Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stakes Archive (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   9/26 (SA): Pharoah, Rodeo Dr. (G1's), Awesome Again, Chandelier (G2's) (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68525)

Kasept 09-23-2020 06:58 AM

9/25 (SA): Eddie D, Chillingworth (G3's)

Kasept 09-25-2020 02:38 AM

Alabama Stakes 09-25-2020 09:58 AM

Improbable will drown Maximum Security. Will he be favored to do it ?

cakes44 09-26-2020 05:36 PM

No, and no.

Alabama Stakes 09-26-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakes44 (Post 1145676)
No, and no.

Yes and no

Dahoss 09-26-2020 08:09 PM

Obviously he was never going to be favored but that was a big effort. If he handles Keeneland look out because his last 3 show him to be the best dirt horse in the country

cakes44 09-27-2020 04:14 AM

MS never looked like a winner at any point in the race.

Alabama Stakes 09-27-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1145678)
Obviously he was never going to be favored but that was a big effort. If he handles Keeneland look out because his last 3 show him to be the best dirt horse in the country

After that race at Saratoga it was obvious who the best dirt hoss in the country was. Max Security should not have been favored over him. He was life and death 2 back and best weak field last time..

Dahoss 09-27-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes (Post 1145682)
After that race at Saratoga it was obvious who the best dirt hoss in the country was. Max Security should not have been favored over him. He was life and death 2 back and best weak field last time..

To be fair Tom’s d’Etat stumbled pretty badly in Whitney, which certainly helped Improbable, no? Improbable ran though and he’s run very well all year.

I’m just saying, given that Maximum Security was in the race Improbable was never going to be favored, despite you thinking he should have been.

blackthroatedwind 09-27-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1145683)
To be fair Tom’s d’Etat stumbled pretty badly in Whitney, which certainly helped Improbable, no? Improbable ran though and he’s run very well all year.

I’m just saying, given that Maximum Security was in the race Improbable was never going to be favored, despite you thinking he should have been.

Obviously Maximum Security was going to be favored, but I think we would all agree it should have been MUCH closer, and we also probably agree it isn't clear Improbable ( even before the race ) should have been favored. Maximum Security was overbet based a lot on form for a trainer indicted for using performance enhancing drugs, but Improbable's last two races were probably better, though your points about the Whitney aren't unfair at all.

Isn't the question now whether or not we have seen Maximum Security's final race?

Dahoss 09-27-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1145684)
Obviously Maximum Security was going to be favored, but I think we would all agree it should have been MUCH closer, and we also probably agree it isn't clear Improbable ( even before the race ) should have been favored. Maximum Security was overbet based a lot on form for a trainer indicted for using performance enhancing drugs, but Improbable's last two races were probably better, though your points about the Whitney aren't unfair at all.

Isn't the question now whether or not we have seen Maximum Security's final race?

It should have been closer for sure and I don’t disagree with you (or Alabama Stakes) that maybe he should have been favored.

I just think any race Maximum Security shows up in....he’s going to be the favorite. I hope they send him to the Classic because I think he’s toast, but I would also not be surprised if he’s retired in the next few days.

Alabama Stakes 09-27-2020 11:17 AM

He seemed to fight on hard for second. Improbable is just way better right now.
9/5 was enormous. I thought he’d be 4/5 and Max even money. Cold double payed $18 too although the last winner almost jumped the rail 5 in front and barely held.

Dahoss 09-27-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes (Post 1145689)
He seemed to fight on hard for second. Improbable is just way better right now.
9/5 was enormous. I thought he’d be 4/5 and Max even money. Cold double payed $18 too although the last winner almost jumped the rail 5 in front and barely held.

I’d keep an eye on the 3 going forward from the last yesterday. Not one of Drayden Van Dyke’s better efforts.

blackthroatedwind 09-27-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahoss (Post 1145688)
It should have been closer for sure and I don’t disagree with you (or Alabama Stakes) that maybe he should have been favored.

I just think any race Maximum Security shows up in....he’s going to be the favorite. I hope they send him to the Classic because I think he’s toast, but I would also not be surprised if he’s retired in the next few days.

He won't be favored in the Classic:-)

I totally agree that he was going to be favored, but I also thought the odds would be close to what Dan said, with no more than 40 cents to the dollar separating them. I was wrong.