Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lukas down to 40 horses (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8117)

eurobounce 12-26-2006 02:13 PM

Lukas down to 40 horses

Lukas is scaling down (or maybe a lack of) his stable to 40 horses. He is going to have all them at Oaklawn and he is going to train them himself. He was quoted as saying that he likes Oaklawn because of the 3 year old program.

Lukas has taken a hit due to the deaths of W T Young and Bob Lewis and also the split from Padua. I think it is good to see Lukas back and sort of excited about an upcoming year. Not sure how good of stock he has but hopefully we will see him come the 1st Saturday in May with a KY Derby starter.

packerbacker7964 12-26-2006 02:18 PM

Link? I hope it's true because I've got friends working the backside there that would love a chance to work for him.

Pointg5 12-26-2006 02:22 PM

There was an article in the Cincinnati Enquirer about this on Sunday, I thought they said he was going to train 70 horses though...

Pointg5 12-26-2006 02:24 PM

Euro was correct, it is 40, scroll down to the bottom...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...2250376/-1/all

eurobounce 12-26-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packerbacker7964
Link? I hope it's true because I've got friends working the backside there that would love a chance to work for him.

I got the article from courier-journal.com since we get horrible racing news in Indy. Below is the link.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...D=200661225002

pgardn 12-26-2006 02:45 PM

He is not a youngster anymore. I know he loves what he does. Even if some do not agree with his tactics.

eurobounce 12-26-2006 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgardn
He is not a youngster anymore. I know he loves what he does. Even if some do not agree with his tactics.

I agree. At 71 it is hard to have operations at multiple tracks. I think it is good for him and racing to have him scale down and be at one track.

Gander 12-26-2006 02:48 PM

I think it would be good for the welfare of horses for him to be gone.

estreetposse 12-26-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gander
I think it would be good for the welfare of horses for him to be gone.

hate to be "that guy" but i agree with Gander. Countless numbers of horses have had to end their careers short b/c of D. Wayne. While i respect him and what he's done for the sport, he has (IMO) ruined some awfully nice horses, and i rarely see much of his stock make it pass their 3 YO campaign. I think he preps them way to hard with / for triple crown races and there isn't much left of them by years end.

-bt-

ratherrapid 12-26-2006 03:27 PM

lukas

that is ridiculous. shows complete lack of knowledge of lukas training program. lukas is anything but hard on a horse. he's one of the softest trainers around, which is also why he injures a lot of horses. if you watch lukas over the years he vascillates back and forth between soft training and somewhat toughter training. Lukas: "I do not work horses". lukas breezes them fairly slow every 8-10 days. does a few gallops in between at 18sec/f. and races them. that is about it. if you disbelieve the post read Ross Staaden's Winning Trainers on the subject. There is page after page of Lukas training logs. For the uninformed--it is wise to equate hard training with unsound horses, and soft training with trainers that injure horses. there's a large correlation.

ratherrapid 12-26-2006 03:28 PM

lukas

rewrite part of that last post: equate sound horses with hard trainders--injured horses with soft trainers. anyone doubt it, i'll be glad to post the training of Nashua for his match race with swaps.

Rupert Pupkin 12-26-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratherrapid
rewrite part of that last post: equate sound horses with hard trainders--injured horses with soft trainers. anyone doubt it, i'll be glad to post the training of Nashua for his match race with swaps.

Times have changed a little since Swaps and Nashua ran. Nowadays every trainer out there will tell you that the harder you train them, the more likely they are to get hurt. There's no doubt about that and it's not even debatable. The only quetsion is how hard to train them to give them their best chance of winning without breaking them down. It's somewhat of a "catch 22". For example, if you have a good horse that has never run before, if you really want him to win first-time out, his best chance of winning will be if you give him some fast works. The problem is that if you work him fast, you are increasing the chances that the horse wil get hurt before he even makes his first start.

Wih regards to Lukas, he breaks down more horses than anyone. The numbers speak for themselves. He has more sore horses than anyone else. He runs his horses into the ground. He has a terrible reputation and that is why he has a very hard time getting owners these days.

ELA 12-26-2006 04:12 PM

So, I have -- what only some might consider -- an interesting question. How many people who have posted on this thread have a trainer's license? I for one volunteer that I don't have one. For that matter, who has real data -- real #'s -- to support the claims made here?

Look, I am not saying Wayne is hard or easy on his horses. I am on the backstretch everyday at Saratoga, and maybe a couple of times a week or so throughout the rest of the year -- and I am not stating anything as fact! Seems others are, so I would think they can back it up. However, I do question those who do defintively make claims such as this, especially when they appear to be stated as facts.

