Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thoughts on Chitu? (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53712)

dballard125 04-20-2014 07:13 PM

Thoughts on Chitu?

In my opinion, his Sunland Derby performance was quite impressive. He broke from the 9 hole (far outside), worked his way up to rate right off of the leader with 23 & 46 fractions, dueled Midnight Hawk in the stretch, and pulled away in the final furlong to win with a time of 1:47.88. That final time was only .36 slower than California Chrome's Santa Anita victory. Now obviously the competition in the Sunland doesn't stack up to the G1 preps, but it's hard to dispute the time he ran.

Just curious what everyone thinks of his chances in the KD? He appears to certainly have the running style to be right in the mix down the stretch, and with a decent trip and a little luck on his side, who knows. One concern is can he get the distance, but he appears to have some decent stamina on his dam's side. He also galloped out well in the Sunland, so maybe the 1 1/4 mile won't be an issue.

Obviously post position for any of these horses is huge, and although I think Chrome is the class of this race, I'm looking for a live long shot to Place or Show...or even pull off a win. I'm thinking Chitu could be that horse.

What's your all's thoughts?

RockHardTen1985 04-20-2014 07:47 PM

I thought he was best 2 back vs Candy Boy. Candy Boy did not exactly come back and flatter him though. I thought his Sunland Derby was OK, the runner up needs a cutback though and is a 7-8f horse. I think Chitu is OK and has a chance.

Rudeboyelvis 04-20-2014 07:59 PM

A discretely raced son of Henny Hughes' getting the distance is a big question mark for me. Had Midnight Hawk won the IL Derby by open lengths as many had expected, I might be more interested, but frankly he hasn't beaten anything - I'll wait till the draw but right not he's not on my radar

tanner12oz 04-20-2014 08:04 PM

Horse does nothing for me...think he will be gasping at the turn

RockHardTen1985 04-20-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis (Post 974364)
A discretely raced son of Henny Hughes' getting the distance is a big question mark for me. Had Midnight Hawk won the IL Derby by open lengths as many had expected, I might be more interested, but frankly he hasn't beaten anything - I'll wait till the draw but right not he's not on my radar

Beyer came back 101 though. So if he won by 10 w/ a 96 beyer, thats better? That 101 looks pretty competitive w/ everyone but Chrome.

South Beach Luv 04-20-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 (Post 974362)
I thought he was best 2 back vs Candy Boy. Candy Boy did not exactly come back and flatter him though. I thought his Sunland Derby was OK, the runner up needs a cutback though and is a 7-8f horse. I think Chitu is OK and has a chance.

Heard on HRTV today the Woody Stephens might be next for Midnight Hawk.

RockHardTen1985 04-20-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by South Beach Luv (Post 974368)
Heard on HRTV today the Woody Stephens might be next for Midnight Hawk.

That would be a great idea, and a really fun race. It will be solid without him, the Bayshore horses can all run.

horseofcourse 04-21-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 (Post 974362)

Midnight Hawk needs a cutback based on what? Based on the two fastest races of his career are at 9f? His 9f Beyers are 98 and 102 which quite frankly are as good as anything running in the Derby outside of Chrome. Perhaps you are right and the horse will be better at 7-8 furlongs. His 9f race yesterday was actually quite good however. I see no evidence of him being a 7-8f horse at this point. I think the evidence is pretty clear that as the distance has increased so has his performance to this point in his career. I think a large chunk of people are mis-interpreting Midnight Hawk maybe even Baffert!

RockHardTen1985 04-21-2014 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseofcourse (Post 974383)
Midnight Hawk needs a cutback based on what? Based on the two fastest races of his career are at 9f? His 9f Beyers are 98 and 102 which quite frankly are as good as anything running in the Derby outside of Chrome. Perhaps you are right and the horse will be better at 7-8 furlongs. His 9f race yesterday was actually quite good however. I see no evidence of him being a 7-8f horse at this point. I think the evidence is pretty clear that as the distance has increased so has his performance to this point in his career. I think a large chunk of people are mis-interpreting Midnight Hawk maybe even Baffert!

I agree about his race yesterday, I said that 3 posts later. It came back fast, he still needs a cutback. He cant win 2nd tier races at 9f. Why not go 7-8f and possibly be a beast, because thats what I think he can be.

Rudeboyelvis 04-21-2014 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 (Post 974366)
Beyer came back 101 though. So if he won by 10 w/ a 96 beyer, thats better? That 101 looks pretty competitive w/ everyone but Chrome.

Yes.

JDank34 04-21-2014 08:52 AM

My money is on Chitu running in the Derby Trail. I think Baffert tipped his hand by putting Rosario up for his work this AM even though he's committed to General a Rod for the Derby.

South Beach Luv 04-21-2014 10:53 AM

Barbara Livingston posted a nice pic of him working in company with Bayern this AM at Churchill. Wondering who looked better?

JDank34 04-21-2014 11:09 AM

2 friends on track said Bayern was much the better of the two on the outside.

Kasept 04-21-2014 12:10 PM

Steve Byk ‏@Steve_Byk 4h: Bayern gets slight measure of Chitu in sharp half mile tandem drill going 23.4, 35.3, 47.3 with stronger out in 1:00.1. Nice. Neither asked.

Alabama Stakes 04-21-2014 12:15 PM

why'd philly cancel boss ?

knickslions2 04-21-2014 12:15 PM

Privman @DRFPrivman

Update on Chitu: Baffert just called to say he's now decided to run in Derby Trial, Rosario to ride. Still could come back in Ky Derby.

hockey2315 04-21-2014 12:29 PM

He doesn't run like a horse you want in the Derby, but Chitu actually has an extremely stout pedigree on his dam's side for 10F.

A.P. Indy dam won at 10f, second dam GSW at 9f, third dam produced the MGSW dam of last year's St Leger winner Leading Light.

Kasept 04-21-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes (Post 974417)
why'd philly cancel boss ?

Apparently, fox running around infield. And after the injury settlement involving the rider that was killed a few years ago because a cat spooked his horse, they are being overly cautious. Chuck just told me the other day that there are new restrictions on any non-equine now at Parx. No cats, dogs, goats, etc..

dballard125 04-21-2014 12:43 PM

I cant see them bringing him back for the Derby, if he's going to run in the trial. Curious as to why they are choosing to do this.

Kasept 04-21-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dballard125 (Post 974425)
I cant see them bringing him back for the Derby, if he's going to run in the trial. Curious as to why they are choosing to do this.

Baffert has no interest in running in the Derby with him. The owner however is over the top gung ho. He's hoping to show her how appropriate Chitu is for races like the Derby Trial, Woody Stephens, King's Bishop, etc..