PDA

View Full Version : Unthinkable, impossible tragedy. Steve Dellinger gone

Kasept
06-22-2015, 06:40 PM
Don't have words. No one knows anything yet. And no one can believe it.

As sweet a guy as any of us know. Inadequate to simply say how much he'll be missed by so many.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/kasept/dell2_n_zpshbmuagal.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/kasept/media/dell2_n_zpshbmuagal.jpg.html)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/kasept/dell3_n_zpsi4qhdue8.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/kasept/media/dell3_n_zpsi4qhdue8.jpg.html)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/kasept/dell1_n_zpss29exawb.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/kasept/media/dell1_n_zpss29exawb.jpg.html)

GPK
06-22-2015, 06:54 PM
:(:(

NTamm1215
06-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Wow, that is awful. Very, very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Such a shame. RIP

ateamstupid
06-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Horrible news. Dell was an absolute blast to hang out with and made people he just met feel like close friends. He'll be sorely missed. Deepest condolences to Matt, Barney and the rest of the Chicago crew for losing their buddy.

GBBob
06-22-2015, 07:02 PM
It's been a horrible hour trying to find out what happened. My wife is a childhood friend of his and we are all in shock. No need to go into details, but such a tragedy. This thread will fill up fast because he touched a lot of lives, but a lot of tears right now.

3kings
06-22-2015, 07:03 PM
This is beyond sad. Was one of the reasons a trip to see the DT Chicago contingent at AP was always so fun. Rest in Peace Dell.

ddthetide
06-22-2015, 07:05 PM
he was a GREAT guy! our first trip to Arlington, Steve met Mrs. D and I at the front gate gave us the grand tour. he was so happy the DT gang had come to Arlington for a Sumwonluvsyou race and to hang out.

GBBob
06-22-2015, 07:06 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...pss29exawb.jpg

Awesome Steve...thank you for posting that. Dell with the boys totally in his house:tro:

knickslions2
06-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Very sad news. Condolences to all that knew him and to his family.

bare it all
06-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Tragic. Such a vibrant personality.

Cajungator26
06-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Dell will be sorely missed. He was one of the first of the DT crew that I had the chance to meet and he made me feel like I'd known him my whole life. Barney, Matt and crew: you are all in my thoughts and prayers. This is just too unfair. :(

outofthebox
06-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Condolences to his family and friends...RIP

Danzig
06-22-2015, 08:04 PM
oh, wow. just awful news. he was one of several I met at a sumwon race.
my heartfelt condolences to his family, his friends. so sorry to you all.

went back and found those, from sumwon's Churchill downs race. it was such a pretty day...was looking over all the posts leading up, everyone was so excited.
I'm just blown away at the news.

saratogadew
06-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Prayers for family and friends, and all who's lives he touched.

Sightseek
06-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Oh my gosh, what terrible news. So very, very sad.

Rest in Peace Steve and my thoughts and prayers are with those who knew him best.

Cannon Shell
06-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Just cant think of anything to say except sometimes life sucks...

Heels1989
06-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Stunned and saddened by this unexpected and tragic news. Very hard to not have a great time if Dell was present. He made this board and our world better place. Most sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP Dell. You will be missed. :(

Hickory Hill Hoff
06-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Shocked :( he'll be missed here ....... R.I.P. Dell

Pants II
06-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Rest in peace, Dell.

Condolences to his friends and family.

pmacdaddy
06-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Rest in Peace

philcski
06-22-2015, 09:50 PM
I'm shocked and saddened... Dell was a great guy and we always had a blast together... I'll never forget taking over Ruth's Chris in Hollywood after the BC '09 with the Chicago boys. RIP Steve

GBBob
06-22-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm shocked and saddened... Dell was a great guy and we always had a blast together... I'll never forget taking over Ruth's Chris in Hollywood after the BC '09 with the Chicago boys. RIP Steve

:tro:

Travis Stone
06-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Wow, such sad news. Many thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

my miss storm cat
06-22-2015, 10:33 PM
I'm painfully sorry for his family, his friends and for all who knew him.

