Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Esoteric Central (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Last Movie You saw.... (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63534)

richard burch 12-03-2017 10:21 PM

Last Movie You saw....

Not sure where this will go but it's good to get ideas and opinions about new releases in theaters and also old films you view on you couch. So pleas contribute.

With that I want to say that this is one the best movies I have seen in a long, long time.

Kasept 12-04-2017 06:07 AM

Saw 3 Billboards and enjoyed immensely, but last seen was Greta Gerwig's Lady Bird with Saorise Ronan (Brooklyn), which is wonderful..

RHT2004 12-04-2017 12:54 PM

Thor Ragnarok. Justice League.
Mother.

richard burch 12-05-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1103060)
Saw 3 Billboards and enjoyed immensely, but last seen was Greta Gerwig's Lady Bird with Saorise Ronan (Brooklyn), which is wonderful..

Didn't see that yet. With the Oscars approaching now is a good time for the movies.

I hope 3 B.B.'s gets nominated. Best I saw this year.

richard burch 12-05-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHT2004 (Post 1103070)
Thor Ragnarok. Justice League.
Mother.

Saw Justice league...I liked it, friends not so much. Affleck is a very good Batman.

richard burch 12-05-2017 09:45 PM

this was another one that far exceeded expectations. Not what you think it is ....

Alabama Stakes 12-06-2017 01:27 AM

The Shack. It was outstanding.

RHT2004 12-09-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard burch (Post 1103091)
Saw Justice league...I liked it, friends not so much. Affleck is a very good Batman.

It's ok. Everything DC has done is setting up Darkseid. It all seems rushed.
Mother is insane.

richard burch 12-10-2017 10:53 PM

I know t. cruise is a little wacky but this movie was pretty entertaining... And Rebecca Ferguson...wow!

mclem0822 12-14-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1103060)

Saw Lady Bird yesterday, superb. The acting was solid, the performance that stood out to me was Laurie Metcalf, I thought she was amazing. 3 Billboards was brilliant as well, saw that a couple weeks back but stunning performance by Frances McDormand will take some beating at Oscar time in my opinion.

richard burch 12-14-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclem0822 (Post 1103345)
Saw Lady Bird yesterday, superb. The acting was solid, the performance that stood out to me was Laurie Metcalf, I thought she was amazing. 3 Billboards was brilliant as well, saw that a couple weeks back but stunning performance by Frances McDormand will take some beating at Oscar time in my opinion.

Going tomorrow....almost out of the theaters by me. looking forward to it.

mclem0822 12-14-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard burch (Post 1103351)
Going tomorrow....almost out of the theaters by me. looking forward to it.

Right, it was leaving my local theatre after today glad I got to see it, one of the year’s best films.

richard burch 12-15-2017 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclem0822 (Post 1103353)
Right, it was leaving my local theatre after today glad I got to see it, one of the year’s best films.

I got snowed in...seeing tomorrow at 2:30...last shot for me

richard burch 12-15-2017 11:35 PM

Transporter 3

I'll give ***of 5 stars.

richard burch 12-17-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclem0822 (Post 1103345)

Bird was very good. Hit home on many levels.

richard burch 12-17-2017 05:41 PM

Saw Dunkirk, looking forward to Churchill

Indian Charlie 12-18-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard burch (Post 1103058)
Not sure where this will go but it's good to get ideas and opinions about new releases in theaters and also old films you view on you couch. So pleas contribute.

With that I want to say that this is one the best movies I have seen in a long, long time.

Saw it recently too and it was surprisingly good. dark too, which I like.

Indian Charlie 12-18-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard burch (Post 1103510)
Saw Dunkirk, looking forward to Churchill

I saw Dunkirk, thought it was boring and had little to do with reality.

Churchill was one of the biggest douchebags of the 20th century. I expect the movie to glorify him, as usual.

Which leads me to the movie I did most recently watch. My Dinner with Andre.

Indian Charlie 12-18-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHT2004 (Post 1103253)
It's ok. Everything DC has done is setting up Darkseid. It all seems rushed.
Mother is insane.

I looked up Mother, the description doesn't sound too interesting. What did you like about it?

mclem0822 12-18-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Charlie (Post 1103549)

Churchill was one of the biggest douchebags of the 20th century. I expect the movie to glorify him, as usual.

There's more drama in the conversation in that film, than in most other dramas. Brilliant film.

mclem0822 12-18-2017 08:01 PM

Star Wars: The Last Jedi....

Watched this one today, thought it was fantastic. Great action sequences, and I thought the acting was terrific, in particular Adam Driver and a nice supporting performance from Laura Dern. Some very emotional moments and images, involving the late Carrie Fisher in her most famous portrayal one last time.

Indian Charlie 12-18-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclem0822 (Post 1103552)
There's more drama in the conversation in that film, than in most other dramas. Brilliant film.

