Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports Bar & Grill (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Joe says no (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17453)

Hickory Hill Hoff 10-18-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortimer
Oh you betcha!!...based on that quality loss to unranked, 4-2 Rootgars.

On second thought.........

nevermind! :rolleyes:

Crown@club 10-19-2007 09:47 AM

Buck Showalter - one of the most overrated managers now and in history. It was the right decision to let him walk to Zona. Obviously saw why in the first 2 seasons there, why he was overrated. I doubt he would have won a WS ring.

Girardi - Yanks love him. Steinbrenner loves him.
He told the owner in Florida that he needs to shut up during ball games and not get into umpires faces. Thats where it went downhill for Girardi.

Mattingly thinks he's not ready. He's a pretty grateful and honest guy. So with that mentioned it most likely is true.

Mortimer 10-19-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Not to bring up this up again, but I saw this morning what the offer to Torre was. $5 million for the season, $1 million bonus if they make the playoffs, $1 million bonus if they make the ALCS and $1 bonus if they make the World Series. It's a performance based salary. Doesn't seem that unfair to me.

Some dogs just don't hunt,Hossy.

Thunder Gulch 10-19-2007 11:24 AM

While I understand the outpouring of love for Torre and what he has done with the Yanks, let's not overrate him as a manager. He went to the Yankees with a sub 500 record and rode a $200 M payroll to some postseason success. Consider that only two other franchises regularly had payrolls half the size of the Yanks, and I don't know why he hasn't won more in the last 8 years.

Mortimer 10-19-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
While I understand the outpouring of love for Torre and what he has done with the Yanks, let's not overrate him as a manager. He went to the Yankees with a sub 500 record and rode a $200 M payroll to some postseason success. Consider that only two other franchises regularly had payrolls half the size of the Yanks, and I don't know why he hasn't won more in the last 8 years.

'

OOOOOOOOOO

Hickory Hill Hoff 10-19-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Not to bring up this up again, but I saw this morning what the offer to Torre was. $5 million for the season, $1 million bonus if they make the playoffs, $1 million bonus if they make the ALCS and $1 bonus if they make the World Series. It's a performance based salary. Doesn't seem that unfair to me.

He's made the playoff 12 straight years....been the manager the same time too.
The "fair" thing would have been to give him the same contract for two more years and then he would retired.
It would have also been the "classy" thing to do!

To me...it's all about "class" or lack there of.....................

Mortimer 10-19-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
He's made the playoff 12 straight years....been the manager the same time too.
The "fair" thing would have been to give him the same contract for two more years and then he would retired.
It would have also been the "classy" thing to do!

To me...it's all about "class" or lack there of.....................

FOR FAILING TO DO SO!!?

Hickory Hill Hoff 10-19-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Hoff, again, it's a business thing. They don't owe him anything. Come on man. This is the real world. Wake up, rarely does a business do the "classy" thing, especially the Yankees. I am surprised at how shocked you are they did this. As a "true" Yankee fan, surely it couldn't have been that surprising.

Not shocked.....but do think it SUCKS!

Hickory Hill Hoff 10-19-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

FOR FAILING TO DO SO!!?

Yes, my friend...Life is full of

failures.

Danzig 10-19-2007 01:01 PM

i think instead of making a bullshit offer, they should have told joe thanks, but we're going to move in a new direction. we appreciate the last 12 years, they've been great. have a nice little send-off and that's that.

but apparently the two boys wanted everyone to understand without any doubt that it's business as usual in yankee-ville.

Danzig 10-19-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

The whole thing is speculation. But what would you have liked them to do? You think it's wrong, but offer up no solution.

Bobby Cox won 14 straight pennants. It can be done.

Don't you think that with the players Torre got that he SHOULD have been making the playoffs. I mean come on, the guy is blessed with a roster of future Hall of Famers. He won and should have. But they have been unable to get over that hump in the last few years. it was time for a change.

no solution? i think joe should have been able to stay, that's my solution.

as for the roster, for the 20 years preceding torres arrival, they didn't win jack. they had deep pockets then too, didn't they? i just think that torres twelve years were fine, i think steinbrenner is being unrealistic to expect a ring every year. hell, with joe, they averaged a ring every three years--not too shabby!
but, it's his team, he can do what he wants with it. and he has, so that's that.

Mortimer 10-19-2007 01:22 PM

I think Dannie and Prep HHH are colluding under the table.

SniperSB23 10-19-2007 01:27 PM

So prior to Mattingly the Yankees won 22 World Series. Then in his 14 years there they can't even manage to win a division title. He leaves and they immediately win 4 World Series in 5 years. Then they bring him back as hitting coach and then bench coach and they have failed to win a World Series in all five seasons despite being heavy favorites to do so. Sure sounds like a winner to me. They might as well just hire Isaiah Thomas.

Hickory Hill Hoff 10-19-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

I think Dannie and Prep HHH are colluding under the table.

What.....

the.....

F>CK???

Danzig 10-19-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Why is a contract based on performance bullshit? I think more peoples salary should be structured like this.

oh, i don't know hoss. maybe it should be. but since i'm taking the view that torre has been doing a good job already, than i feel he shouldn't suddenly be the guinea pig, and that the yankees were biting the hand that had been feeding them.
i agree with those i've heard on the radio, that this deal was designed to be rejected. it worked. if they really didn't want torre any more, they should have said so, handled it better than they did.

i wonder what the horrific facial expressions would have been, had he actually accepted?! oh, to be a fly on that wall had joe said ok!

Danzig 10-19-2007 05:53 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7344256?FSO2&ATT=MA

par for the course with the yanks...

moving on.