The Indomitable DrugS
02-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Is in for $7,500 on Feb 15th going 4.5 furlongs at Charles Town

POINTGIVEN1985
02-12-2007, 04:40 PM
its kinda sad

Danzig
02-12-2007, 04:43 PM
shame we don't have money left over, we could buy this guy and retire him.

slotdirt
02-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I wish someone would. Him and poor old Peeping Tom.

slotdirt
02-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Check that - they finally did retire Peeping Tom!

I don't know though, if the horse is sound, why not run him?

Gander
02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Chuck town. A long way from Shake's glory days at Belmont, eh?
Man this horse was always so reliable singling on the front end of doubles and in the middle of pick 3's. I miss him being real racetracks and competing at high levels. I hope he doesnt hurt himself.

Scav
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM

What I want to know is why this trainer has no balls to tell this jerkoff Cole that he is being an idiot

Gander
02-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Kind of the same reason you dont tell your boss hes an idiot :cool:

Scav
02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Kind of the same reason you dont tell your boss hes an idiot :cool:

I am not sure who the trainer even is, but he would get MORE horses for doing it, then looking like a schmuck by running him. I mean CHARLES TOWN....Next he will be running at the Hippodrome

Kasept
02-12-2007, 06:09 PM
The trainer is Scott Lake.

Scav
02-12-2007, 06:13 PM
The trainer is Scott Lake.

Even more hatred now because he couldn't win the god damn 5th or 6th at Gulfstream on Saturday(5f turf race) for my pick three. Lake telling this guy to not run loses him ZERO business. ZERO. If anything, telling him that he will not take anymore of this owners horses will gain him business and good publicity, a good move for a guy who consistently has TEN POINT MOVE UPS (new user name that I absolutely LOVE)

Gander
02-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Lake? Then that begs the question (much to Scav's point), doesnt Lake have any feelings for Shake You Down based on past successes? I mean if I were Lake, I would have trouble sleeping at night knowing I am putting this horse in harm's way for a measly $7,500.

Scav
02-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I say we ride dirty down to Charlestown for a night and lay down in front of the starting gate before the race.......old school vietnam protesting.....

Cajungator26
02-12-2007, 06:33 PM
If I had the $$, I'd claim him myself. :(

slotdirt
02-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Well done, Kasept. I take particular note because I like Charles Town, but I hate seeing gamers like Shake You Down running 4.5f claimers at CT.

Thoroughbred Fan
02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
One of my partners tried to claim him at Laurel when he was going in for $5k. He was going to just put the money up then retire the horse. He had our trainer call and ask about just selling him since he was gonna take him anyway. The jocks agent told the trainer that it wasn't the first call he had gotten like this. Suddenly, the assbag Cole scratches him and runs him back for $15k instead. He finished 3rd. My partner wasn't about to spend $15k to retire the horse, especially since Cole would have gotten the money. This horse deserves better, but more importantly, Cole should be embarassed.

randallscott35
02-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Lake? Then that begs the question (much to Scav's point), doesnt Lake have any feelings for Shake You Down based on past successes? I mean if I were Lake, I would have trouble sleeping at night knowing I am putting this horse in harm's way for a measly $7,500.

Completely agree, but I'm not sure he gets it.

Swap Fliparoo
02-12-2007, 09:14 PM
One of my partners tried to claim him at Laurel when he was going in for $5k. He was going to just put the money up then retire the horse. He had our trainer call and ask about just selling him since he was gonna take him anyway. The jocks agent told the trainer that it wasn't the first call he had gotten like this. Suddenly, the assbag Cole scratches him and runs him back for $15k instead. He finished 3rd. My partner wasn't about to spend $15k to retire the horse, especially since Cole would have gotten the money. This horse deserves better, but more importantly, Cole should be embarassed.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

philcski
02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
What an ass clown. Seriously. This horse has meant so much to his owner, and Lake (before Lava Man, perhaps the greatest claim of all time), and they're doing their best to ruin his legacy or even worse, have him break down. Just retire the poor guy to the Horse Park.

I love SYD.

saucon17
02-12-2007, 09:25 PM
In the lastest Bloodhorse magezine there is a big article
about Robert L. Cole Jr.

He has a quote about Shake You Down

He says "All I know is that he will always have home when he is done racing, that I can asuure you. I already have a home picked out for him at Tim Salzman farm in Carrol County. We're not going to run him any cheaper than $14,000, and obviously, we're not going to send him out there if we feel he can't win or if we feel his health is compromised. But we don't feel that way now"

Scav
02-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Lake needs to get kicked in the balls and Cole needs to not only get kicked in the balls but also his teeth knocked out.

Hopefully people shut up and just claim the horse and retire him to Kentucky Horse Park, so it pisses Cole off.

And when Cole tries to buy him back, you make him sign a contract saying that this horse will not run in thoroghbred racing again.......

saucon17
02-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm just wondering if this a ploy to just rattle racing fans and to
bring attention to themselves (Lake and Cole). Then they
would eventually just scratch him out of the race.

Scav
02-12-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm just wondering if this a ploy to just rattle racing fans and to
bring attention to themselves (Lake and Cole). Then they
would eventually just scratch him out of the race.

I doubt he runs, and if he runs, he will get claimed and retired, at least I hope

docicu3
02-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Should anybody want to hear how affected Mr Byk is by Coles decision to enter SYD at CT on Thursday in the 4 th race a $7500 claimer just listen to the last 2 minutes of ATRAB yesterday.

