Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Triple Crown Topics/Archive.. (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Derby Trail Probables/Possibles (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69198)

Kasept 03-01-2021 07:55 AM

Derby Trail Probables/Possibles

6/5 (BEL): Belmont Stakes

1. Rombauer (McCarthy/J. Velazquez)
2. Hot Rod Charlie (O'Neill/Prat)
3. Rock Your World (Sadler/Rosario)
4. Known Agenda (Pletcher/I. Ortiz)
5. Bourbonic (Pletcher/Carmouche)
6. Overtook (Pletcher/Franco)
7. Essential Quality (Cox/Saez)
8. France Go de Ina (Mori/Santana)

moses 03-01-2021 04:39 PM

This horse Weyburn interests me. A 1/2 brother to a multiple graded stakes winning sprinter in Yorkton (but sired by Pioneerof the Nile rather than Speightstown).

I imagine he will be about the 6th choice in this race but has the looks of a horse that could really improve with time, although I admittedly thought the same thing about Green Light Go last year. This field may be too tough for him to win...but maybe he can bust into the exacta/trifecta at a solid price.

I'll have to take a closer look once the entries are official.

Dunbar 03-02-2021 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1149855)
AQU: GOTHAM

Freedom Fighter
Highly Motivated
Capo Kane
Wipe the Slate
Awesome Gerry
Smiley Sobotka
Irish Honor
The Reds
Weyburn

Thank you for doing this Derby prep thread again. It's a handy reference.

Kasept 03-02-2021 06:13 AM

Couple of hopeful reveals on ATR Monday with Casse noting 2 for 2 at 2 Helium goes in the Tampa Bay Derby Saturday and 2 for 2 at 3 Soup and Sandwich in the March 27 Florida Derby..

moses 03-02-2021 07:46 AM

Has the Jeff Ruby always been a 100-point prep?

Kasept 03-02-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moses (Post 1149886)
Has the Jeff Ruby always been a 100-point prep?

No.. Raised with CD purchase of Turfway and big purse boost.

moses 03-02-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasept (Post 1149887)
No.. Raised with CD purchase of Turfway and big purse boost.

I didn’t think so. Interested to see what kind of horses target that race and whether it dilutes the Bluegrass or not.

moses 03-06-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moses (Post 1149864)
This horse Weyburn interests me. A 1/2 brother to a multiple graded stakes winning sprinter in Yorkton (but sired by Pioneerof the Nile rather than Speightstown).

I imagine he will be about the 6th choice in this race but has the looks of a horse that could really improve with time, although I admittedly thought the same thing about Green Light Go last year. This field may be too tough for him to win...but maybe he can bust into the exacta/trifecta at a solid price.

I'll have to take a closer look once the entries are official.

Would you believe I didn’t bet this horse?

knickslions2 03-06-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moses (Post 1150027)
Would you believe I didn’t bet this horse?

Ouch

moses 03-06-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickslions2 (Post 1150029)
Ouch

I’ve been trying to be much more selective with my bets lately. So far it’s not paying off.

knickslions2 03-06-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moses (Post 1150030)
I’ve been trying to be much more selective with my bets lately. So far it’s not paying off.

I always say if you like a bomb always take that one. You don’t need to hit many of those to be happy.

King Glorious 03-12-2021 10:24 AM

Interested in where Prevalence goes next. I liked his race yesterday at Gulfstream.

moses 03-12-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Glorious (Post 1150179)
Interested in where Prevalence goes next. I liked his race yesterday at Gulfstream.

Believe Steve was reporting the initial thoughts are the Arkansas Derby or Wood Memorial. The Arkansas Derby makes zero sense to me as he would likely be outclassed by several horses in it.

blackthroatedwind 03-12-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Glorious (Post 1150179)

Someone had to.

Hopefully he runs in the Lexington, and if he runs well, the Preakness.

Maybe the Woody Stephens would be a smarter goal....not that this is a time when people are particularly smart.

RolloTomasi 03-12-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1150182)
Hopefully he runs in the Lexington, and if he runs well, the Preakness.

Maybe the Woody Stephens would be a smarter goal....not that this is a time when people are particularly smart.

Fact that the rider smacked him hard while clear (right as the announcer mentioned how easily he was winning) in order to make him gallop out strongly for another furlong past the wire tells you where the connections' heads are at.

Wonder why the Santa Anita Derby isn't on the list of possible next starts...

blackthroatedwind 03-12-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolloTomasi (Post 1150194)
Fact that the rider smacked him hard while clear (right as the announcer mentioned how easily he was winning) in order to make him gallop out strongly for another furlong past the wire tells you where the connections' heads are at.

Wonder why the Santa Anita Derby isn't on the list of possible next starts...

Why not the UAE Derby?

The myth of him winning easily is laughable. I saw a Tweet after the race talking about how confidently he was handled. Such BS.

Did that killer that finished second catch him in the gallop out?

RolloTomasi 03-12-2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind (Post 1150196)
Why not the UAE Derby?

The myth of him winning easily is laughable. I saw a Tweet after the race talking about how confidently he was handled. Such BS.

Did that killer that finished second catch him in the gallop out?

Godolphin currently has top Derby points earners based in Europe and Japan and also have a couple slated to run in the UAE Derby.

I'm not sure how it works, but if the European and Japanese "roads" to the Derby still have reserved post position spots in the Kentucky Derby if the connections choose to run, it will be interesting to see if Godolphin tries to load the starting gate with no-hopers in order to make things as easy as possible for Essential Quality.

moses 03-12-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolloTomasi (Post 1150199)
Godolphin currently has top Derby points earners based in Europe and Japan and also have a couple slated to run in the UAE Derby.

I'm not sure how it works, but if the European and Japanese "roads" to the Derby still have reserved post position spots in the Kentucky Derby if the connections choose to run, it will be interesting to see if Godolphin tries to load the starting gate with no-hopers in order to make things as easy as possible for Essential Quality.

I believe those spots are still reserved.

King Glorious 03-13-2021 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolloTomasi (Post 1150199)

As opposed to the usual no-hopers that are entered each year by others?

RolloTomasi 03-13-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Glorious (Post 1150204)
As opposed to the usual no-hopers that are entered each year by others?

No, you don't understand.

It is not "as opposed to"...it would be "in addition to".