Completely shocking.

I didn't know Dell at all save a few pm's of late but he added much to this forum and will so obviously be missed...just deeply sorry for him and for all those who loved him.

blackthroatedwind
06-22-2015, 10:35 PM
Wow, that's very sad. The few times I was fortunate enough to see him it was always clear what a nice person he was.

My deepest sympathies to his many friends here.

geeker2
06-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Dell? OMG no....so so sorry....so so sorry

satan's twin
06-22-2015, 11:30 PM
It's too soon to grasp this completely. The guy was a character. He worked for me for more than 25 years. There were so many trips, so many laughs, so much fun.

We shared a perserve, jaded sense of humor. Steve didnt have a malicious bone in his body yet nothing gave him more fun than to needle the hell out of people just to see the rise he could get out of them. He posted the dumbest, most outlandish opinions he could imagine here just to see what came back to him. He knew just about every burr under the saddle of every poster here. Once he knew where you parked your goat, he loved to take it for a walk. The recaps of some of these threads over beers at Arlington on Saturdays were always a highlight of the week. But in all honesty, he thought of you all as his friends......well, maybe not Revolt.

Mr. Byk, you had no bigger fan or more loyal follower than Steve Dellinger. He loved your shows, your DT forum and your friendship. When you mentioned him by name on your shows, he beamed for a week. He copied your daily selections and distributed them at the track and the OTB's. He swore by your bar-b-q and swore at your critics because he belived in you from day one. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you did for our dear friend.

Danzig
06-22-2015, 11:55 PM
It's too soon to grasp this completely. The guy was a character. He worked for me for more than 25 years. There were so many trips, so many laughs, so much fun.

We shared a perserve, jaded sense of humor. Steve didnt have a malicious bone in his body yet nothing gave him more fun than to needle the hell out of people just to see the rise he could get out of them. He posted the dumbest, most outlandish opinions he could imagine here just to see what came back to him. He knew just about every burr under the saddle of every poster here. Once he knew where you parked your goat, he loved to take it for a walk. The recaps of some of these threads over beers at Arlington on Saturdays were always a highlight of the week. But in all honesty, he thought of you all as his friends......well, maybe not Revolt.

Mr. Byk, you had no bigger fan or more loyal follower than Steve Dellinger. He loved your shows, your DT forum and your friendship. When you mentioned him by name on your shows, he beamed for a week. He copied your daily selections and distributed them at the track and the OTB's. He swore by your bar-b-q and swore at your critics because he belived in you from day one. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you did for our dear friend.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and everyone else who knew dell can give each other the strength to get thru this terribly difficult time. I hope all the great memories you all have of him will help ease the pain and sadness.

Heels1989
06-23-2015, 04:51 AM

:tro::tro::tro:

Barney - very sorry for the loss of your friend. I will be in Saratoga later this week and will have a toast thinking of you all and in Steve's honor.

jms62
06-23-2015, 05:09 AM
Sad news to wake up to. Dell could rip you to shreds in the politcs forum yet be the first to congratulate you in the selections thread. Im sorry I will never have that drink with him.

RHT2004
06-23-2015, 05:17 AM
RIP Dell.

TheSpyder
06-23-2015, 05:29 AM
He was my friend and like many of you, I never met him.

Still, that was my friend.

I will miss him. My heart goes out to all of you who knew him better.

Scott

keithting
06-23-2015, 05:29 AM
Our prayers go out to his family and friends.....

steve
06-23-2015, 05:30 AM
another family member lost

herkhorse
06-23-2015, 05:46 AM
Wow, I'm stunned. don't know what to say. A huge loss for the DT community.
My heart goes out to his close friends and family.

brockguy
06-23-2015, 05:54 AM
This is just utterly devastating news to hear, my condolences go to his family and many friends - I was so privileged to spend many a day / night with Steve (and was often his roommate on our trips) and he was such a ridiculously fun guy to be around win lose or draw - there are countless amazing memories to treasure! Future jaunts to the racetrack won't be the same without you :(

Bogey
06-23-2015, 06:09 AM
Sad news, my condolences to his family and friends.