On ATRAB Monday besides bringing the entry of Shake You Down in Thursdays CT 4TH to light, Steve also reminded us of how self promoting Cole was last year about being passed over for an owners ECLIPSE nomination when he was a guest on ATRAB.

Byk's remarks about Cole's insane greedy plans for Shake You Down this Thursday night, highlighted the motivation of an ungrateful egocentric owner squeezing the last subpar performance possible from a loyal employee who has served master well and is more than deserving of a life without Scott Lake assistants treating him like another drone after a lengthy career that allows Cole and Lake to live like kings!!!!

Perhaps in farewell it would be more appropriate for Shake You Down to "moon" his present owner Thursday night in his final public appearance at Charles Town Racetrack. It's safe to say that a good look at the horses backside is about as close to an ECLIPSE award that Mr Cole will ever come.

Well done Byk.......if you need an increase in your blood pressure meds after that show just drop me a line.

DrDave

Thoroughbred Fan
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Lake needs to get kicked in the balls and Cole needs to not only get kicked in the balls but also his teeth knocked out.

Hopefully people shut up and just claim the horse and retire him to Kentucky Horse Park, so it pisses Cole off.

And when Cole tries to buy him back, you make him sign a contract saying that this horse will not run in thoroghbred racing again.......

No need for any contract, you just sell him back without papers. Then he cannot race.

paisjpq
02-13-2007, 09:47 AM
No need for any contract, you just sell him back without papers. Then he cannot race.
yeah but then he'll end up like all of michael Gill's former horses...on a double decker truck.:(

Sightseek
02-13-2007, 09:50 AM
yeah but then he'll end up like all of michael Gill's former horses...on a double decker truck.:(

You mean the Michael Gill who deserved the Eclipse for Outstanding Owner? :rolleyes:

paisjpq
02-13-2007, 09:51 AM
You mean the Michael Gill who deserved the Eclipse for Outstanding Owner? :rolleyes:
the one and only:mad:

capbettr
02-13-2007, 09:53 AM

Duplicate copies of a horses papers can be obtained/ purchased from the Jockey Club.

If you don't want the horse to race again, you don't sell it. Otherwise, it's the buyer's perogative.....

PT

Scav
02-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Duplicate copies of a horses papers can be obtained/ purchased from the Jockey Club.

If you don't want the horse to race again, you don't sell it. Otherwise, it's the buyer's perogative.....

PT

PT, I have heard that people that sell horses for retirement have created contracts where it is written to where the horse is not allowed to race anymore, thus a binding agreement. You could easily get a injunction(?) and force the horse to scratch if you had this contract as it would be legally binding.

AeWingnut
02-13-2007, 11:10 AM
"Rick's Natural Star. Horse was tied to a tree overnight outside a motel on his way to a Breeders' Cup race. He finished last by the length of the homestretch."

I forget who did it but someone claimed Rick's Natural Star and retired him
for the good of the horse and the good of racing

capbettr
02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
PT, I have heard that people that sell horses for retirement have created contracts where it is written to where the horse is not allowed to race anymore, thus a binding agreement. You could easily get a injunction(?) and force the horse to scratch if you had this contract as it would be legally binding.

That makes a lot of sense so, indeed, a contract that specifically states the sale is not for racing purposes would probably hold water in a court of law.

I have seen it where a seller simply writes "NOT FOR RACING" on a horse's papers but does not specify no racing in the sales contract. Then, the buyer simply applied for a new set of papers by claiming he/she has "lost" the original.

PT

AeWingnut
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm afraid to say there are worse things than racing for $7,500 like he could end up as French cuisine. :(

Linny
02-13-2007, 11:49 AM
The Jockey Club doesn't recognize the "marking" of papers. You simply get new ones. It's sad the the American Jockey Club is more interested in the protection of the bloodline than they are of the protection of the thoroughbreds that give them a purpose to exist.
A perfect example is Phantom on Tour who was outplaced and went through several owners before turning back up at a track many years later. At any time, the owner of the thoroughbred, for whatever reason, should have the right to permantently end that horse's racing career.

There is a movement afoot in the riding/sport horse world to put pressure on the JC to add to the database, a permanent designation "not for racing purposes." Since this is a racing board, I won't bore y'all with the "why's and wherefor's" but suffice to say it will help horses who really should be away from the track.

As to SYD, this poor horse can't breathe and should be frolicking in a pasture or learning to carry a rider to small jumps or go out for trail ride.

Buffymommy
02-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I want a horse. Anyone want to buy him for me? I just want to do some entry level dressage and no higher than say 2'3 jumps. I would make an excellent horsie mommy....

I would even change my name to "shakeyoudownmommy".

Samm
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
That makes a lot of sense so, indeed, a contract that specifically states the sale is not for racing purposes would probably hold water in a court of law.

I have seen it where a seller simply writes "NOT FOR RACING" on a horse's papers but does not specify no racing in the sales contract. Then, the buyer simply applied for a new set of papers by claiming he/she has "lost" the original.

PT
You contact the jockey club and tell them the horse is not to race... simple as that

pickinemup
02-13-2007, 04:35 PM

back to his proper level prior to all the needles...is this a surprise?

