PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro Euthanized

Thoroughbred Fan
01-29-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/

RIP

PaulRyansew
01-29-2007, 11:23 AM
http://thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2007/January/29/Kentucky-Derby-winner-Barbaro-euthanized.aspx

I thought this deserved its own thread, since people may not think to look under the regular Barbaro thread.

My deepest condolences go out to the Jacksons, Matz, Prado, and everyone else who loved this courageous animal.

Coach Pants
01-29-2007, 11:23 AM
R.I.P.

You were brilliant the brief time you were on this planet. Tough, tough loss.

randallscott35
01-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Had to be done. Finally the best interests of the horse won out....Extremely sad anytime you lose a horse to racing, whether a 5claimer or a champion.

Cajungator26
01-29-2007, 11:29 AM
RIP sweet boy... :(

I'm glad that the suffering is over for him.

slotdirt
01-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Think this should be time to remember a fantastic animal and not espouse our personal beliefs on what may or may not have been best for Barbaro since May 20th.

What a terrific champion and talented horse. His story certainly was inspirational.

alysheba4
01-29-2007, 11:31 AM
talk about a true champion........ this horse had HEART, speed plus stamina....dirt or turf. thanks for the great memories champ.

Buffymommy
01-29-2007, 11:34 AM
RIP boy. RIP. Challenge some of the greats up there to a match race. I bet you would do well.

RIP. Condolances to everyone involved with this wonderful horse.

zippyneedsawin
01-29-2007, 11:35 AM
he fought like a true champion.. RIP.

miles2135
01-29-2007, 11:35 AM
watching that derby performance gives me chills everytime...its a shame this had to happen....great horse rip

somerfrost
01-29-2007, 11:38 AM
watching that derby performance gives me chills everytime...its a shame this had to happen....great horse rip

RIP...what a sad, sad day! Words are simply inadequate...!

saucon17
01-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks to Matz, The Jackson's, Dr. Richardson and to the New Bolton
Center for every thing you have done to try save Barbaro so he could
have a better life. Thanks for the memories and the great thrills you gave everyone.

RIP BARBARO

Mike

smuthg
01-29-2007, 11:43 AM
What a loss... I'm just sick.

RIP big fella...

declansharbor
01-29-2007, 11:43 AM
He would have carved up any race that he ran in this year...A true champion put to the test...Belongs now to the gig in the sky, RIP BARBARo...Thank you for the great memories

Coach Pants
01-29-2007, 11:46 AM
http://graphics.boston.com:80/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/05/06/1146956183_0606.jpg

ceejay
01-29-2007, 11:48 AM
:(

dellinger63
01-29-2007, 11:50 AM
This is why I sometimes hate racing. Just hope there wasn't a lot of suffering during the attempted recovery but I know there was.

Bernardini
01-29-2007, 11:50 AM
I’m not sure if it was cruel to prolong the inevitable, given the magnitude of the injury or no stone un turn trying to save a champion. Either way, we lost a great race horse!!!

Bernardini
01-29-2007, 11:51 AM
RIP

GenuineRisk
01-29-2007, 11:54 AM
For those of you gnashing your teeth in frustration because the $!@#! Thoroughbred Times webpage won't come up right now, it's currently on the front page of the NYTimes, with a link to article (and a beautiful photo of him winning the Kentucky Derby)- nytimes.com.

Danzig
01-29-2007, 11:56 AM
tony called and told me. we all knew it was coming, altho we all hoped....he showed bravery and courage, it's a shame that alone wasn't enough.

my condolences to those who loved him, the jacksons, michael matz and family, everyone involved with this horse through his all too brief life. he touched a lot of people....

he did not go gentle into that good night.. rip barbaro.

Buffymommy
01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
ntra.com has a spot where you can send a message those involved with the horse. In case anyone else wants to send them a few words.

Seattleallstar
01-29-2007, 12:01 PM
You fought the fight boy! now your with God.

RIP boy, thanks for the memories

somerfrost
01-29-2007, 12:03 PM
tony called and told me. we all knew it was coming, altho we all hoped....he showed bravery and courage, it's a shame that alone wasn't enough.

my condolences to those who loved him, the jacksons, michael matz and family, everyone involved with this horse through his all too brief life. he touched a lot of people....

he did not go gentle into that good night.. rip barbaro.