RIP

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-23-2015, 06:11 AM
dt has lost one of the best guys ive ever met.I just spoke to him sat from gulfstream.we were going over the cards from around the country.He sounded upbeat as usual.He was a great friend ,racetracker,and 'stand up' guy We had some great times over the years.breeders cups ,travers weekends,and just hanging at arlington.I as many who knew him,wont look at the drf again without thinking of him a bit. He will be missed by many.my deepest condolences to his family,and barney.

matt

OldDog
06-23-2015, 07:29 AM
Such sad news... He was sharp and witty and that's just from what I saw of him here. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Dell.

GPK
06-23-2015, 07:35 AM
This just sucks on so many levels. He was such a great dude. Had some great conversations with him back in the day about family, kids, etc.. The pic from Saratoga that Byk posted brought back so many great memories from that opening weekend in '07.

My heart goes out to his family, Barney, Bob, Hooves and the rest of the Chitown crew.

MaTH716
06-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Terrible news. My deepest condolences go out to his family and close friends.

Rest In Peace Dell.

Rudeboyelvis
06-23-2015, 08:29 AM
3 pages in and still can't even begin to accept this. Horrific news. RIP Steve, deepest condolences to his family, friends, the CHI-Town DT'ers - Barney, Bob, Matt.

Stunned and Sickened by this news.

South Beach Luv
06-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Terrible news, always enjoyed seeing him at Arlington. Condolences to his friends and family. RIP Dell.

fantini33
06-23-2015, 08:57 AM
My tiny brain will never fully be able to wrap itself around things like this. Had some friendly banter here but having never met in person was clearly my loss...

RIP

cal828
06-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Sorry to hear about Dell. I didn't really know him except through his commentary here at DT which I pretty much read on a daily basis. He was one of the regulars here that helped to make this place what it is. Sorry for the loss to his family and to DT and to his many friends wherever they might be.

asudevil
06-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Sorry to have never met him.

Condolences to his family and many pals on DT.

pmayjr
06-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Sorry to hear about Dell. I didn't really know him except through his commentary here at DT which I pretty much read on a daily basis. He was one of the regulars here that helped to make this place what it is. Sorry for the loss to his family and to DT and to his many friends wherever they might be.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. RIP

pointman
06-23-2015, 10:38 AM
I was incredibly shocked and deeply saddened to get in my car on the way to work this morning and hear this horrific, tragic news on ATR.

I regret that I never got the privilege to get out to Chicago and meet Dell but like a number of people here I felt like I got to know him through his posts which demonstrated his passion and love for the game. I find it incredible to think he was with us playing the ponies as usual just this past Saturday. He was obviously an incredibly intelligent, witty, passionate individual who has helped make this game the greatest sport in the world.

He was one of the people that have made this forum the greatest forum in horse racing. It will not be the same without him. He will obviously be sorely missed around here.

My deepest sympathies go out to the Dellinger family, Bob, Barney, and the entire Chicago crew. May he Rest in Peace.

viscount26
06-23-2015, 10:59 AM
This sucks on so many levels. I remember a weekend at Saratoga when I first met the Chicago crew, and shared a ring tone app of call to the post that a good friend of mine recorded. We spent the whole week end playing it whenever Sam Grossman was in the backyard by the BBQ. It was hilarious seeing the look on his face
RIP Steve

jwkniska
06-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Unthinkable's right. Won't be the same without Dell around, at AP, here or anywhere else. Way, way too early in life for someone like this to go.

RIP Dell

casp0555
06-23-2015, 11:20 AM
I'm speechless....condolences to Steve's family and friends, Rest in Peace Friend....

3kings
06-23-2015, 11:31 AM
This sucks on so many levels. I remember a weekend at Saratoga when I first met the Chicago crew, and shared a ring tone app of call to the post that a good friend of mine recorded. We spent the whole week end playing it whenever Sam Grossman was in the backyard by the BBQ. It was hilarious seeing the look on his face
RIP Steve

He later shared this ring tone with me at Arlington Park. I still use it and when it went off today I had a feeling of sadness but also a rememberence of what a kind fun guy he was. If after this all heals a little bit and there is something planned in his honor at Arlington please let us know because I think a few out of towners would like to attend.