Linny
02-13-2007, 05:25 PM
The JC has no designation in their database for nonracing, papered TB's. papers make him eleigible. If someone marks them before selling a horse and that horse fall into the "wrong hands" down the line the "wrong" person needs only to request new papers of the JC and presto! instant RACEhorse.

khcnz
02-13-2007, 06:09 PM
I just don't get all the criticism. If all the people nastily criticizing Cole/Lake are so upset by them racing their horse, then go to CT with the money and go claim him. Then you can do with him as you wish. Otherwise, stop whining.

saucon17
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Do you honestly not see what is wrong here? The horse put those 2 guys on the map. Made them a ton of money. Cole went on record saying he wouldn't run him under $15,000 and is now. The horse obviously has no interest in running anymore and I think people just don't want to see him injured. Cole should be ashamed of himself. What exactly does running Shake You Down get him? Does he need that purse money? Please. Guy is a douche.

AMEN

Totally agree with you

Samm
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
The JC has no designation in their database for nonracing, papered TB's. papers make him eleigible. If someone marks them before selling a horse and that horse fall into the "wrong hands" down the line the "wrong" person needs only to request new papers of the JC and presto! instant RACEhorse.
Sold without papers... so the JC won't issue new ones

Thoroughbred Fan
02-13-2007, 07:31 PM
That is what I said, as a horse owner. Someone here insinuated they could get new papers. Not true only the owner of record with the jockey club can get new papers. You can sell a horse without the appropriate Jockey Club notification if it is for hunting, leisure riding, etc....

The new owners can not get papers without your consent!

Danzig
02-14-2007, 06:46 AM
got my newest bloodhorse, and guess who they had an article about? cole. and shake you down is mentioned in there, as is a 'national radio show' that gave him a hard time. hmm, wonder who that could be?;)

i wish i could put my money where my mouth is, and claim the horse-guess i'll just have to whine about it as someone said above. but then, many of the threads on here could be construed by some as 'whining'. but then, vampires suck the life blood wherever they can...

Linny
02-14-2007, 06:53 AM
You can sell or give away a horse w/ no papers but many "post race" homes (not nessessarily in SYDs case) WANT papers. They want to have a verifyable record of who the horse is. Within the show/sporthorse realms, pedigree and papers have become very important.

I'd like the JC to honor the wishes of owners who want to sell or give away a horse with papers that the animal will never return to racing.

Kasept
02-14-2007, 07:15 AM
got my newest bloodhorse, and guess who they had an article about? cole. and shake you down is mentioned in there, as is a 'national radio show' that gave him a hard time. hmm, wonder who that could be? ;)
Well.. there's only one 'national radio show' about horse racing that I'm aware of, so I have an idea... Will have to ask the author of the piece, who I understand wasn't keen on doing it, about the specifics...

Danzig
02-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Well.. there's only one 'national radio show' about horse racing that I'm aware of, so I have an idea... Will have to ask the author of the piece, who I understand wasn't keen on doing it, about the specifics...

i glanced thru the article a bit looking for mention of shake you down. can't believe that guy threw a hissie and really, truly thought he should get the top owner eclipse. he also is amused that some MD racing secretaries are sore at him for claiming horses and then taking them out of the area to run...reminds me of another owner who played this sort of game, wonder if gill is this guys hero or something? at any rate, i wasn't impressed from what i saw in there.

paisjpq
02-14-2007, 10:05 AM

no it isn't...there is another 'national show' on every saturday.

I realize that Haskin was talking about you but lets not lose sight of the facts.

LARHAGE
02-14-2007, 11:41 AM

Thats what I thought, a few years ago we got a beautiful black Thoroughbred from Bobby Frankel, he wouldn't release the papers to be sure the horse never ran again, too bad as he would have crossed beautifully with Warmblood mares, he went to a great home as a hunter and dressage prospect. As in all breeds if the horses are sold without papers, you can not simply ask for new ones, the owner on record has to have a transfer of ownership signed and dated.

Linny
02-14-2007, 11:50 AM
The point is that the papers make horses eligible for certain other registries. Mares w/TB papers are eligible for certain warmblood registries' main books etc. For many folks outside the racing world, those papers are important. They prove age, parentage and provide a history of the animal's whereabouts. The problem is that since the JC will replaced marked papers the only way to keep a horse away from racing is to destroy the papers. Trainers who are doing so are doing it for a good reason, yet they may be doing a disservice (indirectly) to the horse, or future owners.

If the JC would acknowledge the "NON RACING" designation (ie, honor the racing owner's wishes) then the horse could keep his or her papers and still never be able to race again.

Revidere
02-14-2007, 12:06 PM
In the lastest Bloodhorse magezine there is a big article
about Robert L. Cole Jr.

He says "All I know is that he will always have home when he is done racing, that I can asuure you. I already have a home picked out for him at Tim Salzman farm in Carrol County. We're not going to run him any cheaper than $14,000, and obviously, we're not going to send him out there if we feel he can't win or if we feel his health is compromised. But we don't feel that way now"

Check out his races racereplays.com and judge for yourself if he wants run any longer.

Shame

Cannon Shell
02-14-2007, 12:59 PM
no it isn't...there is another 'national show' on every saturday.

I realize that Haskin was talking about you but lets not lose sight of the facts.
yeah but no one listens to that show....at least they dont twice:D

LARHAGE
02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
The point is that the papers make horses eligible for certain other registries. Mares w/TB papers are eligible for certain warmblood registries' main books etc. For many folks outside the racing world, those papers are important. They prove age, parentage and provide a history of the animal's whereabouts. The problem is that since the JC will replaced marked papers the only way to keep a horse away from racing is to destroy the papers. Trainers who are doing so are doing it for a good reason, yet they may be doing a disservice (indirectly) to the horse, or future owners.

