Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports Bar & Grill (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Joe says no (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17453)

Hickory Hill Hoff 10-18-2007 07:55 PM

You know, I guess I'm "old fashion". A person deserves the upmost respect for doing a job, getting it right, showing results and with CLASS. Joe Torre has done that the past 12 years. NO ONE deserves to end a great career this way with a team or job. Life does sometime suck...things like this make it that way!

pdrift1 10-18-2007 07:56 PM

youth movement -yes ,from within-yes, otherwise your in the same spot, you cant upgrade the 3 i mentioned if you lose them, you have to gradually make a shift

Hickory Hill Hoff 10-18-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
We differ in our opinion of great. I say the Yankees win more games next year than they did this year. We'll see. I fail to see what more the guy wanted. I would have fired him after '05. He was still the highest paid manager in baseball and I think most would say he is clearly not the best manager in the game. He was made an offer, HE declined it.

That bet...you will lose.

I sure if this happened to you in your job, you would feel betrayed and you too would have told them to kiss your ass.

By the way...who in your opinion is the best manager???

Hickory Hill Hoff 10-18-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

No, I can't stand the Yankees.

That answers everything....

next.

pdrift1 10-18-2007 08:00 PM

wait

pdrift1 10-18-2007 08:02 PM

the problem is not torre its the players mainly the pitching staff -no new coach will turn this bunch around anymore then torre

pdrift1 10-18-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Again, Torre is a great guy. But if you were the Yankee brass, what would you have done? I'm just not sure what you wanted them to do. Offer him more money? What is your solution?

you wait it out because no manager is going to change that pitching staff that stinks. so you come to a understanding you have to rebuild and wait. mr steinbrenner should know by now you cant buy a ws. they need to bring up thier talent and wait

pdrift1 10-18-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

I'm not allowed to have an opinion then? I'd still love to know what you would have done. I've asked at least 3 times now.

This is not a personal thing. Calm down and look at it as a business, which is what it is.

i just told you what they need to do

3kings 10-18-2007 08:09 PM

Cashman is more to blame than Torre. He spent the money, without building a descent pitching staff. K. Brown and R. Johnson were over the hill, Orabu that clown from the Braves who got 50 million and won about 3 games. There were too many free agent mistakes by Cashman. If your going to spend the money, get some effing pitching. Cashman should have been the one fired.

pdrift1 10-18-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3kings
Cashman is more to blame than Torre. He spent the money, without building a descent pitching staff. K. Brown and R. Johnson were over the hill, Orabu that clown from the Braves who got 50 million and won about 3 games. There were too many free agent mistakes by Cashman. If your going to spend the money, get some effing pitching. Cashman should have been the one fired.

ive said that in past posts that cashman should go before torre

pdrift1 10-18-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

I think he already bought 3. I agree that the Yankees need to go back and rebuild, but IMO you do that with a new manager. You are 100% right, their pitching staff sucks. Any rotation that features Wang as the ace is a joke. I just don't see the benefit of waiting to make this move.

well if he bought 3 already with torre he can buy another 3 with joe.so maybe its cashman that should be rolling out of town instead of torre. maybe cashman is the reason with bad pickups instead of joe. i'm not letting my emotions base this-but a new coach will do no better with what they have or what they will get

Danzig 10-18-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Hoff, do me a favor. Take your emotion out of this for a second. The guy did his job. He was given the best players a manager could ask for. It didn't work out. What did he deserve? What should they have done? Sometimes it's best to part ways.

i still think this situation is akin to the chargers after their season ended prematurely last year. makes as much sense to do this. how much is enough, or not enough? the guy averaged a ring every three years, postseason 12 years in a row. those are really good results. yeah, everyone wants their team to win out, but how realistic is that to be a legitimate expectation?? and how can anyone think that running off torre, after a hell of a run, and going with someone new, is an improvement? or that they now have a shot to duplicate his successes in the next 12 years? with who? a big name alone won't do it.

i hope they get the baseball version of norv turner. that would be the ultimate end result.

pdrift1 10-18-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

I agree that Cashman deserves to be gone as well. I appreciate your opinion and thank you for offering what they should do. I just think it might be in their best interest to rebuild with a manager of their future.

i think right now they don't even know what direction thier future should be. george loves to buy older vets to win now-that will only put them back in this spot in a few years. the way to go is bring up your talent and wait for them to develop -but i cant see steinbrenner sitting four 4 years waiting for a youth movement to form in new york