GBBob
06-23-2015, 11:56 AM
He later shared this ring tone with me at Arlington Park. I still use it and when it went off today I had a feeling of sadness but also a rememberence of what a kind fun guy he was. If after this all heals a little bit and there is something planned in his honor at Arlington please let us know because I think a few out of towners would like to attend.

There will absolutely be something later this year. Barney and I both texted in agreement last night that it would be appropriate and fitting to remember him where he most loved to be. As it comes together in due time, there will be updates. Thanks Tom for bringing it up.

paisjpq
06-23-2015, 12:35 PM
this is really sad news. very sorry for those of you who were close to him. I only met him once or twice but he was a great guy.

Antitrust32
06-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Having a hard time believing what I'm seeing.. We will sure miss you, Dell.

somerfrost
06-23-2015, 01:05 PM
I have no words to express myself...RIP Dell.

nebrady
06-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Late last night I found out the terrible news that I lost one of my very best friends Steve Dellinger. I'm still truly in shock and numb. I met Steve through the dogtrack in Delevan Wi and would go down to Arlington every now and then. Steve always made you feel good about life and would always be smiling and joy to be around. I have so many memories of Dellinger am truly still lost of words. He is one of the first people I met when I moved from North Dakota to Wisconsin. He helped me become a better handicapper and through him and Barney and GreenBaybob I got to be in the paddock in Arlington. A memory I will cherish forever! Just the other week I texted him about a horse called ATouchofstarquality who won. He had him on his watch list for 2 years. He played him in contest. Steve you are a touch of star quality! I will MISS YOU and wish I had one more chance to tell you how I appreciated your friendship. RIP my friend!

SniperSB23
06-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Just heard the news and am completely stunned and at a loss for words. RIP Steve, the world lost a great man. I will miss your laugh forever.

philcski
06-23-2015, 02:09 PM
This just sucks on so many levels. He was such a great dude. Had some great conversations with him back in the day about family, kids, etc.. The pic from Saratoga that Byk posted brought back so many great memories from that opening weekend in '07.

My heart goes out to his family, Barney, Bob, Hooves and the rest of the Chitown crew.

Now I really wish I had made it into that photo. Was off betting or something. Definitely an epic weekend.

joeydb
06-23-2015, 03:08 PM
This is terrible news. I never got to meet him personally, and now I won't get the chance.

My condolences to his family and his many friends. He must have been a great guy judging by all the positive words said here.

Crown@club
06-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Wished I had the chance to meet Dell.

My condolences to his family and friends, Hooves and the Chicago Crew.

GenuineRisk
06-23-2015, 05:22 PM
No no no no no no no.

Oh Dell, who am I going to spar with in the Politics thread anymore? :( You are leaving a big hole in a lot of people's lives.

Condolences to his family, coworkers and many friends.

God, this sucks.

mclem0822
06-23-2015, 05:27 PM
My deepest condolences to his family and friends. I never met Dell, but i can tell from reading these stories he enriched many people's lives. May he RIP.

declansharbor
06-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Damnnnn

You could just tell by reading his posts that he was a good man.

This is my first time on in a few days and it feels like a punch to the gut. And I've never even met the guy.

RIP DELL and condolences to his family and friends.

:(

GBBob
06-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Funeral arrangements are on a FB page I believe....I have them via text but am sadly clueless how to post. If someone who has my cell can text me I'll text them to you.
Bob

Kasept
06-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Funeral arrangements are on a FB page I believe....I have them via text but am sadly clueless how to post. If someone who has my cell can text me I'll text them to you.
Bob

VISITATION -- Thursday, June 25, 2015
3-9 pm
Skaja Terrace Funeral Home
7812 North Milwaukee Avenue
Niles, Illinois 60714

FUNERAL MASS -- Friday, June 26, 2015
11:30 am
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
1775 Grove St, Glenview, IL 60025

INTERMENT -- Bohemian National Cemetary

In lieu of flowers, donations to the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund, P.O. Box 803, Elmhurst, IL 60126 or www.pdjf.org, would be appreciated.

