Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Triple Crown Topics/Archive.. (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Scratch of Uncle Mo made official (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42185)

jpops757 05-06-2011 03:03 AM

Scratch of Uncle Mo made official

I love dialed in. Im concerned about Mo. Im trying to build a fri too the derby double and pk3. If they scratch Mo, will you get the favorite or will it give you a no bet? Im assuming you will get the favorite but I still want to use Mo because like a fool I belive them when they say if hes 100% its a go. The way he looked om the track thur he looked ready.

Kasept 05-06-2011 04:55 AM

There is a 9:30a press briefing Friday, and the widespread expectation is that Uncle Mo will be scratched at that point. I'll find out this morning about rules regarding refunds versus 'post time favorite' on the two day wagers should Mo only scratch Saturday.

UPDATE: Scratch made official. Briefing and Q&A at 8:45.

jpops757 05-06-2011 06:32 AM

all I saw was the tape of him galloping on the track tur.He looked to be full of piiiiiisss snd viniger but a gallop and a solid work are very different. What as your opinion steve?

Kasept 05-06-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpops757 (Post 774327)
all I saw was the tape of him galloping on the track tur.He looked to be full of piiiiiisss snd viniger but a gallop and a solid work are very different. What as your opinion steve?

He absolutely looked good yesterday and appeared eager to do more. That shouldn't be surprising given that he basically wasn't allowed to do anything for two days. But the problem has been the up/down, in/out nature of his 'well being'. After appearing to be gaining weight two weeks ago, the workout last week knocked him back and he started going the other way. If he's not right, you can't run a horse that has this much ability in a race that is so taxing. It's not fair to the horse or anyone else.

Sightseek 05-06-2011 07:06 AM

LOL, someone at Thoroughbred Times took a photo of the chimney over Pletcher's barn with "White smoke means Repole has reached a decision on whether Uncle Mo will run"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

Patrick333 05-06-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Scratched.
Sorry to hear that.

Duvalier 05-06-2011 07:20 AM

They should have done the right thing and took him out of consideration before the entries were taken. Hopefully the 8:45 briefing will bring an end to the daily Repole dog and pony show.

trackrat59 05-06-2011 07:21 AM

Steve hit the nail on the head.

I have three riding horses and don't make a living in the horse business but I do have an opinion as a horse owner.

Based on what Mo has been through with surgery and the GI infection, I don't see how he can be at 100% just yet. It's going to take a few months to get ALL of his strength back and really be back to being himself. He can look like he's at 100% but it's a stamina issue at this point. Honestly, if one of my horses had Mo's rap sheet I would be letting him rest in the pasture for several months.

Mo looks good and he's galloping around and appears to be a hand full because he wants to run, he's a Thoroughbred. He's clearly not ready yet to run the race of his life tomorrow. If I need 3 vets to determine if my horse is sound and ready to go, Derby or no Derby, something is up.

** Glad to see him scratch. Hopefully we will see Mo running and winning another day**

philcski 05-06-2011 07:36 AM

Kind of unfair of Todd and Repole to enter given it was a virtual certainty he was going to scratch. Not that I care about Sway Away but he should have had the shot to run.

philcski 05-06-2011 07:39 AM

And I would LOVE to see him in the Preakness. That race is tailor-made for him.

Kasept 05-06-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philcski (Post 774348)
Kind of unfair of Todd and Repole to enter given it was a virtual certainty he was going to scratch. Not that I care about Sway Away but he should have had the shot to run.

Forget the specific horse that was excluded... Does anyone care to do the financials of what cutting the field to 19 cost the industry in lost handle?

An outrageously selfish act from someone professing to 'love the game'.

fpsoxfan 05-06-2011 07:41 AM

So is he out or isn't he....???????

Kasept 05-06-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpsoxfan (Post 774354)
So is he out or isn't he....???????

Yeah.. Scratched.

justindew 05-06-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 774352)
Forget the specific horse that was excluded... Does anyone care to do the financials of what cutting the field to 19 cost the industry in lost handle?

I hope no one attends the press conference.

fpsoxfan 05-06-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 774356)
Yeah.. Scratched.

Thanks Steve. I agree, it's a piss poor move by all of the connections. I can now understand why people are not a fan of Repole. It appears he has tried and succeeded to a point, to make Derby Week about him.

Ogygian 05-06-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 774356)
Yeah.. Scratched.

What is the "official" reason why there isn't an "AE" list for the derby again Steve?

philcski 05-06-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 774352)

My good friend Ed DeRosa who follows these things closely just posted that from 2006-2010, the lowest handle was 2009 (the only year there was 19 instead of 20, because of the scratch of IWR). At least this time it was before the wagering pools opened which means no refunds- but I think the number is at LEAST 5%. Additionally, this will be the first year with no NYCOTB, which was worth $5MM in handle on the race itself and $10MM throughout the day- how much of that money is made up on track at Belmont or through ADW's? Definitely not 100% of it. Wouldn't be surprised if the number is somewhat disappointing this year.

geeker2 05-06-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sightseek (Post 774336)
LOL, someone at Thoroughbred Times took a photo of the chimney over Pletcher's barn with "White smoke means Repole has reached a decision on whether Uncle Mo will run"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

:D

philcski 05-06-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogygian (Post 774364)
What is the "official" reason why there isn't an "AE" list for the derby again Steve?

Pletcher now saying "critics of Repole for entering and excluding Sway Away should take it up with Churchill or the Kentucky Racing Commission, not Team Mo." LOL. I'd love to know why people flock to give this guy horses. He's Teflon, deflecting everything. I suppose Life At Ten wasn't his fault, either.

Kasept 05-06-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogygian (Post 774364)

Difficult executionally with tote and such. We'll discuss the particulars next week undoubtedly.