That's an excellent quote...Thomas said it well, "Do not go gentle into that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light" Now indeed is the time for our tears!

philcski
01-29-2007, 12:04 PM
RIP boy, I loved you and you tried your best to make it. :(

Buffymommy
01-29-2007, 12:04 PM
That's an excellent quote...Thomas said it well, "Do not go gentle into that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light" Now indeed is the time for our tears!

Hard to let them flow as I sit at my desk at work. I do want to leave right now and go throw my arms around Buck's neck and cry.

slotdirt
01-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I was just thinking about seeing Barbaro in person absolutely ROMP at the Laurel Futurity in November 2005 on the DeFrancis undercard. You just knew he'd be a special horse.

MLC
01-29-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm at work and it really is difficult to not cry. What a special horse he was.

Coach Pants
01-29-2007, 12:10 PM
the ban hooves thread is keeping me from crying.

smartyalex
01-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Rest in Peace, Big Guy. You did Great this while you were here.

somerfrost
01-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I thought I had prepared myself for this, but am still shocked... :(

I know...after years in horse rescue, I've see a lot of terrible things and I knew this was a longshot but still it shocks me! You really can't prepare for the death of a loved one...be it human or other...the pain comes...and it should! May I never get so callous or jaded that something like this doesn't effect me! I'm sitting here looking out the window at Cal grazing in the field...think I'll go out and spend some time with him now...

vgyweir
01-29-2007, 12:21 PM
what a sad day, he was a true champion. :(

knickslions2
01-29-2007, 12:26 PM
RIP...A true champion!

Danzig
01-29-2007, 12:28 PM
I thought I had prepared myself for this, but am still shocked... :(

you can reason with yourself all day....but you can never really be prepared. it's a sad day. he was such a beautiful horse, and was one of a kind.

litlady02
01-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Like so many others, I am truly saddened to hear that Barbaro has lost his hard-fought battle for survival. My consolation is that his suffering is over now. It sounds like this was the only decision his team had left.

intense
01-29-2007, 12:30 PM
RIP Barbaro, he gave everything he had on and off the track. I'll miss you buddy.

IrishofNDMan
01-29-2007, 12:30 PM
RIP Barbaro, I just hope this years Kentucky Derby gives us a Champion even 1/3 of what Barbaro was.

Danzig
01-29-2007, 12:31 PM

thanks somer. i originally put that he fought the good fight...but as soon as i sent i remembered the other--he truly did rage against the dying.

i gotta go. i'm at work, and trying to keep together....it's hard. we all know the odds. the triumph of hope over experience.

so sorry for the jacksons--much as we all feel it, just think how distraught they must be. and dr richardson as well. he'll tear himself up re-thinking this.

smuthg
01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
has there been any word on a news conference?

PaulRyansew
01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
so sorry for the jacksons--much as we all feel it, just think how distraught they must be. and dr richardson as well. he'll tear himself up re-thinking this.I was just thinking the same thing... as sad as we all are, I can't even begin to imagine how they must feel, especially Dr. Richardson who spent everyday with this horse and tried so hard to save him.

Buffymommy
01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
I wonder if Dr. Richardson will hold the press conference. Would the Jacksons even be up to talking?

Left Bank
01-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I can't believe he made it this long.This is real saddening,yet relief to know it is over for him.A positive way to look at this is that the Vets got to try some new procedures and treatments and gained a ton of experience with this, so future horses will benefit from Barbaro.Rest well buddy,and let me know if you beat Secretariat!!

Habersham000
01-29-2007, 12:43 PM
One of the best recent horses to grace the track.....RIP big guy

Thunder Gulch
01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
I really hope that Dr. Richardson or anyone else second guesses their efforts. More than once they overcame incredible odds just to keep hope alive, but the time came to stop the suffering.

Dunbar
01-29-2007, 12:47 PM
this thread, for the most part, is why it's a pleasure to be at Derby Trail.

Great try, Barbaro. And a big thank you to the Jacksons, Richardson, and everyone who tried to save this horse.

--Dunbar

vgyweir
01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Yahoo front page has 30 pictures of the champ.

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
sorry to hear this..great horse in his own right ..derby champ..and a tough way to get the noterity he would have had if he was not injured..rip

Downthestretch55
01-29-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm so saddened to hear this. Condolences to all that loved him.
And thanks to the One that allowed you to be loaned to us for such a brief time. Your spirit held so much good for all of us to see.
Now that you're in the big pasture, healed and whole on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, I'm sure many will meet up with you someday.
Thanks for the ride!
Rest in peace Barbaro, you gave much more than you took.

