Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   134th Preakness Field Close to Set (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29491)

Kasept 05-04-2009 02:09 PM

134th Preakness Field Close to Set

134th PREAKNESS

1. Big Drama (J. Velazquez/D. Fawkes) Swale S., 2nd
2. Flying Private (D.W. Lukas/A. Garcia) Kentucky Derby, 19th
3. Friesan Fire (G. Saez/L. Jones) Kentucky Derby, 18th
4. General Quarters (T. McCarthy/J. Leparoux) Kentucky Derby, 10th
5. Mine That Bird (B. Woolley/M. Smith) Kentucky Derby, 1st
6. Musket Man (D. Ryan/E. Coa) Kentucky Derby, 3rd
7. Papa Clem (G. Stute/R. Bejarano) Kentucky Derby, 4th
8. Pioneerof the Nile (B. Baffert/G. Gomez) Kentucky Derby, 2nd
9. Rachel Alexandra (S. Asmussen/C. Borel) Kentucky Oaks, 1st
10. Take the Points (T. Pletcher/E. Prado) Santa Anita Derby, 4th
11. Terrain (A. Stall Jr./J. Rose) Blue Grass S., 4th
12. Tone It Down (W. Komlo/K. Desormeaux) Tesio S., 3rd
13. Luv Gov (D. W. Lukas/TBD)

South Beach Luv 05-04-2009 02:13 PM

Nice to see Papa Clem in there :tro:

10 pnt move up 05-04-2009 02:45 PM

That might be a worse field then last years survivors of Big Browns romp. Where do they get all these stiffs.

slotdirt 05-04-2009 02:46 PM

Dollars to doughnuts that Papa Clem goes off as the favorite unless ol' Pioneerof enters.

tiggerv 05-04-2009 03:09 PM

I thought FF's hoof got ripped up. Are they really going to bring him back in 2 weeks?

NoLuvForPletch 05-04-2009 03:16 PM

by the time it is all said and done i would be shocked if there wasn't a full field of 14 going postward. anyone with a three year old with all 4 legs attached that has shown any ability to stay what so ever will take a shot if there is room, no? who would they be afraid of?

SniperSB23 05-04-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoLuvForPletch
by the time it is all said and done i would be shocked if there wasn't a full field of 14 going postward. anyone with a three year old with all 4 legs attached that has shown any ability to stay what so ever will take a shot if there is room, no? who would they be afraid of?

With so many horses pointing to the Preakness though you'll have some take the opportunity at easier black type in the Peter Pan or Lone Star Derby.

Coach Pants 05-04-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggerv
I thought FF's hoof got ripped up. Are they really going to bring him back in 2 weeks?

hoof = Jones' pride.

The Indomitable DrugS 05-04-2009 03:43 PM

Maybe a horse like Terrain might be tempted to skip the Lone Star race now and wait a week?

This One's For Phil would be very dangerous in the Preakness now that Dominguez has shown he can settle him to a crawl early on.

brianwspencer 05-04-2009 03:51 PM

Was Hull heading this way?

Scav 05-04-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Was Hull heading this way?

They are pointing towards NY I think with him, not the Belmont either, something else

10 pnt move up 05-04-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperSB23
With so many horses pointing to the Preakness though you'll have some take the opportunity at easier black type in the Peter Pan or Lone Star Derby.

The lone star derby as of last week looks tougher than this.

SniperSB23 05-04-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
The lone star derby as of last week looks tougher than this.

That's assuming none of them redirect to the Preakness which is surely a possibility now.

The Indomitable DrugS 05-04-2009 04:02 PM

The Sunland Derby winner Kelly Leak worked 5 furlongs yesterday.

I wouldn't be shocked if the owners of him are pleading to run in the Preakness.

NoLuvForPletch 05-04-2009 04:04 PM

why wouldn't they take a shot with rachel alexandra here? $1,000,000 here vs $250,000 in the acorn. and she barely broke out of a cantor on friday, while everyone from the derby was panting home and mr fantasy was all out to hold off tofp at a mile?

Gander 05-04-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Maybe a horse like Terrain might be tempted to skip the Lone Star race now and wait a week?

This One's For Phil would be very dangerous in the Preakness now that Dominguez has shown he can settle him to a crawl early on.

I think he is heading towards the Met Mile. Dutrow feels he is at his best as a one run from off the pace type horse, in a middle distance. The Preakness may be too far for him.

The Indomitable DrugS 05-04-2009 04:14 PM

The way he has settled in his last two - the distance won't be a problem at all.

But if allowed to use his natural speed - a mile is probably his best distance.

Gander 05-04-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
The way he has settled in his last two - the distance won't be a problem at all.

But if allowed to use his natural speed - a mile is probably his best distance.

I agree and cant wait to bet him in this race. Never been a fan of this horse, but hes got mad talent and Dutrow loves the Met Mile.

miraja2 05-04-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept
Derby runners considering:
Pioneerof the Nile
Musket Man
Join in the Dance
General Quarters
Friesan Fire

I thought he was pretty impressive on Saturday.
He held on a lot longer than I thought he would, and seemed to respond initially when challenged. Perhaps that was just a product of the track, as he was one of the few that seemed almost as unlikely as Mine that Bird going in, but taking a shot with him in this spot seems reasonable off that performance.

The Indomitable DrugS 05-04-2009 04:42 PM

He and Regal Ransom ran virtually together the whole way around. They both got to keep their faces nice and clean for the most part anyway.