If the JC would acknowledge the "NON RACING" designation (ie, honor the racing owner's wishes) then the horse could keep his or her papers and still never be able to race again.

I completely agree with you, I breed dogs and on the registration papers they have a box the breeder can check if they don't want the dog to be bred, it doesn't prevent them from participating in other events or make them lose their pedigree, just prevent careless back yard breedings. The Jockey Club could just as easily have this option on their papers.

FairPlay
02-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I agree that he should be retired, but where did any one get the idea that he belongs at the Kentucky Horse Park. They have a Hall of Champions and Shake You Down was never a champion. Was he ever a statebred champion? Absent some champion status, I see him more at Old Friends or Rerun than at the KY Horse Park.

MISTERGEE
02-21-2007, 10:54 AM
just out of curiosity how did he run in that 4 and a half furlong race at ct for $7500 a few days ago?

Scav
02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Can someone post a link to that article regarding Cole getting pissed off, I would LOVE to read it...I might turn this into a mission regarding this jerkoff

saucon17
02-21-2007, 11:07 AM
just out of curiosity how did he run in that 4 and a half furlong race at ct for $7500 a few days ago?
Charles Town canceled that night because of bad weather

saucon17
02-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Can someone post a link to that article regarding Cole getting pissed off, I would LOVE to read it...I might turn this into a mission regarding this jerkoff

Scav is that bloodhorse article about Cole you are looking for

Scav
02-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Scav is that bloodhorse article about Cole you are looking for

yeah, I am hoping someone has a link of Haskin mentioning it

saucon17
02-21-2007, 11:55 AM
yeah, I am hoping someone has a link of Haskin mentioning it

The name of the article is called "Cole's Claims" and it's in Feb 10, 2007
Bloodhorse. Been searching online for it and I can't find it. Maybe you can
find it, if you don't maybe I can scan the article and PM it to you because
I got that issue of the Bloodhorse

Echo Farm
02-23-2007, 06:47 AM
$10,000 tag this time.

Shake You Down is entered to run on February 25, 2007 at CHARLES TOWN RACES & SLOTS

Race: 6 Distance: Four And One Half Furlongs Surface: Dirt Age: 9 Sex: Gelding
Race Type: Claiming Purse: $24000
Jockey: J. D. Acosta
Trainer: Scott A. Lake
Race conditions:FOR FOUR YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD. Weight, 121 lbs. Non-winners of a race since January 25 Allowed 3 lbs. A race since December 25 Allowed 5 lbs. Claiming Price $10,000, For Each $1,000 To $8,000 2 lbs. (Races where entered for $7,500 or less not considered).
Last Raced: 01/18/2007 at LAUREL PARK in Race 6
Finish Position: 5th
Last Reported Workouts:
12/22/2006-LAUREL PARK-Three Furlongs-Dirt Fast-37:80 Breezing 11/22/2006-BOWIE-Three Furlongs-Dirt Fast-37:80 Breezing 09/23/2006-BOWIE-Three Furlongs-Dirt Fast-37:60 Breezing

paisjpq
02-23-2007, 07:07 PM
worked today @ Laurel

Horse name Shake You Down
Notes
Activity type Workout
Activity date 02-23-2007
Track Laurel Park
Surface Dirt
Distance 3 Furlongs
Workout type Breezing
Workout time 0:37.20
Track condition Fast

Echo Farm
02-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Your corgi lost his tail.........................

paisjpq
02-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Your corgi lost his tail.........................

her tail...but she's okay with it...cause they left her a NUBBIN:D

Echo Farm
02-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I guess Shake You Down will be scratched again since he worked at Laurel on 2/23.

Two tracks act on herpes
By MATT HEGARTY
Charles Town Races in West Virginia and Penn National Racecourse in Pennsylvania on Friday put in place restrictions on horses shipping to and from their racetracks because of fears that horses in Virginia may have been exposed to equine herpesvirus, a highly contagious disease.

Penn National closed its backstretch to all horses shipping from tracks, farms, or training centers in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware, and any horse who leaves the grounds to race in Maryland or West Virginia will not be allowed back "until further notice."

Charles Town adopted a prohibition on any horse entering its backstretch who had been in either Maryland or Virginia since Feb. 1.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/82804.html

paisjpq
03-13-2007, 09:51 AM
In again for those interested...

Horse name Shake You Down
Notes
Activity type Entry
Activity date 03-15-2007
Track Charles Town
Surface Dirt
Distance 4 1/2 Furlongs
Race number 7
Purse $21,000
Claim price $7,500
Individual claim price $7,500
Race type Claiming
Post position 3
Jockey Acosta J D

POINTGIVEN1985
03-13-2007, 10:02 AM
can he still run ? i bet him about 5 months ago at laurel he was 3-1 i put $50 on him he set the pace opened up i thought he was going to win then died finished 3rd i think

Cajungator26
03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
I wish I had the money.

saucon17
03-13-2007, 10:25 AM
I wish I had the money.