GBBob
06-23-2015, 08:06 PM
Thnx Steve:tro:

ddthetide
06-23-2015, 08:51 PM
Steve, Steve and Barney

satan's twin
06-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Last year at this time Steve and I went to London with our friend Kevin Marko where we joined up with Brockguy to go to Royal Ascot. The day we arrived was a rare glorious sunny Saturday and it was also the day England was to play its first World Cup soccer match against Italy. It seemed as though every person in London was in a pub by late afternoon and half in the bag hours before the match began. My daughter had spent her previous year of college there and during my visis to see her, I became familiar with several choice watering holes. In Whitechapel, I knew of a pretty rough pub that was a slam dunk for providing idiot behavior from its patrons and maximum laughs for us. Smokers there can only drink and smoke on the street next to the pubs which meant the pub was empty with a couple hundred people hugging its walls outside. Once inside Dellinger spotted a girl face painting the St. George Cross ( pale white base under a bright red cross-a national symbol in England) onto the face of damn near every person in the bar. He couldn't wait to get his face painted. Unfortunately for him, I got to her first, and with a ten pound tip, I gave her specific instructions for how Steve's face flag was to turn out. She primped and painted him for about ten minutes and sent him back to us. Fortunately, there were no mirrors readily available for him to savor the art. We immediately encouraged him to step outside onto the sidewalk, start screaming "we're gonna win tonight" and high-five with everyone out there. With a half dozen Heinekens already stoking him, we really didn't have to encourage our boy all that much. He bolted out of the pub and into the center of that mob screaming and yelling like a banshee about how "we're winning tonight. That was easily one of the roughest, nastiest looking assemblages of ghouls iin all of London. Some were even men! Instead of the enthusiasic greetings he anticipated, Dellinger got pummeled with forearm smashes, elbows and body shots. And that was only half as bad as the verbal abuse. One pass through that gauntlet was all he was up for before returning to the comfort and solitude on the barstool adjacent to us. His first comment was " those f...ers really hate Americans." Apparently, they weren't real fond of Italians either. We pulled him into the bathroom to look into the mirror to see the Italian flag painted across his face that we had substituted onto his mug. We howled when he started screeching at us. But just for a minute. Nobody loved a joke more than him, even when he was the target. Keep raising hell brother. I'll miss ya.

Rupert Pupkin
06-24-2015, 02:22 AM
I'm in a state of shock. I never met Dell but I always felt like I knew him. I read so many of his posts. It was obvious his personality was bigger than life just from reading his posts. I feel terrible. I can't even imagine how all of you feel who were good friends with him. My deepest condolences to all of his friends and family.

joeydb
06-24-2015, 05:35 AM
Last year at this time Steve and I went to London with our friend Kevin Marko where we joined up with Brockguy to go to Royal Ascot. The day we arrived was a rare glorious sunny Saturday and it was also the day England was to play its first World Cup soccer match against Italy. It seemed as though every person in London was in a pub by late afternoon and half in the bag hours before the match began. My daughter had spent her previous year of college there and during my visis to see her, I became familiar with several choice watering holes. In Whitechapel, I knew of a pretty rough pub that was a slam dunk for providing idiot behavior from its patrons and maximum laughs for us. Smokers there can only drink and smoke on the street next to the pubs which meant the pub was empty with a couple hundred people hugging its walls outside. Once inside Dellinger spotted a girl face painting the St. George Cross ( pale white base under a bright red cross-a national symbol in England) onto the face of damn near every person in the bar. He couldn't wait to get his face painted. Unfortunately for him, I got to her first, and with a ten pound tip, I gave her specific instructions for how Steve's face flag was to turn out. She primped and painted him for about ten minutes and sent him back to us. Fortunately, there were no mirrors readily available for him to savor the art. We immediately encouraged him to step outside onto the sidewalk, start screaming "we're gonna win tonight" and high-five with everyone out there. With a half dozen Heinekens already stoking him, we really didn't have to encourage our boy all that much. He bolted out of the pub and into the center of that mob screaming and yelling like a banshee about how "we're winning tonight. That was easily one of the roughest, nastiest looking assemblages of ghouls iin all of London. Some were even men! Instead of the enthusiasic greetings he anticipated, Dellinger got pummeled with forearm smashes, elbows and body shots. And that was only half as bad as the verbal abuse. One pass through that gauntlet was all he was up for before returning to the comfort and solitude on the barstool adjacent to us. His first comment was " those f...ers really hate Americans." Apparently, they weren't real fond of Italians either. We pulled him into the bathroom to look into the mirror to see the Italian flag painted across his face that we had substituted onto his mug. We howled when he started screeching at us. But just for a minute. Nobody loved a joke more than him, even when he was the target. Keep raising hell brother. I'll miss ya.

