PDA

View Full Version : News & Notes: 11/30

Kasept
12-07-2006, 03:11 AM
11/30/06: Server Improved; We Hit 600; Hooves Blows Up..

ARE WE BEING SERVED?: Our server, ("A Small Orange", Atlanta, GA), got back regarding the recent outages, and much of it may have been from the high traffic serverwide from "Cyber Monday", the online version of "Black Friday". As part of a shared server platform, we are a bit at the mercy of traffic to other sites we "share" the server with, and E-commerce portals got clobbered the past week as online Xmas shopping went into high gear. They couldn't explain the bizarre "Account Suspended" outage for 10 minutes the other day though, and are working on an explanation. Using a shared server is a tremendous bargain, and while getting on a dedicated server is an option should problems arise, the cost is 10X what we pay now... Overall, A Small Orange's service has been great, and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest using them to anyone thinking of mounting a site...

CHARGE OF THE DT BRIGADE: Wednesday marked the arrival of registered Derby Trailer #600 ("Echo Farm"), and I thank everybody for their ongoing contribution(s) to making the site and Forum fun and successful. The follow-up to the server issues embarassingly made me aware of a control panel that I had not yet explored, and it provided me with a ton of information about our cyber stats that I hadn't seen from a second CP.

In the first 6 months of the free-standing Derby Trail, 24,000 "unique visitors" have visited the site from 20 countries around the world. 4,000 interested parties are coming here a month. I take that as a great compliment to the quality of the conversation on the DT Forum as generated by the fans and industry types that spend a portion of their day here. We have owners, trainers, exersize riders, stable managers, breeders, racing media members, sales agents, backstretchers and trackgoers all mingling daily, and exchanging opinions on everything from Pick Sixes to Motion Pictures. The personal relationships being formed daily are particularly pleasing to me as host, and I look forward to more organized "on track" get-togethers for Derby Trailers in the coming year. If there's one thing I encourage everyone to do to support DT, it's to bring serious or casual racing friends to the site and get them to register and contribute...

IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN 'HOOVES': If the topics of conversation don't motivate lurkers to register, maybe a chance to thank Matt Dugger ("Hooves") personally for his work should... "The Kentucky Killing Machine", as recently as Sunday frustrated by an off day of selections on Churchill's meet-ender, delivered one of the year's top tabs Wednesday night in the Late P3 at Turfway. Matt-O, one of the most unique capper-players I've met, offered readers a shot at the $11,500 9th race trifecta simply by boxing his 2-3-7-14 selections. A $1 exacta box ($12) brought you back $483.40, while the $1 tri box ($24) returned $5,781.30, when insane overlay Monarch's Rule (15-1 ML) won at 43-1 ($88.00). Using his 4x4x4 P3 approach ($64) also scored out the $1,241.40 race trio mutuel...We know at least 2 readers were on the plays, 3 with Matt himself, and I'm sure there are others who took advantage who have yet to come forward. Hooves was the only player I know who grasped the nuances of playing the recent Keeneland meet, and continues to reward those who utilize his insights.

I can attest to how hard it is to cap cards daily and remain positive and confident when the horses "don't run for you", so I know I speak for everyone when I say that Matt's generous offerings are greatly appreciated. And he's not alone...

Harry ("HWJB") lays out successful International selections in his betting diary;

Kevin O'Bey ("GPK") has been hosting Mountaineer maraudings and Balmoral blastings, and will renew his Tampa terrorizations soon;

Gus Alonso ("Bogey"), who got me on ATRAB when he moved to Chicago, is constantly delivering P4 pot-snatchers and spot-on spot plays;

Mike Pawluck ("Oracle") regularly offers up invaluable insights, multi-race tickets and spot hits;

And "Bellsbendboy", an accomplished racetracker with years of experience, provides affordable plays with a serious perspective on how to approach P4's especially...

Plus Mermaid, DaHoss, Hoff..