This horse deserves a better life than what Cole
is doing to him. You would think Cole will get it
through his mind that Shake You Down has given
a lot to him and that he earnings has paid for a lot
of his other horses. Mr. Cole think about and do the
right thing for him. If he doesn't hopefully somebody
will step up and give this horse a better life

phystech
03-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Care to share with me what you think a better life for him would be? And, please be sure to include the basis for your judgement other than the fact that he is 9 yrs old.

Thx

Cajungator26
03-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Care to share with me what you think a better life for him would be? And, please be sure to include the basis for your judgement other than the fact that he is 9 yrs old.

Thx

A better life:

http://www.melton.vic.gov.au/Page/Images/HomeMyrnonghorse.jpg

saucon17
03-13-2007, 10:37 AM

Thx

This from a Bloodhorse Article

They why would he say this bullshit. He made this statement and
not following it. I think doesn't care if this horse breaks down.
Some of us on DT think this should deserve much better. Shake You
Down should spend his days in a paddock being a horse

Cajungator26
03-13-2007, 10:40 AM

They why would he say this bullshit. He made this statement and
not following it. I think doesn't care if this horse breaks down.
Some of us on DT think this should deserve much better. Shake You
Down should spend his days in a paddock being a horse

I agree with you. A horse that's won more than 1.5 million on the track deserves more than being run in cheap claimers. If he's going to say the above, he needs to back up what's he saying.

Echo Farm
03-13-2007, 10:47 AM

is this online? have a link?

or if in the print edition, do you have issue / page # ?

thanks (not being confrontational, just want to read the article) :cool:

Buffymommy
03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Shake You Down can go off to be retrained for another discipline other than racing. He is only 9 years old. Let him go be a little girl's dream come true.

Sightseek
03-13-2007, 10:49 AM

It is in one of the Breeder Regions sections, I'd say 4 or 5 issues back.

paisjpq
03-13-2007, 10:49 AM

I don't think that article ever made it online...it was in an issue about a month ago (I'm sure saucon has the exact date).

saucon17
03-13-2007, 10:50 AM
I agree with you. A horse that's won more than 1.5 million on the track deserves more than being run in cheap claimers. If he's going to say the above, he needs to back up what's he saying.

Jamie and Bethani,

Looks like Cole got some common sense he scratched out, now
we hope he is done racing and we don't see him in the entries again.
Like I said before, I wonder if Cole does this to just get an uproar and
people mad and he always scratches him

Mike

4 1/2 Furlongs | Open | 4 Year Olds And Up Claiming ($7,500 - $7,000) | Purse: $21,000

Prg. # PP Horse Jockey Trainer Wt. Claim $ Equip. Med. ML
Shake You Down SCRATCHED
1 1 Ian's Rocket McGowan M C Cartagena Keisy 114 $7,250 LA 5-1
2 2 Joe Pag Bracaloni N D Cartagena Julio R 114 $7,250 LA 5-2
3 3 Whatayathink Ramirez E Schlesinger Renee A 116 $7,500 LA 8-1
4 4 Whispered Ways Dunkelberger T L Vance David W 116 $7,500 LA 4-1
5 5 Tucson City Sosa P Jr Martinez Jose 116 $7,500 LA 9-2
6 6 Yada Boy Soodeen R Espinosa Victor M 116 $7,500 Blk-On LA 12-1
7 7 Truckee Traveler Perez Nilo Condon Leslie A 116 $7,500 LA 20-1
8 8 Dance Sister Dance Flores O Spears Stephen A 116 $7,500 LA 10-1
9 9 Should Be Fun Larrosa G Herbst Preston L 116 $7,500 LA 10-1

Echo Farm
03-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I can't find him listed. I have him in my Equibase Virtual stable and never received a notice.

Is it possible he was entered, then scratched? Is the ban still on for horses from PA & MD?

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbRaceEntriesDisplay.cfm?TRK=CT&CY=USA&DATE=03/15/2007&STYLE=EQB

sniped! (above)

Cajungator26
03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Jamie and Bethani,

Looks like Cole got some common sense he scratched out, now
we hope he is done racing and we don't see him in the entries again.
Like I said before, I wonder if Cole does this to just get an uproar and
people mad and he always scratches him

Mike

4 1/2 Furlongs | Open | 4 Year Olds And Up Claiming ($7,500 - $7,000) | Purse: $21,000

Prg. # PP Horse Jockey Trainer Wt. Claim $ Equip. Med. ML
Shake You Down SCRATCHED
1 1 Ian's Rocket McGowan M C Cartagena Keisy 114 $7,250 LA 5-1
2 2 Joe Pag Bracaloni N D Cartagena Julio R 114 $7,250 LA 5-2
3 3 Whatayathink Ramirez E Schlesinger Renee A 116 $7,500 LA 8-1
4 4 Whispered Ways Dunkelberger T L Vance David W 116 $7,500 LA 4-1
5 5 Tucson City Sosa P Jr Martinez Jose 116 $7,500 LA 9-2
6 6 Yada Boy Soodeen R Espinosa Victor M 116 $7,500 Blk-On LA 12-1
7 7 Truckee Traveler Perez Nilo Condon Leslie A 116 $7,500 LA 20-1
8 8 Dance Sister Dance Flores O Spears Stephen A 116 $7,500 LA 10-1
9 9 Should Be Fun Larrosa G Herbst Preston L 116 $7,500 LA 10-1

I'm glad to see that, Mike... he's too nice of a horse to be placed in those kinds of situations. I'd feel the same way if they started throwing Funny Cide or Perfect Drift in cheap claimers. Thanks for posting the update. :)

saucon17
03-13-2007, 10:53 AM

I got the issue and I asked the BH to send me a link for it
online and they won't because it is not online

saucon17
03-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't think that article ever made it online...it was in an issue about a month ago (I'm sure saucon has the exact date).

