Derby Trail Forums

Derby Trail Forums (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Charles Hatton Reading Room (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Perfect Trip Picture Thread (http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21313)

CSC 04-04-2008 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles
Cigar was also a declining horse at the time. He finished his career one for his last four.

While I agree, I'm convinced had Cigar had the trip of Alphabet Soup (who was one lane inside of Cigar) in the 96 Breeders Cup and Alphabet Soup had the trip of Cigar the results would have been reversed. The outside was not to be the place that day as the track was heavily biased that day, to give one an example Mt. Sassasfras who rode the rail for the complete 1 1/4 was beaten by no more than a long neck in 4th and though he did go on to win that Gr.1 at GP under Bailey ironically, he shouldn't have even been in the picture. Lit De Justice, Jewell Princess, Boston Harbour all rode the rail that day. All things considered I thought Cigar ran a hell of a race to only be beaten by a neck.

CSC 04-04-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmorioles
It is very expensive. You can do pretty much all the same stuff with the free program The Gimp.

thanks for the tip

Travis Stone 04-04-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSC
While I agree, I'm convinced had Cigar had the trip of Alphabet Soup (who was one lane inside of Cigar) in the 96 Breeders Cup and Alphabet Soup had the trip of Cigar the results would have been reversed. The outside was not to be the place that day as the track was heavily biased that day

It was an extremely rail biased track, and Cigar still dug-in tremendously despite the horrendously wide trip. He only lost by a half-length. That shows what type of horse he was.

RolloTomasi 04-04-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
As for his Pacific Classic win - you are entitled to your opinon that he didn't have a favorable trip.

However, don't pretend like he was some horse who always got a great trip and never had an excuse.

Never said any of that. Merely took issue with your ridiculous assertion that he was "wildly inferior" to Siphon and Dramatic Gold.

I wonder what Siphon and Dramatic Gold's respective records were in Grade 1 dirt races beyond a mile.

CSC 04-04-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Stone
It was an extremely rail biased track, and Cigar still dug-in tremendously despite the horrendously wide trip. He only lost by a half-length. That shows what type of horse he was.

I agree, alot of people focused on Cigar not winning that day and I don't think he got the credit he deserved from that race, he certainly didn't get many favors that day.

10 pnt move up 04-04-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolloTomasi
Yeah, the other day I noticed she won 3 straight Apple Blossoms.

What mare won 3 Matriarchs and 3 Ramonas and came within a neck of winning 3 Beverly Hills?

Flawlessly, who was one of the great turf mares of all time, and a horse I was very fond of personally.