:tro: Awesome story. Thanks for posting it.

TheSpyder
06-24-2015, 11:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SL9ZYD4omw

Scav
06-24-2015, 01:51 PM
The thing that I will remember most about Steve would be his laugh, once he got going, it was priceless and it would make you laugh along with him.

While a great person to be around, he was also about as blunt as possible, which was very refreshing in the days of political correctness. He could be going on a tangent about something ridiculous going on and then a minute later he is having a serious conversation with me about life.

I'll be making the trek to pay my respects tomorrow night, for someone way to young to have gone, and if there is ever a positive thing to something like death, I'd like to think that maybe this happened to provide a wake up call to his friends and anyone that knew him that the next day isn't a guarantee and hug your loved ones.

dagolfer33
06-24-2015, 11:20 PM
This is devastating news.....heavy-hearted feelings going out to everyone here. RIP Dell

Kitan
06-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Wow....RIP Dellinger...

Didn't communicate with him much but seemingly was an awesome guy who went well before his time...

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-25-2015, 03:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SL9ZYD4omw

thanks for this..mac is in the frame abit also..dt at its best..

Alabama Stakes
06-25-2015, 05:23 AM
I hope he went between the first and second race, and was alive in the double. RIP

Gate Dancer
06-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Loved watching the video from Arlington. I only experienced Dell through this forum but can feel the love from each of you and feel I know him a little better. I'll be at Arlington on July 4th and will raise a glass to him before the first race.

fpsoxfan
06-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Very sad news. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but after reading all of these very nice comments about the type of person he was, I really wish I had. It certainly makes me appreciate even more the time we have with all of our friends and loved ones. Life is way too short, and he was taken way too soon, but it sure looks like he lived it to the fullest. I will toast to him on Opening Day. My condolences to all of you that knew him.

FATPIANO
06-25-2015, 10:39 AM
RIP, you will be missed by many

GBBob
06-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Here is link to Guest Book at Funeral Home. Steve's family would certainly appreciate hearing from his DT Family.

http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/batesville/guestbook.aspx?n=stephen-dellinger&pid=175143851&page=2

casp0555
06-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Here is link to Guest Book at Funeral Home. Steve's family would certainly appreciate hearing from his DT Family.

http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/batesville/guestbook.aspx?n=stephen-dellinger&pid=175143851&page=2

Thanks Bob......

Needing the Wire
06-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Condolences to all Family and Friends. Rest in Peace, Steve.

my miss storm cat
06-25-2015, 07:33 PM

Thank you for posting it for all of us.

Kasept
06-26-2015, 07:27 AM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/kasept/Dell_n_zpsl0epjhkv.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/kasept/media/Dell_n_zpsl0epjhkv.jpg.html)

Rileyoriley
06-26-2015, 08:16 AM
Didn't know him personally but will miss his posts in the political threads. Hope he's in a better, non-political place. :)

GBBob
06-26-2015, 09:25 AM
I printed all the pages of wonderful tributes and will place in his casket this morning so he can have your thoughts always.

geeker2
06-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Didn't know him personally but will miss his posts in the political threads. Hope he's in a better, non-political place. :)

In honor of Dell the political forum should be closed until further notice :p:{>:

I printed all the pages of wonderful tributes and will place in his casket this morning so he can have your thoughts always.