I'm certainly forgetting others that have been reliable and profitable contributors to the Selections Room, but those above and experienced working industry professionals Cannon Shell, blackthroat, Rupert Pupkin, Honu, Linny and Paisjpq, all help make the atmosphere at Derby Trail what I'd like to think is the most unique Horse Racing-related community on the Web. And I thank everybody for what they "bring to the party"...

Steve

blackthroatedwind
12-10-2006, 08:41 PM
You wrote that at 4:11 am????

Can I suggest masterbation?

paisjpq
12-10-2006, 08:57 PM
You wrote that at 4:11 am????

Can I suggest masterbation?
you might be better off suggesting masturbation...;)

blackthroatedwind
12-11-2006, 09:59 AM
you might be better off suggesting masturbation...;)

Believe it or not, I thought I had the spelling wrong, but it wasn't in my dictionary.

Or else I'm going blind.

paisjpq
12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Believe it or not, I thought I had the spelling wrong, but it wasn't in my dictionary.

Or else I'm going blind.
guess now I know why you wear glasses:D

Kasept
12-18-2006, 07:16 PM
INTRODUCING "DEE TEE STABLES" RACING PARTNERSHIP: I'm pleased to announce that Derby Trail, at the suggestion of Hooves and in partnership with trainer Chuck Simon (Cannon Shell), is forming a racing partnership. Chuck, who runs his strings at Saratoga, Churchill, Turfway and Fairgrounds, is the perfect guy for all of us to get into a partnership with, given his long history of success.

His choice of racing venues will give Derby Trailers in nearly every part of the country the opportunity to come to the track and be part of the ownership experience; his ability to pick out sale or claiming horses offers us a way into the game at any level depending on the amount of Derby Trailers that get involoved; His record of success and integrity is unquestionable, and he's about as fun a guy to be around as there is in the game...

Details will be forthcoming, but the partnership will be a closed end style deal with shares offered in horses for a one-time, flat rate buy-in per horse, likely $500 per share, to cover the acquisition of the runners. Chuck will handle the training expenses and receive 50% of all purses as compensation for his costs.

This is a terrific way to get into horse ownership, and most importantly, should be a tremendous amount of fun for all of us. We aren't looking to win the Derby, but hope to simply have a great time and bring as many Derby Trailers into the game at a reasonable cost as possible. More information will follow, but we hope to have the initial share offering completed by January 15.

Look for a thread to be started in the Paddock, or a Room opened, to keep everyone informed about the development of Dee Tee Stables...

SERVER UPGRADE: The switch to a VPS (Virtual Personal Server) from the current "shared" server, is happening as we "speak". The move should take place in next 48-72 hours and will end the "site unavailable" problems that have been happening too frequently the last few weeks. The move to a VPS increases the cost of running the site by nearly $1,000/year, so I invite members to buy a Derby Trail hat to help me defray the cost.

DERBY TRAIL.COM SWAG: In addition to the popular DT cap, I am putting together the Derby Trail "store", as our embroiderer (Impressive Imprints, Glens Falls) has some really nice things to offer with the snappy logo (Sweatshirts, Jackets, Stadium Blankets, Briefcase; more..). Am going to introduce screen printed t-shirts as well...

ROOM CHANGES: We made a few changes the last day or so to the Forum rooms.

1.) OFF TOPIC-GENERAL & ESOTERIC CENTRAL: Given the vitriolic nature of certain topics, we've made the original "General" O/T Room into a Politics/Social Issue ONLY forum. All the threads about Film, Music, TV, etc.. are being moved to 'Esoteric Central'... Please start "fun" threads there and leave the incendiary stuff to the Politics/Society room. We do not want to censor anyone's social/political views, but will continue to remove or edit anything that is in our opinion is hateful, injurious, actionable or specifically directed with malice towards other community members. (And that policy applies Forum-wide).

2.) POLYTRACK ROOM SHUTTERED: Given that synthetic surface discussion has become less overwhelming and ridiculous, we closed the "PolyTrack" Room and put its' 31 threads back into the Paddock. Obviously, the artificial surfaces aren't going anywhere, and the Poly Room had served its' purpose...