LARHAGE
01-29-2007, 01:02 PM
thanks somer. i originally put that he fought the good fight...but as soon as i sent i remembered the other--he truly did rage against the dying.

i gotta go. i'm at work, and trying to keep together....it's hard. we all know the odds. the triumph of hope over experience.

so sorry for the jacksons--much as we all feel it, just think how distraught they must be. and dr richardson as well. he'll tear himself up re-thinking this.

This is so true, I think it should be mentioned that Barbaro did not die in vain. His heroics off the track are going to be integral in saving future horses, that he lived 8 months with his injuries is testament to his heart, and now the learning experience of treating him will be applied to future horses. I know the hell of laminitis personally and loved Barbaro even more for his fight and will to live, and I'm also ready to accept his passing, he deserves the peace now. RIP Barbaro. :(

jp96stang
01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
RIP Barbaro. You have touched many.

IrishofNDMan
01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
I want to hear what Edgar Prado has to say about Barbaro. you know how much this crushes us, think about what it does to him. I just watched the Kentucky Derby again, and man was that a powerful performance!

zippyneedsawin
01-29-2007, 01:13 PM

scheduled for 4pm

Bold Reasoning
01-29-2007, 01:14 PM
This is beyond words. It is just so sad. RIP beautiful one.

ManilaRose
01-29-2007, 01:15 PM
RIP- Don't just weep because he's gone, make time to smile because he was here.

I'm sure like me many of you have already seen these tribute videos. Just thought I would post a few for everyone. There are many others on youtube, these a re just a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CCXoyBFg9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgf-ocQFbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7b9SiWRXSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21-npKFPmJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0zP1Ap9CSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibf8QDkvGkw

Danzig
01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
This is so true, I think it should be mentioned that Barbaro did not die in vain. His heroics off the track are going to be integral in saving future horses, that he lived 8 months with his injuries is testament to his heart, and now the learning experience of treating him will be applied to future horses. I know the hell of laminitis personally and loved Barbaro even more for his fight and will to live, and I'm also ready to accept his passing, he deserves the peace now. RIP Barbaro. :(

i know some took it amiss the other day--thought it was suggested that barbaro was some kind of guinea pig--that wasn't the case. everything they did, they did to save him--and everything they learned is something that will save another horse. ruffian was no guinea pig, but they learned much from her and others that came before--the recovery pool immediately comes to my mind.

and this from steve haskin, who shows once again why he writes-and why bloodhorse has him:

http://news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=37320

Thoroughbred Fan
01-29-2007, 01:38 PM

The press conference will be held at 4 pm this afternoon at New Bolton.

-TF

kentuckyrosesinmay
01-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Rip boy.

We lost a great champion today. Sad, sad day for racing.:(

DON'T CRY FOR THE HORSES

Don't cry for the horses
That life has set free
A million white horses
Forever to be
Don't cry for the horses
Now in God's hands
As they dance and they prance
To a heavenly band
They were ours to borrow
But never to keep
As they close their eyes
Forever to sleep
Their spirits unbound
On silver wings they fly
A million white horses
Against a blue sky
Look up into heaven
You'll see them above
The horses we lost
The horses we loved
Manes and tails flying
They gallop through time
They were never yours
They were never mine
Don't cry for the horses
They will be back some day
When our time has come
They will show us the way
Do you hear that soft nicker
Close to your ear
Don't cry for the horses
Love the ones that are here
By Brenda Riley Seymore

SOMEWHERE

Somewhere, somewhere, in God's own space, there must be some sweet, pastured place

Where creeks sing on, and tall trees grow; some paradise where horses go.

For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again

txshorns02
01-29-2007, 01:45 PM
that is some sad new and when i went to look at the post there were 666 views :eek:

Cajungator26
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
This is one I posted in the other thread, but it belongs here too:

The Grandest Foal

I'll lend you for a little while,
My grandest foal, God said.
For you to love while he's alive,
And mourn for when he's dead.
It may be one or twenty years,
Or days or months, you see.
But will you, til I take him back,
Take care of him for me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you
And should his stay be brief,
You'll have those treasured memories,
As solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay,
Since all from earth return.
But there are lessons taught on earth
I want this foal to learn.
I've looked the wide world over
In my search for teachers true.
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes,
With trust, I have selected you.
Now will you give him all your love?
Nor think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come
To take him back again?
I know you'll give him tenderness
And love will bloom each day.
And for the happiness you've known,
You will forever-grateful stay.
But should I come and call for him
Much sooner than you'd planned.
You'll brave the bitter grief that comes,
And maybe understand.

