Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Breeders' Cup Archive (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   BREEDER'S CUP ~ FIELDS: Turf, Filly & Mare Turf, Mile (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68609)

Kasept 10-08-2020 04:06 AM

BREEDER'S CUP ~ FIELDS: Turf, Filly & Mare Turf, Mile

senator L 10-08-2020 10:52 AM

I was thinking Factor This would go in the Turf
more money and easier imo

cal828 10-08-2020 12:32 PM

Bloodhorse indicates that Fancy Blue listed in the Filly and Mare Turf has been retired with an injury.

blackthroatedwind 10-08-2020 02:59 PM

Apparently Magical has cloned herself for the BC Turf

Kasept 10-14-2020 10:03 AM

KAMEKO won't run at ASC Saturday.. Straight to Cup.

Kasept 10-21-2020 07:24 AM

Nick Robson · Tipster
08:20 · October 21, 2020 · 2 min read

Siskin is being aimed at the Breeders’ Cup Mile and will then head to Japan to stand at stud.

Trained by Ger Lyons, the First Defence colt won the Irish 2,000 Guineas in tremendous style earlier in the season, stretching his unbeaten run to five.

Since then he has been beaten in the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood and the Prix du Moulin, losing his chance in the latter having become upset on loading into the stalls.

“He’s worked this morning, he’s in great order and looks fantastic,” said Lyons on Wednesday, speaking on Nick Luck’s Daily Podcast.

“This year was about the Guineas, the Sussex, come back for a light campaign, maybe the Boomerang and have a look at the QEII ground depending, but that has been put on hold.

“I didn’t want to send him as a three-year-old to the Breeders’ Cup, but he won’t be staying in training at four so the Breeders’ Cup now becomes an option and at this moment he is being trained with that in mind.

“He’s going to stand in Japan. I’m gutted. In many ways I’m delighted for him as he’ll get a serious quality book of mares that he maybe wouldn’t get in Ireland, but I’d have loved to have trained him at four.

“It just goes to show where we are in the industry when powerhouses like Juddmonte and Coolmore still have to sell their best horses for economic reasons.

RolloTomasi 10-21-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1146329)
Since then he has been beaten in the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood and the Prix du Moulin, losing his chance in the latter having become upset on loading into the stalls.

Importantly, Siskin was scratched from a Group 1 as a 2yo last year when he became upset in the starting gate.

With that history it'll be a crapshoot how he behaves first time in the starting gate in NA with a large field. At least there won't be very many spectators, I guess.

Quote:

“It just goes to show where we are in the industry when powerhouses like Juddmonte and Coolmore still have to sell their best horses for economic reasons.
Interesting comment. Not sure if Siskin fits the bill, though. He's never beaten the other top milers in his crop and failed in his starts versus his elders as well. Compound that with being sired by First Defence, a middling Juddmonte horse in the US that was ultimately let go by Juddmonte as a sire and carted off to Saudi Arabia, and it's not too surprising to see he's going to Japan.

Coolmore very frequently sells their horses, but not usually their best. They frequently do a lot of business selling to Australian connections ahead of the big races down there. This year they sold Sir Dragonet who failed to reach the top class level despite a lot of hype.

goodcopy 10-21-2020 12:27 PM

Don't Give Up On Uni

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolloTomasi (Post 1146332)
Importantly, Siskin was scratched from a Group 1 as a 2yo last year when he became upset in the starting gate.

With that history it'll be a crapshoot how he behaves first time in the starting gate in NA with a large field. At least there won't be very many spectators, I guess.

Interesting comment. Not sure if Siskin fits the bill, though. He's never beaten the other top milers in his crop and failed in his starts versus his elders as well. Compound that with being sired by First Defence, a middling Juddmonte horse in the US that was ultimately let go by Juddmonte as a sire and carted off to Saudi Arabia, and it's not too surprising to see he's going to Japan.