AVATARS, PROFILES & "GUESTS": We've added another 10-12 avatars to the system, and invite everyone to visit their "User CP" and add one to their banner. You can of course "Browse" for an avatar within your own computer as well.

While adding an avatar, take a few minutes and flesh out your Profiles as well. You can tell fellow Derby Trailers about yourself (Hometown, Bio, Interests, Vocation, Fave racetrack) and add a profile photo as well...

50% of Forum readers continue to be "lurkers", and I urge those that are visiting to register... Those of you reading this that aren't members, and you know who you are, can obviously see how much fun DTers are having, and I can tell you that great friendships have developed among members. We're still awaiting our first engagement announcement, but I anticipate that somewhere along the line! So register!

Sightseek
12-18-2006, 09:37 PM
DERBY TRAIL.COM SWAG: In addition to the popular DT cap, I am putting together the Derby Trail "store", as our embroiderer (Impressive Imprints, Glens Falls) has some really nice things to offer with the snappy logo (Sweatshirts, Jackets, Stadium Blankets, Briefcase; more..). Am going to introduce screen printed t-shirts as well...

Would you consider doing some sort of "fan wear" for the Derby contenders (and possibly for next year's BC)? Horsehats.com is the only place you can buy an item with your favorite horses' name/silks (and if you look around the track they seem to be selling), but some people don't wear hats and if they do it's big and fancy at the Derby ;) Last year, I attended the post position draw for the Derby and got a Jazil pin (no you can't have it DrugS and BTW) and I'd say close to 50 people asked me at the Derby where they could get one and that same amount asked me at the Belmont Stakes. Something like pins, which you could wear on a suit or dress or t-shirts for the more casual fan (baby t's for the girls!!!) I think would sell really well if you put a link on this forum.

Kasept
12-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Christmas fast approaching and the new year with it.. Here's an abbreviated edition of 'News & Notes'..

SERVER: The switchover from shared server service to VPS (virtual personal server) was not without its' pit and pratfalls, but was completed last week and seems to have done the trick.. I know some of you lost PM's in your Inboxes, and the infamous 'Johannesburg Star' thread was lost to the ether, but otherwise we appear to have come out the other side free and clear... I haven't seen any crashing or kick-outs, so I think we've made a big leap forward. Please let me know if you experience
any problems..

DEE TEE STABLES: Chuck Simon and I expect to finish the prospectus/agreement today, and should have a mailing in your hands early next week! It looks like there are more than 50 interested parties, and we should be able to raise a nice amount to get started. We hope to have things up and running by January 15, 2007..

2006 GOES, 2007 ARRIVES: With the end of the year basically here, I'd like to take the opportunity to express warm wishes for a Merry Christmas and healthy, Happy New Year to everyone on Derby Trail. Our new home is now about 7 months old, and new borders move in daily. As with any new arrival in a group setting, some tension can arise, and I want to remind everyone why we're here and what we are trying to accomplish.

Horse Racing is a fractured enterprise. Its' survival depends on the ability of its' participants to empathize universally; comprehend each others' needs; and pull together to improve the greater good. That is equally true here. None of us would be here if we didn't love racing. While there are about 500 Derby Trailers here from all over and with utterly different levels of interest and aptitude in the game, the commonality between all of us is that we love the atmosphere, the horses, the venues, the challenge of wagering or some aspect of the Sport of Kings.

I encourage, make that require, all of us to respect and appreciate each others' commitment to the survival of racing and our participation on Derby Trail as a small contribution to it. And by that I mean that everyone needs to be equally supportive of and respectful toward each other's opinions and views as expressed on the Forum. I'd prefer that Derby Trail set an example of how cooperative and amiable racing-interested parties can be as opposed to an example of what holds back the game.

As always, thanks to everyone for making Derby Trail fun..

Steve