Author Unknown

brianwspencer
01-29-2007, 02:12 PM
That was the worst text message to get off of a plane and read today when I get home.

I liked it better when I didn't know.

2MinsToPost
01-29-2007, 02:14 PM
caught espn when they were showing Barbaro winning the Derby, then the fatefull Preakness, and for the first time in a long time, I cried a little. Gallant effort, a fighter, rest in peace cause you will always be remembered for putting up the good fight.

Thoughts go out to all the connections, especially Dr Dean Richardson. A hero in my eyes.

Cajungator26
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
That was the worst text message to get off of a plane and read today when I get home.

I liked it better when I didn't know.

Sorry... I have been sad all day too. :(

Byebyemermaid
01-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Like all true champions he fought the battles.Unfortunately sometimes we can't win the war.With only 6 starts,and on turf and dirt his true greatness might never be able to be measured.If anything maybe this has brought more humanity into a game where it has been lacking.RIP Barbaro and thank you.

PeteMugg
01-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Rest In Peace, Champ.

Coach Pants
01-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Live video of press conference

http://www.wnbc.com/videostream/6371537/detail.html

Thoroughbred Fan
01-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Live video of press conference

http://www.wnbc.com/videostream/6371537/detail.html

Thanks

Hickory Hill Hoff
01-29-2007, 03:15 PM
The bravest of the brave...Rest in Peace my friend

pmayjr
01-29-2007, 03:16 PM
R.I.P.- You were a freak, a gamer, and a monster all in one! You will be missed

SteelKrtan
01-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Watched his race for the first time a couple of days ago.Definately one of the few freaks that we are fortunate to see now & then RIP

ninetoone
01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the memories...RIP big fella :(

packerbacker7964
01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Cried? Anyway I knew all along that he more than likely wasn't going to make it. He tried till the end just like he did on the track. R.I.P. Big Fellow.

Danzig
01-29-2007, 03:37 PM
i was good til i watched the press conference.

disappearingdan_akaplaya
01-29-2007, 03:47 PM
my condolences to every1 involved with the horse on and off the racetrack, A huge LOSS......RIP:(

Nascar1966
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
As much as we all hate to say it, at least they did what was best for the great champion that he proved to be both on and off the race track. It will be years from now before we ever see another fighter like that, hopefully we wont see it. But this shows how fragile these marvelous animals can. Im sure for the Jacksons it was like thier pet dog. im sure him, Secretariat And Seattle Slew among others will be exchanging some great racing stories in horsey heaven.

pgardn
01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Our wonderful sports station here in San Antonio has two clowns on, one of which made fun of Barbaro dying, glue and axe comments. This is where I really feel out of touch with the sports community.

Just trying to pi ss off people who dont find the situation humorous. Does this really get more listeners? They got the phones lit up with one person calling saying they are obnoxious idiots, and the next caller making glue jokes. Why is that people find so much pleasure in teasing people about animals dying. I dont get it.

paisjpq
01-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm glad that Barbaro is at peace and the owners and connections can take comfort in knowing that they made right decision to end this horse's struggle.
His legacy both on the track and through the advances made in veterinary surgery ensures that he will never be forgotten.

brockguy
01-29-2007, 05:16 PM
It's such a shame that he has passed away, but as people have mentioned, hopefully, the vets responsible have learned a lot during the process to help out other unfortunate horses..

GenuineRisk
01-29-2007, 05:36 PM
The NYTimes article on him. I thought it was lovely:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/29/sports/29cnd-barbaro.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

eajinabi
01-29-2007, 05:51 PM
The saddest part is that we did not see the best of him. He was a monster in the making. What a tragic loss!