We all know that Lukas has spotted horses very aggressively. Whether it's him, the owner, a combination, who knows. Not anyone here I would think. However, I think there is a large leap to some of the other claims made here. I'd like to see the #'s that prove some of these claims.

Eric

estreetposse 12-26-2006 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
Wih regards to Lukas, he breaks down more horses than anyone. The numbers speak for themselves. He has more sore horses than anyone else. He runs his horses into the ground. He has a terrible reputation and that is why he has a very hard time getting owners these days.

My thoughts exactly. Since the good o'l boy network is not around any more (Padua, BB Lewis, Overbrook, etc.) he has been getting less and less horses.

Prime example of D. Wayne (who was my favorite trainer when i first started betting the horse): Going Wild; was overmatched by Bellamy Road in the 2005 Wood (along with the rest of the field, but Going Wild did finish a DISTANT last). So what does Lukas do, hey let's take a shot at the Kentucky Derby, where not only Bellamy Road is but 18 other top 3 YO's in country are going to be. If my memory serves me correctly, only 2 horses came out of the 2005 Wood and went on to compete in the 2005 Derby, Bellamy Road and Going Wild. I'm pretty sure at the time Lukas had a incredible streak going of consecutive Derby entries (not sure how many, but it was broke last year i know that), so Going Wild ends up finishing 18th of 20. What good does that do for you or your horse (other than a notch on the breeding resume). Maybe he was getting heavy input from BB Lewis to enter the horse? I don't know the answer to that question, but i do know that that horse should have never been entered in that race. As for the present day, i couldn't tell you where Going Wild is.........anyone know?

-bt-

Rupert Pupkin 12-26-2006 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELA
So, I have -- what only some might consider -- an interesting question. How many people who have posted on this thread have a trainer's license? I for one volunteer that I don't have one. For that matter, who has real data -- real #'s -- to support the claims made here?

Look, I am not saying Wayne is hard or easy on his horses. I am on the backstretch everyday at Saratoga, and maybe a couple of times a week or so throughout the rest of the year -- and I am not stating anything as fact! Seems others are, so I would think they can back it up. However, I do question those who do defintively make claims such as this, especially when they appear to be stated as facts.

We all know that Lukas has spotted horses very aggressively. Whether it's him, the owner, a combination, who knows. Not anyone here I would think. However, I think there is a large leap to some of the other claims made here. I'd like to see the #'s that prove some of these claims.

Eric

The numbers are staggering. People don't just make this stuff up. Some of the major insurers will not insure his horses because of the numbers.

ELA 12-26-2006 04:38 PM

So, does this mean you have the data, proof, etc.? Or is is true just because you say "people don't just make this stuff up"? On this new claim, regarding the insurance, I for one would be very interested in hearing more about this and seeing the proof as I am in the insurance business.

Let's see the numbers. I am sure there are numerous others here besides me who would like to see them.

Eric

brianwspencer 12-26-2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -BT-
As for the present day, i couldn't tell you where Going Wild is.........anyone know?

I won't claim to have any real knowledge of the issue, but I do have the one good example of watching him (or his owners or someone...) ruin a potentially good horse.

Ex Caelis had the makings of a very talented horse early on and she was just terribly managed: spotted way over her head almost her entire career so far, and just got progressively worse and worse on the racetrack when she should have been a legitimate graded stakes contender.

Not sure what contributes to that overall, but it certainly didn't endear him to me any.

Rupert Pupkin 12-26-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELA
So, does this mean you have the data, proof, etc.? Or is is true just because you say "people don't just make this stuff up"? On this new claim, regarding the insurance, I for one would be very interested in hearing more about this and seeing the proof as I am in the insurance business.

Let's see the numbers. I am sure there are numerous others here besides me who would like to see them.

Eric

If you are that interested, then call some of the thoroughbred insurance companies. They have the data.

I don't know how many times Darrel Strawberry has been arrested for drugs. It may be 4 times, it may be 6 times, I have no idea. I don't know the exact number and I really don't care. I do know that Strawberry used to have a drug problem. I don't need to document how may times he was arrested to state that he had a problem.

Lukas breaks down so many horses that many insurance companies won't insure his horse. I don't have the numbers in front of me. I don't know what the exact numbers are. I do know that the numbers are extreme. If you really want to know the exact numbers, then call some insurance companies and find out.