Yep. That was a brilliant movie indeed. Hard to believe (inconceivable?) it was co written by the guy from The Princess Bride who also played the Grand Nagus on Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

mclem0822 12-18-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Charlie (Post 1103556)
Yep. That was a brilliant movie indeed. Hard to believe (inconceivable?) it was co written by the guy from The Princess Bride who also played the Grand Nagus on Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Wallace Shawn, he is very talented. Don't forget he's also the voice of Rex the green Dinosaur from the Toy Story films :D

richard burch 12-19-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

You know who was way over rated was Montgomery. he made a lot of blunders in the big one.

but I love WW11 movies and try to see them all. I liked the 2 pitt movies Fury and Allied.

richard burch 12-19-2017 09:44 PM

another good one...older film...but worthy of a watching.

richard burch 12-19-2017 09:48 PM

have to see this too. Could be a contender.

mclem0822 12-21-2017 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard burch (Post 1103573)
have to see this too. Could be a contender.

For sure on my list of ones to see!

Indian Charlie 12-21-2017 01:23 PM

I just saw the new Star Wars and thought it was pretty mediocre.

For those who haven't heard of it, movie pass seems cool. 10 bucks a month gets you one free movie ticket a day for any movie and any theater, non 3d or Imax type showings. I just found out about it and signed up. The person who told me about it said his friend watched 26 movies in one month with it.

mclem0822 12-21-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Charlie (Post 1103616)
I just saw the new Star Wars and thought it was pretty mediocre.

For those who haven't heard of it, movie pass seems cool. 10 bucks a month gets you one free movie ticket a day for any movie and any theater, non 3d or Imax type showings. I just found out about it and signed up. The person who told me about it said his friend watched 26 movies in one month with it.

Heard something about this, but what company is it or which theatre chain I guess is a better way to phrase it? If memory serves, in terms of my local area it is a clear across town chain with only 1 theatre which kinda sucks in terms of using it a lot, but still sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip though.
I disagree about Star Wars, which I already wrote about in a prior post. Perhaps JJ Abrahams being back in the directors chair for the next installment might peak your interest. I certainly am looking forward to that, I have been following this franchise since I was 7 freakin years old, I am not quitting any time soon lol! :D

Indian Charlie 12-21-2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclem0822 (Post 1103636)
Heard something about this, but what company is it or which theatre chain I guess is a better way to phrase it? If memory serves, in terms of my local area it is a clear across town chain with only 1 theatre which kinda sucks in terms of using it a lot, but still sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip though.
I disagree about Star Wars, which I already wrote about in a prior post. Perhaps JJ Abrahams being back in the directors chair for the next installment might peak your interest. I certainly am looking forward to that, I have been following this franchise since I was 7 freakin years old, I am not quitting any time soon lol! :D

JJ Abrams is the biggest hack ever. His writing is on par with what was written for the prequels.

Movie pass isn't restricted to a chain or chains.

richard burch 12-23-2017 11:26 PM

Wow!...Hard to describe what I just saw this evening.......but GO SEE IT!

Kasept 12-24-2017 04:36 AM

Quote:

We finally got to see Dunkirk Friday night.. Thought it was terrific and fraught with tension, arcing towards desperation, from the opening scene.

Indian Charlie 12-24-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1103751)
We finally got to see Dunkirk Friday night.. Thought it was terrific and fraught with tension, arcing towards desperation, from the opening scene.

Yeah, that is the general consensus on it. Maybe having read alot about the actual event killed any suspense for me.

richard burch 12-26-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

That's next up for me. looking forward to it.

mclem0822 12-29-2017 03:15 AM

Quote:

Could not agree more Steve! To me with seeing it in the theatre, with the dolby sound etc. it made the tension palpable!

mclem0822 12-29-2017 03:33 AM

Christmas Day.....

Went to see " Downsizing" I thought it was very good, visually a masterpiece solid work from Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz I thought was very funny in his role, and an Oscar nomination for Hong Chau's performance has got to be forthcoming she was brilliant. Director Alexander Payne has established an amazing body of work, films like Nebraska, The Descendants, Sideways, Election among others. I cannot think of a film he's directed that has disappointed and Downsizing is no exception.

richard burch 12-29-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclem0822 (Post 1103940)
Went to see " Downsizing" I thought it was very good, visually a masterpiece solid work from Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz I thought was very funny in his role, and an Oscar nomination for Hong Chau's performance has got to be forthcoming she was brilliant. Director Alexander Payne has established an amazing body of work, films like Nebraska, The Descendants, Sideways, Election among others. I cannot think of a film he's directed that has disappointed and Downsizing is no exception.

Pretty strong review.....Saw the trailers at the movies...still not sure yet if i will see it....but have to consider it.

so far 3 billboards is still my #1 or best picture

mclem0822 12-30-2017 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard burch (Post 1103990)
Pretty strong review.....Saw the trailers at the movies...still not sure yet if i will see it....but have to consider it.

so far 3 billboards is still my #1 or best picture

I agree with you, I think Downsizing is very good but not better than 3 Billboards, and I also would place Lady Bird above it and perhaps more pictures I am still needing to see more contenders. Might see Shape of Water today, not sure quite yet, and I also look forward to seeing Molly's Game, I am a big fan of Aaron Sorkin's writing and this is his directorial debut. :)

GBBob 12-30-2017 10:06 AM

Have any of you guys seen Get Out? Finally saw it recently and need to see it again...

mclem0822 12-30-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBBob (Post 1104003)
Have any of you guys seen Get Out? Finally saw it recently and need to see it again...

Yes! I thought it was very well done and entertaining.