Afleet Alex
01-29-2007, 05:54 PM
RIP

Here's another youtube tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbKfx2_pmCQ

Hickory Hill Hoff
01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I heard the news shortly after the noon hour about Barbaro today, it wasn't until I got home from work and saw all the stories about our fallen hero and it was finally sinking in. Then I was listening to ATRAB and heard Johnny D. making the comparison of Barbaro's death and saying goodbye to a family pet. That's when I lost it...shortly before this year's Derby, my cat of nearly 12 years got sick quickly and within three weeks had past away. She never acted like she was in pain and went peacefully. Her friend; my dog Kasi who is the same age, suffered a hind injury just a month after Jasmine died. She's been doing well since then, but hobbled in the house yesterday afternoon after I put her out, she seem to be walking better later in evening.
Then today, we learn of Barbaro's death. After eight months, he looked liked he would make it though. It's tough to say goodbye, sometimes tougher with animals than humans. They give us unconditional love and need us to take care of them. Barbaro gave it his all...right to the end. He's finally pain-free, but him being gone is tougher on us. Remember all the pleasure he gave us...that we'll never forget. My dad sent me an e-mail when he learned about Barbaro's death. It was short and to the point...BARBARO "The Bravest of the Brave" 2003-2007. I guess this sum it up.

PSH
01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Guess i knew this day was coming and after this weekend not surprised that it was today. Still, a very sad day and i am still not over the Phipps filly and her death at the Breeders Cup....

RIP Barbaro.

sumitas
01-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Barbaro... i am saddened by this day. RIP...I'd like to thank all who stood by Barbaro through all his ups and downs. I'm sure it all helped him want to go on.

Suffolk Shippers
01-29-2007, 07:05 PM
A tough day for sure, millions of fans feel like they have had a kid brother or the like taken away from them. Myself included. I was there in Baltimore and just as a person, you wanted to hug someone near you, or cheer up the crying youngster who was horrified...but you couldn't, you were paralyzed at the amazing and terribly unfortunate scene unfolding.

But, those millions who feel like they have lost something today, is the primary reason that Barbaro should be forever celebrated. He gave people something real. Something tangible. Something you cannot really thank someone for. He gave them hope.

There are so many people in this world who need something to latch on to, for whatever reason. Whether they be down on luck, down on themselves, or lonely, everybody needs something. For many, Barbaro was that something.

Lots of people loved him for his amazing talent and majestic stride which carried him to an undefeated record. Many others loved him for his dogged determination, big heart and strength of conviction to keep fighting every day until now. He will live on in this age of war, crocked polticians, greedy CEO's, and drug enhanced athletes, as an untarnished image of all that is good in the world. He betrayed no one, only to be betrayed by his own body.
For that, he is a cut above most in tangible aspects and a few cuts above most in the eyes of an adoring public, who cherished him so much.

We all sometimes strive to be something we are not. We want to be that athlete who kicks the field goal to win the Super Bowl, scores the winning basket, or hits the home run to clinch a series. It's most people's true fantasy world. In Barbaro, we could live vicariously through him. He, seemingly, had no equal. His breath taking performance in what was seen as a deep Kentucky Derby provides testament to such. We also hope to have the strength to be able to meet what some feel is an insurmountable challenge. Though we hope we NEVER face it, we want to feel we can stare it down. Barbaro gave us this hope as well. Much like a field in the Derby, he stared down death for eight months. He gave those who needed hope the will to fight their own personal fight. However trivial or serious those personal fights are or were, the fact that many drew strength from the fight and inspiration from Barbaro cannot be ignored. We should all look to live our life in a way that someday a complete stranger or long time friend comes up and says "you gave me hope" or "you're inspiration helped me get past that tough time".

It shouldn't end there, however. Barbaro may have lost his battle, but in his silent fight and silent suffering, he planted the seed in so many that just because it looks bleak or someone tells you 'no', it is not over. You find a way, you look forward and battle to the next day. I hope everyone touched by this great animal remembers that when they face a tough situation, it might be the only fitting tribute we can give an animal that meant so much to so many. I know I will.

PaulRyansew
01-29-2007, 07:10 PM
A tough day for sure, millions of fans feel like they have had a kid brother or the like taken away from them. Myself included. I was there in Baltimore and just as a person, you wanted to hug someone near you, or cheer up the crying youngster who was horrified...but you couldn't, you were paralyzed at the amazing and terribly unfortunate scene unfolding.

But, those millions who feel like they have lost something today, is the primary reason that Barbaro should be forever celebrated. He gave people something real. Something tangible. Something you cannot really thank someone for. He gave them hope.

There are so many people in this world who need something to latch on to, for whatever reason. Whether they be down on luck, down on themselves, or lonely, everybody needs something. For many, Barbaro was that something.