Coolmore very frequently sells their horses, but not usually their best. They frequently do a lot of business selling to Australian connections ahead of the big races down there. This year they sold Sir Dragonet who failed to reach the top class level despite a lot of hype.

This Former Champ is training and running in her best form of her life!;)

RolloTomasi 10-21-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodcopy (Post 1146338)
This Former Champ is training and running in her best form of her life!;)

There's been plenty of repeat winners of the BC Mile but I'm not sure if any came into the 2nd (or 3rd) win having lost all season long (not sure if Uni has started more than twice, to be honest).

On the other hand, there's certainly been a ton of horses attempting back-to-back BC wins despite losing form heading into the second attempt that absolutely tanked.

Maybe the BC can solve this dilemma by creating a BC FM Turf Mile.

NTamm1215 10-21-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolloTomasi (Post 1146354)
There's been plenty of repeat winners of the BC Mile but I'm not sure if any came into the 2nd (or 3rd) win having lost all season long (not sure if Uni has started more than twice, to be honest).

On the other hand, there's certainly been a ton of horses attempting back-to-back BC wins despite losing form heading into the second attempt that absolutely tanked.

Maybe the BC can solve this dilemma by creating a BC FM Turf Mile.

She won her last start, but undoubtedly prefers firmer footing and is not going to get it on BC day. She is shaping up as a great bet against in my opinion.

RolloTomasi 10-21-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTamm1215 (Post 1146374)
She won her last start, but undoubtedly prefers firmer footing and is not going to get it on BC day. She is shaping up as a great bet against in my opinion.

Thanks. I should have looked her form up instead of guessing.

The Chad Brown barn is hard to follow without paying close attention. I had to check the calendar to see what year it was when I saw Analyze It in a race the other day.

Kasept 10-23-2020 01:21 PM

WITHOUT PAROLE retired. Will stand at Newsells Park Stud.

Kasept 10-24-2020 12:38 PM

Minor issue derails MO FORZA Mile run.

parsixfarms 10-25-2020 03:52 PM

Is Digital Age being pointed to the Mile?

blackthroatedwind 10-25-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsixfarms (Post 1146471)
Is Digital Age being pointed to the Mile?

yes

Dahoss 10-28-2020 12:10 PM

Wonder what kind of a price Mogul will be in the Turf. His Arc prep was fantastic and missing the Arc might actually be a blessing in disguise.

Kasept 11-01-2020 01:46 PM

BEAU RECALL passing up Mile; CASA CREED gets in..

blackthroatedwind 11-01-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1146530)
Wonder what kind of a price Mogul will be in the Turf. His Arc prep was fantastic and missing the Arc might actually be a blessing in disguise.

I worry about Aidan O'Brien's dismal North American record.

RolloTomasi 11-01-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1146625)
I worry about Aidan O'Brien's dismal North American record.

His last start aside, overall Mogul has been a disappointment relatively speaking. He was highly touted all season and I believe was mentioned as Coolmore's best hope for the classics. They ended up winning both the Epsom and Irish Derbies but not with this horse. Had to drop to Group 3 company to find winning form and then promptly lost as the favorite in the St. Leger prep, getting tagged for 2nd by the horse he had just beat in the Group 3.

Not sure if the betting public will pick up on it, but the horse he beat in the French race (German Derby winner) came back to run a sharp 2nd in the decimated Arc. With the heavy ground and feed contamination scratches, I'm not sure if that's really a point in his favor but it certainly might hinder the price.

Another factor is the jockey. Not sure who Ryan Moore will choose between Mogul off the win or Magical with a slew of career Group 1s (who also has run well previously in the US). I would follow George Costanza and take the opposite of his selection. Maybe it's because he chose to stay in England during the COVID shutdown, but Moore has not been successful this year on Coolmore horses in the major events. Magical is 3 for 5 this year all in Group 1s and all 3 wins were with other riders while both losses were with Moore. He wasn't on any of those Derby winners either.

Kasept 11-11-2020 04:07 AM