It was the Feburary 10, 2007 issue and it is in
the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic report. It is written
by Steve Haskin and called "Cole's Claims"

It starts on page 902 Echo Farm

Echo Farm
03-13-2007, 11:08 AM
It was the Feburary 10, 2007 issue and it is in
the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic report. It is written
by Steve Haskin and called "Cole's Claims"

It starts on page 902 Echo Farm

THANKS!

paisjpq
03-13-2007, 11:14 AM
it looks like the shipping ban was extended until march 19th...probably what prompted him being scratched...i think Cole is absolutely greedy enough to run this horse...at any level he thinks the horse might possibly get a paycheck.

http://www.arcimembers.com/PublicPages/2001web/news/2003/031003.pdf

phystech
03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
OK, here's my take on this situation - and it may not be a popular one....

None of us know what is best for this horse, including me. It's a nice thought to envision him standing in a field full of daisies somewhere and all he has to do is eat. But, that might not be what is "best" for the horse. Isn't it possible that the horse simply enjoys life at the track? Isn't it possible that the horse likes to run? Isn't is possible he could be shipped off to stand in Salzman's field in Carroll County (note - it's spelled with 2 LL's, not one) and hate every minute of it?

Now, before I draw the ire and vitriol of some of you, make sure you understand my point is that NONE of us knows what is BEST for the horse. I'm not a big fan of Cole's as I think he's the second coming of Mike Gill and doesn't do much for the sport except take up stall space. But I'll defend his right to choose what he thinks is best for the horse as long as he is the owner. And if you want to affect the future life of the horse, save your money and go claim him when/if he races again. It's just that simple.

Rest assured, he's getting quality feed, quality bedding, quality vet care, etc in Lake's barn. The horse is being well taken care of. If he could only breathe like he used to.......

Cajungator26
03-13-2007, 11:29 AM

None of us know what is best for this horse, including me. It's a nice thought to envision him standing in a field full of daisies somewhere and all he has to do is eat. But, that might not be what is "best" for the horse. Isn't it possible that the horse simply enjoys life at the track? Isn't it possible that the horse likes to run? Isn't is possible he could be shipped off to stand in Salzman's field in Carroll County (note - it's spelled with 2 LL's, not one) and hate every minute of it?

Now, before I draw the ire and vitriol of some of you, make sure you understand my point is that NONE of us knows what is BEST for the horse. I'm not a big fan of Cole's as I think he's the second coming of Mike Gill and doesn't do much for the sport except take up stall space. But I'll defend his right to choose what he thinks is best for the horse as long as he is the owner. And if you want to affect the future life of the horse, save your money and go claim him when/if he races again. It's just that simple.

Rest assured, he's getting quality feed, quality bedding, quality vet care, etc in Lake's barn. The horse is being well taken care of. If he could only breathe like he used to.......

He's a gelding. LOL

paisjpq
03-13-2007, 11:34 AM
i've heard the argument a lot that horses just like to run and so they should keep racing. Sorry but it doesn't work for me. I agree that horses like to have a job to do but there comes a time when the body doesn't have what it takes to withstand the rigors of racing and be successful...IMO while I may not know better than Cole what is best for his back account I think i do know what would be better for his horse.
The horse certainly could be a very happy animal doing another (less stressful or demanding job). I am not a proponant of just retiring him to let him stand in a field but if he can't find the winners circle at some of the lowest levels of racing don't you think that the time has come to find him a more suitable way to earn his living?

phystech
03-13-2007, 11:54 AM
If he were my horse, I'd have him "standing" in a field - or I guess he could lay down in the field too, if he wanted.

But he's not my horse and I'll let his owner decide what he feels is best. If I felt that strongly about the issue, I'd go and claim him since I'm licensed in both WV and MD. But I don't, so I won't.....

PPerfectfan
03-13-2007, 11:56 AM
There are plenty of "jobs" he could do. Hell, they could make a pony horse out of him if he loves the track so much. It worked for Kona Gold, 'cept he likes to get loose and out run the yound wipper snappers on the track sometime, just to let them know he still has it!

Cajungator26
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
If he were my horse, I'd have him "standing" in a field - or I guess he could lay down in the field too, if he wanted.

But he's not my horse and I'll let his owner decide what he feels is best. If I felt that strongly about the issue, I'd go and claim him since I'm licensed in both WV and MD. But I don't, so I won't.....

Sorry... read that wrong originally.

LARHAGE
03-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Oh there's no question the absolute best thing for this horse, or any horse, is not racing, the issue is if THIS particular horse has done enough to deserve the life of riley so to speak, and the overwhelming conclusion on this board is that he has. I love racing and understand the risk versus rewards of racing, but to deny the inherent dangers to the horse's participating is clearly putting your head in the sand, add an older warrior like Shake you Down with a lot of wear and tear and the risks are that much greater. Than there's the issue of degrading the old boy by throwing him in a low level claimer, no doubt just to cash in, thats the gratitude for earning you over a million dollars, far more than enough to ensure a nice dignified retirement. If he truly loves being around the track than they could use him as a pony while maintaining his dignity and protecting him from harm.

phystech
03-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I love racing and understand the risk versus rewards of racing, but to deny the inherent dangers to the horse's participating is clearly putting your head in the sand,

Please show me where I've "clearly put my head in the sand"? I am fully aware of the dangers of racing.

add an older warrior like Shake you Down with a lot of wear and tear and the risks are that much greater.