Lots of people loved him for his amazing talent and majestic stride which carried him to an undefeated record. Many others loved him for his dogged determination, big heart and strength of conviction to keep fighting every day until now. He will live on in this age of war, crocked polticians, greedy CEO's, and drug enhanced athletes, as an untarnished image of all that is good in the world. He betrayed no one, only to be betrayed by his own body.
For that, he is a cut above most in tangible aspects and a few cuts above most in the eyes of an adoring public, who cherished him so much.

We all sometimes strive to be something we are not. We want to be that athlete who kicks the field goal to win the Super Bowl, scores the winning basket, or hits the home run to clinch a series. It's most people's true fantasy world. In Barbaro, we could live vicariously through him. He, seemingly, had no equal. His breath taking performance in what was seen as a deep Kentucky Derby provides testament to such. We also hope to have the strength to be able to meet what some feel is an insurmountable challenge. Though we hope we NEVER face it, we want to feel we can stare it down. Barbaro gave us this hope as well. Much like a field in the Derby, he stared down death for eight months. He gave those who needed hope the will to fight their own personal fight. However trivial or serious those personal fights are or were, the fact that many drew strength from the fight and inspiration from Barbaro cannot be ignored. We should all look to live our life in a way that someday a complete stranger or long time friend comes up and says "you gave me hope" or "you're inspiration helped me get past that tough time".

It shouldn't end there, however. Barbaro may have lost his battle, but in his silent fight and silent suffering, he planted the seed in so many that just because it looks bleak or someone tells you 'no', it is not over. You find a way, you look forward and battle to the next day. I hope everyone touched by this great animal remembers that when they face a tough situation, it might be the only fitting tribute we can give an animal that meant so much to so many. I know I will.Suffolk Shippers, that was a lovely tribute to Barbaro. Thanks for sharing that.

Sightseek
01-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Think this should be time to remember a fantastic animal and not espouse our personal beliefs on what may or may not have been best for Barbaro since May 20th.

What a terrific champion and talented horse. His story certainly was inspirational.

Well said...good-bye Barbaro and run in peace.

Antitrust32
01-29-2007, 08:14 PM
My friends Wayne, Kasept and I put together a Barbaro Tribute today for the ATRAB show. After the tribute, you can hear a great hour from ATRAB with Steve Byk and JJ Graci. If you have windows media player go to :

http://stream.attheracesandbeyond.com/stream/12907a.mp3

If the link doesnt work go to the www.attheracesandbeyond.com website and find "Barbaro Tribute" under the 1-29-07 Archive in the Schedule
section (2007). Also, our dear friend BTW and Greg Gilchrest had a very good interview in the last hour of the show. If all else fails PM me and I'll email it to ya

Rest In Pease Barbaro

Uncle Daddy
01-29-2007, 08:45 PM
To see him in person at the Derby was a great memory. He impressed in the padock, on the track and in recovery. RIP

fj35632
01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
To me, Barbaro was unique in that he had a "fifth" gear that even most of the best thoroughbreds don't have. On ATRAB today, they played a medley of stretch calls from four or five of Barbaro's biggest victories. Just listening to the calls, you just had a sense that the horse had a "refuse to lose" mentality. No matter how hard he got pushed, Barbaro always found that fifth gear that was needed to beat his hard charging competitors. Challenged in the stretch in the Kentucky Derby, Barbaro poured it on in the last quarter and crushed the field by eight lengths.

It has been 29 years since Affirmed "refused to lose" to Alydar, winning the Triple Crown in the process. You just had the sense that Barbaro probably had the stuff to become the 12th Triple Crown champion. It's a shame that it all ended too soon.

He is at peace, and we are all thankful that we got to experience his brief display of greatness.

Samarta
01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Man oh man where to begin. Not sure what to say or how to say it. What a majestic animal he was. I've had the good fortune of being around some really nice horses, but it's hard to compare many to him. He was different. As a racehorse and as a patient. I realize things happen for a reason and it was the right thing to do, it doesn't make it any easier.

Thoughts go out to the connections. Dr. Richardson, The Jacksons, Michael Matz and Edgar Prado are truly class acts and never waivered during the last 8 months. They should all rest easy tonight, knowing the big boy is comfortable and doesn't have anything wrong anymore.

