Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FINALLY: a good match up-- the Virginia Derby (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24030)

the_fat_man 07-18-2008 07:11 PM

FINALLY: a good match up-- the Virginia Derby

Once upon a time there'd be plenty of competitive turf races. Now, we settle for the precious few a year.

Sailor's Cap vs. Gio Ponti.

eajinabi 07-18-2008 07:33 PM

who and who?

miraja2 07-18-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eajinabi
who and who?

Maybe you are just joking, but in case you aren't....

Gio Ponti won the Hill Prince at Belmont with a very nice late move.
Sailor's Cap followed up a good second to Tizdejavu at CD with a very big race in the Colonial Turf Cup where he won by 6+ lengths.

It is an interesting matchup, and I hope they both go to Chicago next and square off with Tizdejavu again in the Secretariat.

turf fan 07-18-2008 09:35 PM

Can Gio Ponti get a mile and a quarter off the mile effort? He's by Tale of the Cat. Not the most likely sire of long distance grass runners. Is Sailor's Cap a soft track move-up? I give El Sultry Sun a shot at 10-1 along with Old Man Buck at 5-1. They'll be the ones I play in the back end of my pick 3.

Buffymommy 07-18-2008 10:29 PM

Think I am sticking with Bucky!!

Bobby Fischer 07-18-2008 11:23 PM

race watchers?

worth reading anything into Gio Ponti switching to the left lead late in the hillprince mile?

eajinabi 07-19-2008 01:48 PM

The CNL Turf Cup was an oddly run race in my opinion.

It was a soft turf course and the front runner who was 7 lengths ahead of the field was leading in times of :51, 1:18, 1:45 so yet he folds real bad and closers cruise on by. Is this common at CNL?

There is not much speed today and looks to be a firm ground. I am looking for Court Vision to change tactics today and take the lead and TRY to hang on.

ateamstupid 07-19-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

The CNL Turf Cup was an oddly run race in my opinion.

It was a soft turf course and the front runner who was 7 lengths ahead of the field was leading in times of :51, 1:18, 1:45 so yet he folds real bad and closers cruise on by. Is this common at CNL?

There is not much speed today and looks to be a firm ground. I am looking for Court Vision to change tactics today and take the lead and TRY to hang on.

Do you remember the '06 Colonial Turf Cup with a headstrong horse by the name of Kip Deville?

That's beside the point though. Who knows how quick those fractions really were considering the ground? And that race was all about who could handle the marsh.. Tactics meant very little, IMO.

On another note, I continue to be surprised that Court Vision backers still exist.

eajinabi 07-19-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Do you remember the '06 Colonial Turf Cup with a headstrong horse by the name of Kip Deville?

That's beside the point though. Who knows how quick those fractions really were considering the ground? And that race was all about who could handle the marsh.. Tactics meant very little, IMO.

On another note, I continue to be surprised that Court Vision backers still exist.

Not really a backer of his but with MOTT/Desourmeaux and IEAH as his conncections. 10-1 is not a bad shot to play him. His first shot at turf was on soft and now he has firm. why not?

ateamstupid 07-19-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Not really a backer of his but with MOTT/Desourmeaux and IEAH as his conncections. 10-1 is not a bad shot to play him. His first shot at turf was on soft and now he has firm. why not?

He's proven to be slow. What difference does it make who owns/trains/rides a proven slow horse? Are they suddenly going to make him fast after all of this time?

Generally if the best case you can make for a horse is that they're owned, trained or ridden by someone successful, (unless they're a first-time starter) that's probably a good indication that the horse sucks.

hockey2315 07-19-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

I am looking for Court Vision to change tactics today and take the lead and TRY to hang on.

:confused:

eajinabi 07-19-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

He's proven to be slow. What difference does it make who owns/trains/rides a proven slow horse? Are they suddenly going to make him fast after all of this time?

Generally if the best case you can make for a horse is that they're owned, trained or ridden by someone successful, (unless they're a first-time starter) that's probably a good indication that the horse sucks.

Connections matter a lot when it comes to big money races. There are reasons why the same people win the big races.

ateamstupid 07-19-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Connections matter a lot when it comes to big money races. There are reasons why the same people win the big races.

Why do they matter so much? What are IEAH/Mott/Desormeaux going to do with Court Vision to suddenly make him fast? It's not as if he just got transferred to Mott. He's had him all along, and the horse is still slow. What difference do the connections make at this point?

eajinabi 07-19-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Why do they matter so much? What are IEAH/Mott/Desormeaux going to do with Court Vision to suddenly make him fast? It's not as if he just got transferred to Mott. He's had him all along, and the horse is still slow. What difference do the connections make at this point?

I guess people who bet Frost Giant in the Suburban bet him based on his name

ateamstupid 07-19-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

I guess people who bet Frost Giant in the Suburban bet him based on his name

Huh??? Nobody bet him. The horse paid $82. Way to answer the question by the way.

eajinabi 07-19-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Huh??? Nobody bet him. The horse paid $82. Way to answer the question by the way.

Court Vision did finish last did he not? He is damn slow. They should retire him. You were right ATEAM.

ateamstupid 07-19-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Court Vision did finish last did he not? He is damn slow. They should retire him. You were right ATEAM.

He ran fine, better than I thought he would. Your logic is still ass-backwards and you still can't defend the things you say.

eajinabi 07-19-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

My point was the connections won the race. It was not as if he had tremendous class

ateamstupid 07-19-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

My point was the connections won the race. It was not as if he had tremendous class

Really? It had nothing to do with the fact that the field was absolutely terrible? It was entirely IEAH and Dutrow's doing? That's interesting (read: mind-numbingly ignorant) reasoning.

eajinabi 07-19-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

He ran fine, better than I thought he would. Your logic is still ass-backwards and you still can't defend the things you say.

Take a seat my friend. Ran fine my ass!!!! Props to Gomez however for winning. No one can beat gomez one on one.