PDA

View Full Version : Saving Private Ryan

Seattleallstar
10-17-2006, 12:27 PM
I fell alseep watching this movie, I havent seen it yet. Is it really that good?

Kasept
10-17-2006, 01:22 PM
I fell alseep watching this movie, I havent seen it yet. Is it really that good?

Was on HBO last night.. I had it on for the first hour... It's very good but difficult viewing. A very tense and intense film. The opening sequences of D-Day are as jarring as any I've seen in a war film.

Watch for the great Paul Giamatti in a 'cameo' about 45 minutes in...

Seattleallstar
10-17-2006, 01:28 PM
I fell asleep when they had Paul Giamatti talking smack, then he sat down which in turn knocked over this huge piece of wood and knocking down the wall. Then it turns out the Germans were inside, which caused a real tense situation, until they got blasted by our guys up top.

2MinsToPost
10-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Graphic is the best word I can use to describe this movie. It disturbed me, the opening scenes, unlike any other war movie I have seen. In fact I only watched it once, don't care to be disturbed like that again.

Seattleallstar
10-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Graphic is the best word I can use to describe this movie. It disturbed me, the opening scenes, unlike any other war movie I have seen. In fact I only watched it once, don't care to be disturbed like that again.

like when Barry Pepper shot the guy clear in the eye, and it blasted off. Thats some good cinema my friend

SentToStud
10-17-2006, 01:41 PM
We've seen SPR a couple times, Very tough but very good movie.

We just sae The Departed a couple nights ago. DiCaprio, Damon and Nicholson. Very entertaining. Nicholson just amazing. 3&1/2 Studs.

alysheba4
10-17-2006, 03:05 PM
saving ryan,s privates was better.........

GenuineRisk
10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
I didn't like it, for the same reasons I don't like most Spielberg films, which is that I think he's blatantly manipulative. Okay, I get it, I get it; we should have gone into WWII sooner. I get it. And I hate the epilogue.

That said, I do think the first 8 minutes are absolutely amazing, extraordinary filmmaking (and the rest of the film just can't live up to them).

And I think "Jaws" and "Close Encounters" are truly great films and I'm sorry he lost it later in his career.

Which is not to criticize anyone who liked it; I just hate being "Spielberged." I also hated "The English Patient" and it won Best Picture, so what do I know?