RIP Barbaro RIP

docvegas.
01-29-2007, 09:23 PM
will always be remembered as a true fighting champion. RIP......:(

pdrift1
01-29-2007, 09:27 PM
GOD BLESS YOU BARBARO !!!!!!!!!!!! you were a true champion in every sense of the the word. RIP. i will never forget you. in every horse that i watch run there will always be a peice of you in every one of them. derby and preakness day will feel a little diffeent for the next few years.while 'i'll be seeing one race in front of me another will be going thru my mind before ,during and after these races.as a family-a horse racing family on this board, which all of us are, we may not always agree or get along but we all lost a piece of us thru this horse. but we gain thru this as the passing of a human or animal how fragile we all are and how quickly things can change in our life and be loved ones either pets or humans can be taken from us or our own lives. we take to much for granted even tho we don't think we do because we are human and its our way of survival. just tell your loved ones you love them and and give your pets wether they be equine or other a big hug for i think thats what this is all about in the end.nothing to do with horse racing but PURE LOVE. barbaro to me will stand for me not so much anymore as the ky derby winner but something greater-love and patience and courage. love you champ and i'll miss you .

smuthg
01-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I have always been a Jay Cronley fan, but I think this is by far one of his better pieces... http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=cronley_jay&id=2747541

coltsfan
01-29-2007, 10:37 PM
I have always been a Jay Cronley fan, but I think this is by far one of his better pieces... http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=cronley_jay&id=2747541

Could not agree more. I read it earlier this evening. Great piece.

Also, to all of those who have shared their stories and thoughts on Barbaro, thanks for sharing. I've really enjoyed reading all of them.

RIP Barbaro

smartyalex
01-29-2007, 11:55 PM
http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=74507&subs=0&arc=1

my miss storm cat
01-30-2007, 12:27 AM
All cried out now...

Run in peace forever, Barbaro. We'll never forget you.

ShadowRoll
01-30-2007, 07:46 AM
So long, brave guy. I saw you win the roses and, in my mind, that's where you'll always be. If there's a horse heaven, there's a groom walking ahead of you right now, saying, "Make way -- big horse comin' through."

Withers
01-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks to the Jackson and to Dr. Richardson for doing everything they could and for not wavering under huge pressure they faced when staying with the fight or in abandoning it when the moment came...

RIP Barbaro, up you go to where you're sound once more and accompanied by the roses you've won, the cheers of 100,000 at Churchill, and the hearts of those who you inspired.

stevepopyak
01-30-2007, 09:44 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/6422988?MSNHPHMA

Holland Hacker
01-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Every once in a while a Horse comes along that transcends the sport into more. In 2006 we were blessed with such an animal, his name was Barbaro. On the first Saturday of May we all watched as Barabro was made the next “super horse.” In the eight months since then the world has fallen in love with Barbaro, but for different reasons. In winning the Derby Barbaro exhibited the traits of a dream Thoroughbred, Speed, Stamina, Courage. However, in the 8˝ months since then we found out what a true Champion Barbaro really was. While under the care of the New Bolton center, Barbaro displayed the characteristic of a super hero: intelligence, courage, strength, and HEART. It was these traits that made the World stop and take note.

I would like to thank the Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, Mr. Matz, Mr. Prado and Dr. Richardson as well as the staff at New Bolton for so deeply caring for Barbaro and seeing that he never suffered, even in his darkest time.

I will always remember Barbaro for what he was a . . . Champion . . .

GenuineRisk
01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/6422988?MSNHPHMA

Though I can understand if the Jacksons want to bury him at their farm, it would be nice if he were buried at the Derby museum so his fans could pay their respects over the years.

cal828
01-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks Barbaro for doing your job well. You made us, if only for a moment, forget the larger world of Darfur and Baghdad and OPEC and Al Qaida and shrinking resources and global warming and the smaller world of working for a buck and finger gestures on the freeway and offers of credit in the mail and the travails of being citizens and neighbors, parents, sons and daughters. In short, you made us forget about ourselves, but we will never forget you for your kind comes this way only once in a great while.

jman5581
01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
The Jacksons didn't have to be so open with us, we strangers; they didn't have to let us participate, for months, in an intensely personal portion of their lives. They didn't have to allow New Bolton to give us unprecedented access, to open themselves and their decisions to worldwide scrutiny. I imagine they did it for the love of Barbaro, and moreso of the sport, and I am ever grateful to them for allowing us to also intimately share Barbaro. They are sportsmen in the most generous and finest sense of the word.