dogs DQ'ed the same night for bumping in the stretch.

Zeke,
I have never read or heard about a greyhound being disqualified.

CapperZeke 07-13-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentToStud
Zeke,
I have never read or heard about a greyhound being disqualified.

STS,

It was only because the jock fell off.

Zeke

SentToStud 07-13-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

STS,

It was only because the jock fell off.

Zeke

that happened to me too, now that i think about it....
http://greyhound-data.com/dir/14/Mon..._greyhound.jpg

Suffolk Shippers 07-13-2007 03:42 PM

I plied my trade at Raynham Taunton Greyhound Park here Raynham, MA...thats where I decided to take up horses...was sick of lane infractions by dogs lol

golfer 07-13-2007 04:01 PM

When I first moved out to Jacksonville (dog racing country) from Jersey, a buddy of mine explained how they once used trained monkeys as jockeys for the dogs... I almost fell for that one :)

Seriously, the key to handicapping dog racing is just like the ponies, watch all the races! dogs by habit and by breeding fairly consistently run in a similar path each time out. You can use that knowledge to figure out which dog may(or may not) get a clean run.

SentToStud 07-13-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfer
When I first moved out to Jacksonville (dog racing country) from Jersey, a buddy of mine explained how they once used trained monkeys as jockeys for the dogs... I almost fell for that one :)

Seriously, the key to handicapping dog racing is just like the ponies, watch all the races! dogs by habit and by breeding fairly consistently run in a similar path each time out. You can use that knowledge to figure out which dog may(or may not) get a clean run.

your friend wasn't lying. http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

golfer 07-13-2007 04:08 PM

Sonofagun!! My friend definitely wasn't in Buffalo in 1935, but I guess I still owe him an apology:o

Bigsmc 07-14-2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unassailable08
Any body here play the Greyhounds.

I'm still learning how to play it.

I can hold my own. Got my first ever signer at Derby Lane in St. Pete.

Derby Lane Million is March 1, 2008. $500k to the winner. You'll find me at the rail.

skippy3481 07-14-2007 02:48 PM

Big,
I found my love for horses at the great derby lane. I spent a good deal of time there. Made a good deal of money on it through college. Nothing like seeing dogs around that first turn.

GPK 07-14-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigsmc
I can hold my own. Got my first ever signer at Derby Lane in St. Pete.

Derby Lane Million is March 1, 2008. $500k to the winner. You'll find me at the rail.

and then afterwards, you and Scavs can find some roaches to bet on..

damn gambling fools...

pmayjr 07-14-2007 03:08 PM

Whenever I go to Florida, I always have to hit up the Greyhound track (and see Cajun lol). They used to have them all over Wisconsin, including right across the border from MPLS, MN in Hudson, WI, but it closed about 5 years ago. So now when I go to Florida I gotta play the Greyhounds.

Bigsmc 07-14-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPK
and then afterwards, you and Scavs can find some roaches to bet on..

damn gambling fools...

Nothing like the warm beer they sell in a paper cup on the Derby Lane apron. Love the Double Quinella. The place isn't quite the same when they got rid of the brass band that was stationed to the left of the tote board. They'd play some old show tunes and marches between races. Played the same ditty everytime the dogs were getting loaded into the box. Now they just play a recording of the band playing the ditty. Not the same.

Oh, and I'll take $20 win on the #4 Cockaroach....

GPK 07-14-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Nothing like the warm beer they sell in a paper cup on the Derby Lane apron. Love the Double Quinella. The place isn't quite the same when they got rid of the brass band that was stationed to the left of the tote board. They'd play some old show tunes and marches between races. Played the same ditty everytime the dogs were getting loaded into the box. Now they just play a recording of the band playing the ditty. Not the same.

Oh, and I'll take $20 win on the #4 Cockaroach....

I would say the 3 of us could bet on the golf course Friday morning of Toga...

but you know the story there.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bigsmc 07-14-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPK
I would say the 3 of us could bet on the golf course Friday morning of Toga...

but you know the story there.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yup.....

I was hoping he could do a Scav's style recap of the round on DT, let everyone get a feel for the carnage and comedy that is going to ensue.

Thunder Gulch 07-14-2007 04:06 PM

Love the Dog track, but have never been any good at picking them and mostly bet simulcast horses when I go. It's all about post position and kennel, but everyone knows that.

GPK 07-14-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Yup.....

I was hoping he could do a Scav's style recap of the round on DT, let everyone get a feel for the carnage and comedy that is going to ensue.

F him. He is the one missing out.

herkhorse 07-14-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

I miss Green Mountain, used to ride my bike there when I was 17. First track my grandpa ever took me too. Thanks Pop!:)