And there's a good point we can debate until we're blue in the face and neither of us would be right or wrong. My stance there is an old warrior like SYD is more apt to protect himself from severe injury as compared to a fresh, lightly raced horse that only knows to go out there and run his/her eyeballs out. I believe the newer horse is more apt to suffer a career ending injury than an old grizzled vet like SYD.

If he truly loves being around the track than they could use him as a pony while maintaining his dignity and protecting him from harm.

I couldn't agree with you more on that point. But, it's up to his owner, not us, to make that decision.

letswastemoney
03-13-2007, 02:44 PM
While I do agree it's sad to see a G1 winner sink to this level......

I don't get why no one cares about how degrading it is for regular low level claimers to race at those prices for their whole careers. I know Shake You Down accomplished more than the other claimers but.....they are all horses. If you think Shake You Down should be done, then so should thousands of claimers across the country.

paisjpq
03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
While I do agree it's sad to see a G1 winner sink to this level......

I don't get why no one cares about how degrading it is for regular low level claimers to race at those prices for their whole careers. I know Shake You Down accomplished more than the other claimers but.....they are all horses. If you think Shake You Down should be done, then so should thousands of claimers across the country.
actually I do ...but that's another argument for another day.

TheSpyder
03-13-2007, 05:23 PM
OK, we all have opinions but here's mine. Get rid of cars and we all go back to riding horses. Saves gas and I'll trade my car for SYD. I mean why go through the trouble of making gas from corn, wheat, etc. when you can cut the food chain down to feed horse....ride. That way all these horses we're whining about can be used and enjoyed.

I can see pulling up to a restaurant and seeing The Green Monkey valet parked while the low level claimers would be left in the back row.

Yea, I'm crazy!

Spyder from SC

Who Doctor Who
03-13-2007, 05:50 PM
When this chain started, SYD was suppose to run in a 7k claimer at Charlestown I believe. I know he was scratched that night, did they run him back soon after? Has he run recently?

Danzig
03-13-2007, 06:10 PM
i read that with anticipation is now ridden to the hounds, he's a fox hunter (the fox is NOT killed, they just chase him to his hole according to the article). kelso was another who did the same thing.
no doubt someone would be proud to have shake you down-whether a casual rider, or even a police mount-there are former racers who have gone on the force.
i just think it's a shame to see him where he is, with that guy as his owner.

Uncle Daddy
03-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Buy him and old Spooky Mulder and give them a fitting retirement

shame we don't have money left over, we could buy this guy and retire him.

POINTGIVEN1985
03-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Spooky Mulder can definitly still run, i cashed on him multiple times last year, on bets ranging from win place, exactas, singled in pick 4's and 6's, i think this old guy has at least another year in him

Echo Farm
03-16-2007, 03:58 PM
When this chain started, SYD was suppose to run in a 7k claimer at Charlestown I believe. I know he was scratched that night, did they run him back soon after? Has he run recently?

He last raced January 18, (I have his DRF PPs thru a March 3 workout at Laurel Park.

He has been entered at least 3 times since. One race didn't happen due to weather (and possibly a scratch too) the other times he was scratched. Scratches due to the shipping ban from MD, I believe.

The last 3 times he was entered tag was for $7500 2/15, $10,000 2/25 & $7500 3/15.

I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot...................

paisjpq
03-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Spooky Mulder can definitly still run, i cashed on him multiple times last year, on bets ranging from win place, exactas, singled in pick 4's and 6's, i think this old guy has at least another year in him

I agree with this...Spooky is still in the game...SYD...well, he just isn't.

paisjpq
03-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot...................

Me Too:D :D

my miss storm cat
03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Hate to post rumors but this is a positive one.....

Word is he's retired. Hope it's true, poor thing.....

Echo Farm
03-23-2007, 05:21 AM
Look in Thoroughbred Times for it soon.
It is reportedly in the email version, Retired to a prison program near Ocala.

philcski
03-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Look in Thoroughbred Times for it soon.
It is reportedly in the email version, Retired to a prison program near Ocala.

What in the hell is a prison program?

Buffymommy
03-23-2007, 08:14 AM
What in the hell is a prison program?

I believe it is where the prisoners learn to take care of horses to help rehabilitate them (the prisoners not the horses).

philcski
03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
I believe it is where the prisoners learn to take care of horses to help rehabilitate them (the prisoners not the horses).

Ok, thanks. That doesn't sound as bad as I originally thought. Sort of a "public service" role...

Bigsmc
03-23-2007, 08:22 AM

They have similar programs with retired greyhounds.

Buffymommy
03-23-2007, 08:26 AM
OHHH in Ocala though? I wonder if they would let me visit him when I go up there?

Cajungator26
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
OHHH in Ocala though? I wonder if they would let me visit him when I go up there?

Same thing I was thinking, but I doubt it.

Those kind of programs are normally really good for the prisoners and the horses. I'm assuming he's a friendly horse because they don't typically let people inexperienced with horses handle horses that are unruly.