Nice...very nice !

jms62
06-26-2015, 12:09 PM
In honor of Dell the political forum should be closed until further notice :p:{>:

Nice...very nice !

Or at least have a sticky to retire Dells number ;)

Kasept
06-26-2015, 12:27 PM
In honor of Dell the political forum should be closed until further notice!

Or at least have a sticky to retire Dells number ;)

Bob suggested adding Dell's name to the Society Room which was a great idea..

timmgirvan
06-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Bob suggested adding Dell's name to the Society Room which was a great idea..

I'm literally weeping as I read this entire thread. This mans' life rippled through so many walks of life at Derby Trail. He will be sorely missed! It appears that we were the winners that Dells life touched so magnificently.

Thank you all for sharing your hearts about Steve!

bigrun
06-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Only knew dell from his posts in the politics forum and enjoyed his point counterpoint retorts to any issue..always had an answer to any of his 'foes':$:

52 way too young..Rest In Peace young fellow..you are missed..

Kasept
07-05-2015, 09:52 AM
From Greg Dellinger, his eulogy at Steve's service..

Good afternoon. My name is Greg Dellinger. On behalf of my mother, LaVerne, and my brother Dan, we would like to thank you for being here. We are so very appreciative of your support, as there is no doubt, we all loved my brother Steve.

Steve lived life. In fact, I would say he lived life bigger, bolder, brighter, almost double the voltage, than anybody else I know. He celebrated at every opportunity, many times just for the joy of it. And always sharing the happiness. I think that is why horse racing was his passion and calling. The elegance, excitement, intrigue, romance, and incomparable drama. He rarely missed a moment, and was always part of the action.

I sometimes would wonder where this came from, as growing up, we were not around horses. I mean once my mom let Steve and I ride a horse around a ring through the park district, yet that was it. We did think about getting a couple of horses and riding them from our house, past the library and the A&P, down Glenview Road and past Flower City, grabbing a beer at the Glenview Inn, and then right out of Dodge.

Steve had this amazing knack for handicapping. Creative, and super fast with figures, he would come up with the amazing scenarios. More often than not, they would come in.

Citation, Whirlaway, John Henry, Secretariat, American Pharoh, and now the new colt Irish Pharoh, Steve knew these horses to be the very sharpest cuts of all. He understood them, their trainers, owners, and their jockeys. He could do this because he cared.

Steve always, I mean always, called it the way it was. Loving and kind with an amazing spirit, personality and optimism. He would text me, and encourage me to stay strong, as tomorrow will always be a better day. Those my friends are his exact words.

As we grieve today, I would like share with you what Steve told me just a few months back that there is always a tomorrow that can’t be as bad as today or yesterday. He told me he would always be here for me, for us. And you know what, he is. In our memories, thoughts, and prayers. I can feel it, his laugh, smile, and spirit.

Steve won the race of life. He did it his way. No photo finish, and not down to the wire. By the eighth pole he had it nailed, by the sixteenth, he was so far ahead. He finished and won it all. He is home. The glory of heaven. And if you are wondering, as we all are how to carry on, we have Steve to help us, as he told me just a week ago: Life goes on for all, and stay strong!!!!!

God Speed, and Rest In Peace Steve Dellinger, we love you.

casp0555
07-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Thanks for posting this Steve

GBBob
07-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Big update tomorrow and a bump as well.......Steve Dellinger day 9/19 at AP

GBBob
06-22-2016, 08:14 AM
One year horrible Anniversary of Steve's passing....he is always missed.

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-22-2016, 11:10 AM
One year horrible Anniversary of Steve's passing....he is always missed.

miss him alot as do most on here..

casp0555
06-21-2020, 11:23 AM
Tomorrow will mark 5 years since Steve left this world. Just remembering some of the "discussions" and opinions that Dell shared with us all.

Rest in Peace Dell...