Bigsmc
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM

The one I heard about is at a prison in Michigan. They actually ship greyhounds from FL to this prison, usually the dogs that aren't as well behaved and aren't ready for adoption. The prisoners train the dogs and I guess the dogs train the prisoners. When the dogs come back, they are ready for adoption.

Sorry Buffy, I just realized you were talking about SYD.

saucon17
03-23-2007, 08:52 AM
If SYD goes to the Ocala prison program for the TRF it is associated with a
women's prison in Fla. So you ladies go out break the law so you can enroll
in this prison program so you can see him. :D :D

http://www.trfinc.org/farms/farms.php?id=9

Echo Farm
03-23-2007, 09:01 AM
TRF
http://www.trfinc.org/about_trf.php

2 links about the Ocala Facility
http://www.trfinc.org/farms/farms.php?id=2

http://dc.state.fl.us/pub/compass/0103/page07.html

A good program.

Echo Farm
03-23-2007, 09:37 AM
I found a link on line to the story.

LINK (http://img11.imagepile.net/img11/56628syd.jpg)

saucon17
03-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I found a link on line to the story.

LINK (http://img11.imagepile.net/img11/56628syd.jpg)

Thanks Echo. I like the one paragraph about the intense debating
on the bulletin board about his retirement. Finally some real good
news about SYD. Maybe it was our constant forum postings that
got this done, you never know. Maybe us on DT can sponsor him as
a whole. I think it will be great

Echo Farm
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks Echo. I like the one paragraph about the intense debating
on the bulletin board about his retirement. Finally some real good
news about SYD. Maybe it was our constant forum postings that
got this done, you never know. Maybe us on DT can sponsor him as
a whole. I think it will be great

Might be appropriate, Degenerate Gamblers supporting a horse at a Correctional Facility!!

Debating, I'm surprised they didn't say "bickering". I scan several forums every day, and wouldn't blame them if they did.

Bystander
03-23-2007, 10:04 AM
I sponsor a couple of horses through TRF, and I visited one of them at the Blackburn correctional facility in Lexington a couple of years ago. Can definitely be done.

Buffymommy
03-23-2007, 10:28 AM
I will have to have my mom look into it. If it is the facility I am thinking of, it is right near her house.

Are we all happy now that this guy is going to go to a great new home?

philcski
03-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I will have to have my mom look into it. If it is the facility I am thinking of, it is right near her house.

Are we all happy now that this guy is going to go to a great new home?

EXTREMELY... relieved if nothing else.

There's one person on here that doesn't exactly heap praise on horses unless he truly thinks they're special that called him "America's best sprinter" in 2003 when discussing the Vanderbilt at Saratoga. That says enough.

Echo Farm
03-23-2007, 05:58 PM
new link to online story

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2007/March/23/Shake-You-Down-retired-sent-to-Florida-correctional-facility.aspx

Samm
03-28-2007, 10:43 AM
http://img11.imagepile.net/img11/56628syd.jpg

went to a correctional facility in marion county florida....

Cajungator26
03-28-2007, 10:46 AM
http://img11.imagepile.net/img11/56628syd.jpg

went to a correctional facility in marion county florida....

Yeah, it was posted. I'm so glad that he finally gets to rest. It was pretty evident that the horse was done with racing. I hope he has a good time just being a horse. :)

Coach Pants
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Well this should be an easy transition for him. :D

PPerfectfan
03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Well I had not seen it, so I am very happy. Have fun SYD!

Seattleallstar
03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I hope SYD doesnt drop the soap in there..lol:p

deltagulf
03-29-2007, 04:26 PM

cole and lake are jerks:mad:

saucon17
04-11-2007, 08:22 PM
FYI

Here is SHAKE YOU DOWN's sponsor page.

http://www.trfinc.org/sponsor/avail.php?id=12

I'm going to sponsor him with half of my winnings
on Tiago in the SA Derby.

philcski
04-11-2007, 08:42 PM
FYI

Here is SHAKE YOU DOWN's sponsor page.

http://www.trfinc.org/sponsor/avail.php?id=12

I'm going to sponsor him with half of my winnings
on Tiago in the SA Derby.

Way to go Saucon. I'll follow your lead and pledge 1/2 my Derby winnings (if there is any :o )

Sightseek
04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but shouldn't Cole be sponsoring SYD for putting him in the limelight? :confused: I fully believe in sponsoring horses, but he milked every start out of him that he could and now they have to ask for help from other people?

Scav
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Once one of the top sprinters in the country, Shake You Down finished third in the 2003 Breeders' Cup Sprint and won six stakes races, including the Smile Sprint Handicap and the True North. With age and with the typical aches and pains that often come from a long career, he started to slow down and was racing in $14,000 claimers in early 2007 at Laurel. To their credit, owner Robert Cole and trainer Scott Lake did not want to take any risks with a horse who had been so good to them, so they retired Shake You Down when he was still sound and healthy and donated him to the TRF. A grand-looking chestnut, he exudes class, says TRF farm manager John Evans.

This was from his page...

Cajungator26
04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
This was from his page...

I saw that too... what a crock.

saucon17
04-11-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm just happy he is there and there is no way Lake/Cole
can break him down now.

Sightseek
04-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm just happy he is there and there is no way Lake/Cole
can break him down now.

I really think it is wonderful that you gave of your own money for SYD...I just wish they would have after all SYD gave to them, but like you said, more importantly he can live happily in green pastures.